Continental Airlines "first Bag" no longer free!!!!

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~Continental Airlines is no longer allowing your first bag to fly for free from the US-Canada to The Carribean!!!

They have jumped on the baggage fee bus, they will now charge you as follows:

First Bag $25.00 pp
Second Bag $40.00 pp

They however are NOT charging for first bags flying to Mexico??? and they use to catagorize Mexico, The Carribean and South America into the same grouping, now they have split it leaving the Carribean in its own catagory.

If you purchased tickets for flights on or before June 1st 2011 for upcoming flights you will be grandfathered in and NOT pay for the first bag, however the second bag will cost you $30.00 up from the old $25.00 fee per bag.

They all get you coming and going!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused::confused::confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
May 29, 2006
The should put bag fees into the fare when you look for tickets online. Saving $50 or $100 on a ticket is useless if they come back and charge you over $100 because you decide to bring something with an overweight/oversize fee. It's not like it's clear online, and you can't get them on the phone.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
The should put bag fees into the fare when you look for tickets online. Saving $50 or $100 on a ticket is useless if they come back and charge you over $100 because you decide to bring something with an overweight/oversize fee. It's not like it's clear online, and you can't get them on the phone.

~I agree, we have always flown Continental Airlines, and since the merge with United things have changed as we figured they would. What really stinks is that I just booked 8 of us to come down in June 2012 for our sons wedding, and at the time we booked we did not know of the NEW baggage fees, now I have to pay an additional $130.00 pp in baggage fees, we will all be carrying 2 suitcases in with all the essentials for the wedding!!!

Last edited:

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Hopefully they will lock you in at the price per bag at the time of booking but the airlines are getting so fee happy it is not for sure. :cry:

I think that it is a real shame that they are so hungry for space for high dollar cargo space that they are shafting the customer that is sitting in the ever shrinking seats inside the plane.

SDQ19

Feb 6, 2012
I agree with you guys as far as the airlines "shafting" passengers with baggage fees, but I don't agree with the comment that the price of bag fees should be added to the fare price. Not everyone checks bags. I understand to DR almost everyone takes at least, or more bags. but there are the few people who don't, and just take a carry on. This may seem odd, to just take a carry on bag, but if you don't have to take much stuff, it works out.

I'm going to DR for 3 days in the coming week, and will only be taking a carry on bad. I'm an airline employee, and I too have to pay for checked bags. So its not free for all of us. Some airlines have different policies. That I know off, Southwest is the only airline that doesn't charge for bags. You can check up to two bags and not pay a penny. but they don't fly to DR, only within the U.S.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you have a Continental Airlines credit card and are a member(free) of the OnePas club, you get 2 free bags under the old system(cant speeak to the new one) plus double points whern buying CO tx plus an upgrade chance on on-line checkin... $89 last time.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Why don't they weigh the passengers too? I get ****ed off paying excess baggage when I only weigh 100 lbs. Why should I pay for 20 lbs excess when the person in front of me weighs 180 lbs?

Matilda

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Agreed... we got flagged the last time for being overwieght ( the luggage--- duh!)
We repacked on the floor - shuffled bag to bag to carry-on - and complied... no problema.

Net result, we flew as planned, w/ everything, slightly jumbled.
The plane carried the same weight .. just a bit of politics.

Its all cow excrement if you as me.