Divorce - Legalizing in DR?

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Hey Guys!

ARGH! Long story short, I - a Canadian Citizen - divorced (in Ontario, Canada) my Dominican husband in 2005 after less than one year of marriage. We had a daughter together, although he's not listed on her BC and he's never supported her, and she's my last name, etc...

We married here in the DR. My daughter was born in Canada.

Anyway, I went through the Canadian channels, got the divorce done in 2005 in Canada, and all was well. Now we're living here in the DR and he has told me that the DR system is not recognizing our divorce, and that we need to go through the entire process again...but here in the DR. It doesn't directly affect me, per se, simply because I can happily remarry and go on with my Canadian life in Canada...but he can't here and I don't want to play dirty.

My question, then: have ANY of you gone through this? Must I re-divorce for his sake here in the DR or can the documents from Canada be recognized, somehow, here?

He issued me a new certificate to sign, but it denied having a child together and I don't think I can sign that as it'd be lying to the court. I'm a wee bit confused...could use some proper DR advice, especially if any of you have been through this :)

Thanks gang!