Hi i havent loggedi n here in ages and just came by to ask a important question PLZ

ElMayimbeManny

May 13, 2008
PLEASE HELP ME OUT!

i dont want to be here in the states this christmas so i decided to try and buy a flight to the DR. i am a U.S citizen (my luck...) and can't go on a one way trip. so i want to buy 2 different tickets. the cheap one way ticket to get the hell out of this place and a expensive refundable ticket to "return" on that date. if i go to DR and cancel my other ticket, will i get all my money back?

thanks to everyone that will atleast try to help me out, god im miserable living here

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I believe if you buy a full fare refundable ticket you can then turn it back in for your money back. i would not be suprised if there was some sort of processing fee to do this as they are charging for everything except for water on the flights.

Bob K

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Depends on the airline.I have one friend that got a refund to the credit card he used,others could only get a "Credit" with the airline for future use,one guy had to wait here about two weeks for a cash re-imbersment.
Check with the airline first.
I buy a "return" for about 8 months in the future,if I need to change the date,I pay the "Fine".It can be less than the other alternatives,and you will have a Way Out if you need it!
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I tend to fly with one way tickets a lot, and even though the regulations require a return ticket out of DR, the issue only came up once, when I was flying from Colombia last time (Copa Airlines). The girl at the check-in counter asked me to show the return ticket, to which I acted all surprised and assured her that I fly one way all the time and never had a problem, and that was it.

My plan B is to just go online to orbitz.com while at the airport and buy a refundable ticket, show it to the airline, and cancel it upon landing. At the worst the loss would be a processing fee of $10. I wouldn't buy a ticket directly from the airline if I can help it - it's going to be harder to get the money back.

@Bob K - some airlines, such as Spirit, now charge for water too. Last time I asked for water and they said "$3 please". They won't be seeing me again soon.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I believe if you buy a full fare refundable ticket you can then turn it back in for your money back. i would not be suprised if there was some sort of processing fee to do this as they are charging for everything except for water on the flights.

Bob K

Bob, Sorry to say, Spirit charges for Water....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I USED TO TAKE AN EMPTY BOTTLE TO PASS THROUGH SECURITY,AND FILL IT BEFORE GETTING ON THE PLANE.
N ow I fly JET BLUE,they give you whatever,and as much,as you want to drink for free,"snacks" too!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Among other things you might want to get the return to Miami or San Juan. Seems like those might be cheaper if you end up not getting the refund.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Among other things you might want to get the return to Miami or San Juan. Seems like those might be cheaper if you end up not getting the refund.

That seems like a good suggestion. I don't recall it being suggested before when we had threads with a similar question.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
We came back to the DR on a one way ticket. No problem. The time before we were coming on a one way ticket on Spirit and was told at check in we had to have a round trip. I bought a refundable return. When we landed I called and got a complete refund.
I think it is random whether you need a roundtrip or not.