Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New migration law

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New migration law

Does anyone know the implications of the new migration law coming in effect as per 1st of January? Heard things about having to apply for a temporary residence for 5 times to be able to apply forth permanent one and it seems one has to deposit a guarantee as well. Would everything change in migration right from next week on? I'm in the middle of the process to get my permanent residence. Trying to deposit all the papers before Friday, but I might not make it and have to deposit next week. Would this mean everything changes for my application?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Reglamento Ley de Migración, Número: 631-11

This is what it says, article 48. usually your lawyer handling residency can provide that.

l) Una póliza de garantía, contratada con una compañía de seguros debidamente autorizada por la D.G.M. para cubrir sus gastos de salud y repatriación cuando proceda;

m) Declaración jurada sobre la solvencia del garante, firmada por éste, dos testigos, acompañada de las pruebas (carta de banco, patente de negocios, certificación de títulos, etc.), mediante la cual se responsabilice a los gastos de manutención y repatriación, respecto a las condiciones morales y económicas del Extranjero, debidamente legalizada en la Procuraduría General de la República;

Only the literal (L) seems to be new, but you can get that from an insurance company in the DR (health insurance + repatriation). All other requirements in the new Rule seem to be the same as the ones listed on DGM website DGM - Servicios - Extranjeria - Residencias Provisionales (Adultos)
    Last edited by rubio_higuey; 12-27-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

ARTÍCULO 50- El Extranjero peticionario de la Residencia Permanente que interponga la solicitud ante la D.G.M. debe estar provisto de su última residencia. La solicitud debe ser interpuesta cuarenta y cinco (45) días antes de haber cumplido cinco (5) años de su residencia Temporal, renovada cada año. Al momento en que la D.G.M. admita al extranjero como Residente Permanente le otorga un carné de Residencia Permanente válido por un (1) año. Al término de este período se le otorgará un carné válido por cuatro (4) años, renovable por períodos similares, según lo previsto en el artículo 75 de la Ley.

So yes you will ahve to renew temporary residence 4 times (1 granted + 4 renewals) in order to be able to apply for permanent residency. You have to renew yearly, one month before expiration, only the police record, photos, cedula and temp.residency plastic required for renewal (+ fees).

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    Trying to deposit all the papers before Friday, but I might not make it and have to deposit next week. Would this mean everything changes for my application?
    The Rule was signed by Pres on October 2011, there is no indication whether it started to be effective the same day or on January 1, 2012. But if you did not apply for permanent residency BEFORE the law, you may need to go through the new procedure.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rubio_higuey. Unfortunately they didn't tell me this in Migration 1st of December when I came to do my medical test and paid for it. It seems I will have to apply for the renewal of the temporary residence and did the medical test in vain.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. i had a friend who told me about it not so long ago. IMHO having permenent residency in just a span of two years was pretty fast, i guess that's why they revised the law. Anyone knows if the passport law has changed? Currently it takes just 3 years to get a RD passport. I might just as well stop procrastinating drop my lil' ego and go for the nationality

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine was already under process. Hope they will not screw this time.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

just went to Migration. The people at the information desk say nothing changed and will change (this is not true). Then I talked to a laywer who offers public notary services from the parking lot there and she said I need to deposit before the end of the year. I might be able to do that, while on thursday I will supposedly receive my certificate of good conduct, so I can deposit on friday....talking about Just In Time. However, I wouldnt be surprised that either on friday or when I am due to receive the result I will hear I will only get a new temporary license. In that case I might apply for nationality, which seems to be easy when you are married to a dominican, the only issue is that the dutch government might ask me to submit the dutch nationality. Allthough being married to a dominican might also be a reason for them to allow me to have two nationalities. Sometimes I think it's easier to just be here as a tourist and pay the fine each time I leave the country

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    just went to Migration. The people at the information desk say nothing changed and will change (this is not true). Then I talked to a laywer who offers public notary services from the parking lot there and she said I need to deposit before the end of the year. I might be able to do that, while on thursday I will supposedly receive my certificate of good conduct, so I can deposit on friday....talking about Just In Time. However, I wouldnt be surprised that either on friday or when I am due to receive the result I will hear I will only get a new temporary license. In that case I might apply for nationality, which seems to be easy when you are married to a dominican, the only issue is that the dutch government might ask me to submit the dutch nationality. Allthough being married to a dominican might also be a reason for them to allow me to have two nationalities. Sometimes I think it's easier to just be here as a tourist and pay the fine each time I leave the country
    Don't sweat it much. There's no distinctive difference between what you can/can't do with a temporary or permenant residence. One is temporary and the other permenant,, that's just it

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

you are right about that, but if I can avoid to have to take an insurance to cover for health and repatriation costs I ll do my best to deposit this year...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast