Deep Sea Fishing Trip - Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pauljos241

Dec 25, 2011
I'm going on vacation to Puerto Plata Jan 1st - 8th and would love to go Deep Sea Fishing while I'm there! Does anybody have any recommendations? Have you been on a charter with a good operator that you can vouch for? I'd like to go out on a good sized boat, not a rinky dinky thing that will bounce all over the place! Aside from that im not too fussy ;). An English speaking guide with high quality equipment would be nice though! We're only two people and can't afford to charter the entire boat for half day but were willing to pay $80-$100 a person for the right boat. Thx in advance for the responses! Any insight is much appreciated!

Paul

champ

Dec 2, 2006
there are charter boats working out of ocean world in cofresi,where are you located

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Check out NJOY TOURS DOMINICAN REPUBLIC HOME PAGE

I have taken this tour myself and I am very pleased with it, highly skilled captain, very good host (English speaking), all by all a very nice day on the water with some nice catches.

You can charter the boat privately also and we are thinking of doing that with some friends to have a whole day fishing on the sea.

Acira

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Some people we know just went fishing off the north coast. The waves were huge and they were very sea sick, so keep that in mind if you are prone to motion sickness.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Some people we know just went fishing off the north coast. The waves were huge and they were very sea sick, so keep that in mind if you are prone to motion sickness.

This time of year waves off the North Coast are often good size due to the strong weather fronts that are moving across the US.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I'd recommend contacting MikeFisher. He will know who to contact in your area and what to expect. If I'm not mistaken, he runs a fishing charter.

And now that I think about it, that sounds like a great idea for this week. I think I'll contact him myself.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
The web site says they are in Rio San Juan on the North Coast (not Punta Cana).

It looks like your right but I was on a fishing boat with the exact same name and color scheme at Punta Cana Beach Resort so maybe it's the same company that does business in both areas but I will say the boat they had at Punta Cana Beach Resort kicked ass it was a catamaran style boat around 36ft according to the captain, supercool the fishing was ok caught a few Doradas

O.S.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007

Did a charter out of Sosua Bay (basically the same as POP) in January 2010. Lots of weather, lots of 5-7 foot waves. The crew tried their best, but we all got very, very ill, even with Dramamine.

Pauljos241

Dec 25, 2011
I'd recommend contacting MikeFisher. He will know who to contact in your area and what to expect. If I'm not mistaken, he runs a fishing charter.

And now that I think about it, that sounds like a great idea for this week. I think I'll contact him myself.

Who is Mike Fisher and how do I get a hold of him?

Pauljos241

Dec 25, 2011
Has anybody heard of A guy named Barry who operates Gone Fishing North Coast POP? He operates a 35ft sport fishing Catamaran. I have been in touch with him with a few emails back and forth. He seems very nice and I'm considering booking with him. Any references on this guy? Anybody heard of him?
Thanks,
Paul

Pauljos241

Dec 25, 2011
I'm ready to pack up tomorrow and head back to Toronto where I live, but I wanted to take the opportunity to give everyone a little feedback on my experiences with Barry Terry of Gone Fishing North Coast.
I arrived on the beach at the agreed time and met Barry packing up the 35ft sportfishing catamarran for the days fishing trip. The two staff aboard we're very courteous, friendly, helpful and English speaking, fluently! Immediately upon coming aboard we were spoken to about safety on the boat which i really liked and the plan for the morning ahead. As we headed out to sea, the staff began wiping down the wet seating surfaces from the rain and genuinely tried to make us feel comfortable! We began catching fish about an hour in and i could tell right away the crew were obviously very knowledgeable and experienced by the way they handled everything. It was an excellent experience all around from the minute we departed to the return to the beach in front of our hotel. I would highly recommend Barry and his crew of Gone Fishing to anybody looking for a 1/2 day or full day fishing trip in POP.

Paul J

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I'm ready to pack up tomorrow and head back to Toronto where I live, but I wanted to take the opportunity to give everyone a little feedback on my experiences with Barry Terry of Gone Fishing North Coast.
I arrived on the beach at the agreed time and met Barry packing up the 35ft sportfishing catamarran for the days fishing trip. The two staff aboard we're very courteous, friendly, helpful and English speaking, fluently! Immediately upon coming aboard we were spoken to about safety on the boat which i really liked and the plan for the morning ahead. As we headed out to sea, the staff began wiping down the wet seating surfaces from the rain and genuinely tried to make us feel comfortable! We began catching fish about an hour in and i could tell right away the crew were obviously very knowledgeable and experienced by the way they handled everything. It was an excellent experience all around from the minute we departed to the return to the beach in front of our hotel. I would highly recommend Barry and his crew of Gone Fishing to anybody looking for a 1/2 day or full day fishing trip in POP.

Paul J

Great to hear as the fishing in the Dominican Republic Is World Class in a subtle way because the seas are too rough for the high rollers !

Let's keep it this way so we can continue to enjoy the Fresh Fish Tacos at Gorditos in Cabarete !

Pauljos241

Dec 25, 2011
Fresh fish taco's at Gorditos in Cabarete? Damn! I wish I had known about this sooner. I'm leaving today :(

charlie&ziggy

Mar 1, 2009
How can I get a hold of Berry Terry of Gone Fishing, I am heading down there for a month and would love to try deep sea fishing. I have always wanted to and when I did look I could not find any avaliable charters. Any help in this would be great. Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.