In DR in Mid January for the first time!

Bevo34`

Aug 20, 2011
Hello,

I've been reading through post for the past few weeks and decided to finally signup.

I will be traveling to Sosua in mid January and wanted some feedback on current conditions in the DR.

First alot of people report crimes and issues with Tourist being Robbed? I've traveled to Mexico a few times and speak 60% Spanish and was wondering how safe are things at the moment in DR.

Also wanted to know if anyone will be traveling in or in DR around Jan 18 thru Jan 23 who may want to
hang out for drinks. I will be traveling alone and staying at the New Garden Hotel.

Also if any would be provide me with the latest hang out spots to me some chicas that would be great as well.

Thanks

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
I'm arriving on 1/12 but I'll be at the airport picking up my buddy on 1/18. No problem giving you the 411. He's coming in on Continental and we've been coming here over 6years. Your decision. Holla if you want.

Bevo34`

Aug 20, 2011
Thanks alot for the advice, are there any areas , clubs, bars etc that should be avoided? I'm just coming to Sosua to hang out do some partying, drinking, and want to avoid the problem clubs. I'm traveling Solo and also want to know some respectable cabs services to get around town safely.

Bevo34`

Aug 20, 2011
Sounds good jad604 I will msg you my info. It would be great to get the 411. My flight does not land in DR until 1/19 so will be able to meet up sometime later that evening.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
First alot of people report crimes and issues with Tourist being Robbed? I've traveled to Mexico a few times and speak 60% Spanish and was wondering how safe are things at the moment in DR.

Dang, man, you were almost safe. Generally they don't mess with you if you speak 61% Spanish. Now, 60%....your bound to get stabbed. And don't jump on me, I didn't make the rules.

My advice...get some Rosetta Stone, a private tutor, hell, you could even listen to Antony Santos a few hundred times. But for the love of God, do NOT go until you are at 61% Spanish speaking ability.

I'm just sayin'

SHALENA
La k got your back
;)

Bevo34`

Aug 20, 2011
Alright guess I better hit the books on the Spanish. Would not want to get stab over a couple mispronounced words lol.

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
Sounds good jad604 I will msg you my info. It would be great to get the 411. My flight does not land in DR until 1/19 so will be able to meet up sometime later that evening.

That fine. We'll be at Classico's

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
Thanks alot for the advice, are there any areas , clubs, bars etc that should be avoided? I'm just coming to Sosua to hang out do some partying, drinking, and want to avoid the problem clubs. I'm traveling Solo and also want to know some respectable cabs services to get around town safely.

PM me when you can so you know your acceptable rates. I know two people. One very well for 3 years, the other a nice older guy. I'm looking for their cards now.

May 29, 2006
The biggest concern for crime are pick pockets, particularly in discos. Girls usually work in pairs and esp target drunk and horny guys which there is no shortage of. Cheap wigs are a red flag. If a girl is caught, she'll run out and take the wig off to avoid being described properly and then find a motorbike to take off on. In one case I heard a guy was followed into a bathroom and a girl went for his wallet while he was peeing. He must have flashed some cash at the bar. I keep money enough for one bar in one pocket and back up money in another, more secure pocket. If I need more cash, I transfer it in the bathroom. One trick I've heard of is to put a rubber band around your wallet. I keep it in my front pocket or avoid having a wallet on me at all.

Motorbike taxis are everywhere and far far cheaper and easier than a car taxi. It's a good rule of thumb that if you see a dozen or more bikes on a corner, there is something to checkout nearby. Be careful getting on when you wear shorts because it's very easy to get a burn from the muffler on the right side of the bike. At New Garden there is plenty within a couple blocks.

Use common sense. Many crimes are of opportunity. If you must bring a cell phone, buy a $20 disposable at Target and leave the iPhone at home. Leave your credit cards in the safe unless you are eating in a high end restaurant. I've seen guys flash $1000 at a bar then come back the next day complaining they got pick-pocketed when they got drunk later on. Go figure.

There are plenty of cybercafes so bringing a laptop is also optional. If you do bring a laptop, have it backed up online before you come. USE A SURGE PROTECTOR.

The only other scam to look out for are bars that will pad your bill. You think you had three beers and paid, then the next night some bartender comes after you with a slip of paper that says you didn't pay and owe 500 pesos. Bars that do this are well known to the regulars down there.

At New Garden you will have no shortage of other people to give you pointers, esp if you are looking for chicas. Check out the other hotels in town though because there are plenty of other options and there is more to Sosua than the triangle that makes up the downtown.

Try to make it to Cabarete for at least one day. It's a short trip and the beach is nicer, but the town isn't much for walking around. If you like being IN the ocean, Cabarete is the place to be and some hotels are cheaper than in Sosua for what you get. I liked the bungalows at Hotel Kaoba.

If you are there for the girls, be sure to read this:
Prostitution in the Dominican Republic

Bevo34`

Aug 20, 2011
Thanks PeterInBrat that info is very helpful. The rubber band around the wallet is a great idea. Sound like you have be to the DR quite a few times. Will take your advise on Cabarate.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
You should be pretty safe in Sosua. It's a tourist area with a lot of sex tourists so they are used to seeing solo American men there. New Garden has prostitutes that hang out there and a lot of tourists from the USA. In general, a lot of people will probably be looking to get money from you - from the hookers, to the male tour guides, the shoe shine kids, the disabled folks, etc. All in all, it's pretty safe as long as you're not belligerently drunk or bring a crack head to your room and doze off. NG has a safe for your passport and other valuables.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Hello,

I've been reading through post for the past few weeks and decided to finally signup.

I will be traveling to Sosua in mid January and wanted some feedback on current conditions in the DR.

Also wanted to know if anyone will be traveling in or in DR around Jan 18 thru Jan 23 who may want to
hang out for drinks. I will be traveling alone and staying at the New Garden Hotel.

Also if any would be provide me with the latest hang out spots to me some chicas that would be great as well.

Thanks

The Dominican Republic at its worst is safer by far than Mexico at its best.

Stay away from drugs and anyone who calls out "Hey, my Freng!"

Don't wear any jewelry. A cheap to modest wristwatch with a cloth or leather band is adviseable.

Forget the "rubber band around the wallet" thing. Lock your wallet and passport in the room safe. Carry a copy of your passport (have the front desk make an extra copy for you when you check in) and as much money as you plan to spend while away from the hotel in one pocket, small bills and change to tip with in the other. Never "dig" in your big money pocket or count large bills in public. When you run out of 50, 100 and 200 peso notes just slide 1K over to the little money pocket when noone is looking.

Buy a cheap Orange or Claro cellular (no camera, no 3G, <$20US) and a 200 peso card and put your US phone in the safe on top of your passport and wallet.

Pay by the drink-in pesos-every time....for everything.

Look people in the eye when you tell them "no, gracias". Not in a menacing way, just so they know you mean it.

If you meet a Chica who interests you, find a way to speak with her privately. Not for nothing, if you buy her a refreshing beverage while her friends are around you will soon be buying drinks for half the town. The Chicas you'll be meeting generally don't see the rudeness of passing the beer that you bought for them among their friends or even asking that you buy them drinks as well. Unless you're a really lonely guy with way too much money, don't do it.

Oh yeah. Unless you're actually at the beach wear big boy pants all the time, especially at night. They've got little ankle biting bugs.

You won't need much intel on hang out spots. Point/shoot.

Welcome to the kinder, gentler DR1 and have yourself a ball in the Country. I'm betting you'll make your second trip before your phone card minutes expire.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
hey bevo just leave your every thing in the safe bring out 2 thousand pasos buy a cheap phone for calling 300 pasos and you would be good.no one tryed me yet even when i go to the darkest roads but every thing is safer than being in new york so just be your self

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
To sum it all up... you harvest what you sow...

I have seen guys at Playero's pay a packet of chewing gum, whipping out a couple of thousand dollars. I have seen missionaries in Jarabacoa (the money they had to survive a year) doing the same thing buying groceries (they probably had the excuse they were told not to leave their money in their rooms...), and then they act surprised they are robbed or pickpocketed in a country where the average salary is around 200$????

People, this country is safe if you use common sense... take the money you need for your groceries, or night out, and no more... Do not flash your money... it will not win you respect, on the contrary...

I will always remember the comments I heard on Sosua beach from the vendors there about German tourists (I am not saying all of you are like that !!!). They were laughed at!!! Because they flashed their marks (yep, before the euro), never negotiated prices and were ripped off at every opportunity. Sure, the locals were nice to them, but they did not respect them and took them for everything they could...

Bevo34`

Aug 20, 2011
Great Post with detailed advise. Especially like the part about bringing the chicas to the side to talk to avoid buying her friends drinks lol.