Solo trip to Las Terrenas

macaw650

Dec 27, 2011
Hello! I am going to be going to Las Terrenas on my own in 2 weeks and I am really looking forward to it. I will be staying at Villas Eva Luna. I want to explore the beaches and Las Terrenas. I plan on renting a quad (ATV) while I am there and taking a tour to Playa Froncon/Rincon/Madama as well as whale watching.

My question is this:

How safe is it for me to be out during the day - snorkeling or exploring on the quad the various beaches (Bonita, Conson, etc) by myself? I am a 38 female and was reading there were robberies in the past - is there anything I should be concerned about? Will I be able to get on the quad and explore by myself?

Will I be able to snorkel and leave my old banged up camera on the beach along with a beach bag (no money in it)?

Can I go out to dinner in the evening by myself and walk back to Eva Luna or take the quad - will I be safe on my own?

I have traveled all over the world including third world countries like India so have some experience and am street smart but thought I would ask...

Any input would be appreciated!!!!

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
The area which you are staying is very safe, as is the ride into LT, even at night. Playa bonita is very safe as well and only 15 mins or so by quad. The trip to coson used to be much nicer by quad but now there is a new road, just be very careful and look out for other drivers. The new road is gorgeous and fortunately for you not well traveled as there is a toll near the airport that many if not most locals cannot afford. There are a couple of exits that will take you to the beach at coson and since it is undeveloped for the most part you will have the beach to yourself. Therein lies the main problem for you, the most isolated and lonely beaches are not always the safest. I must say we (always at least the wife and I, sometimes more) have never had a problem on any beach in Samana and never felt any danger. But I would say a single female would be vunerable if anyone looking for mischief were around. The ride to Limon, playa moron or even the entrances to the waterfall at Limon would certainly be doable, again with due caution on the highways, but to go to Samana town or farther may be a stretch on a quad. There are guaguas that can take you to these parts of the peninsula and the ones to las galeras will take you right to the main beach where the water taxis to rincon and fronton depart. You may consider taking one and waiting for another group or couple to share the cost of the boat and also for safety purposes. You can also inquire with some of the excursion companies in LT to tag along on some of their quad trips and this would save you from getting lost and probably not cost too much since you will already have the quad. then if you get to a spot where you feel comfortable returning to LT you could stay and be on your own schedule. Hope you have a wonderful time, LT is awesome! Ben

donP

Dec 14, 2008
I hope it is not you...

... I will be staying at Villas Eva Luna. (...)
I have traveled all over the world including third world countries like India so have some experience and am street smart but ....

"PROCEDENTE DESDE LAS TERRENAS:
P.N., investiga robo de dinero en residencia.
Siendo las 10:00 horas de la fecha 11-01-2012, se presentaron a esa Sub-direcci?n Adjunta de Investigaciones Criminales, P.N., Las Terrenas, la nombrada (deleted) , Americana, de (deleted) a?os de edad, hospedada en el residencial hotel Eva Luna, No. 02, ubicada el sector las ballenas, de ese municipio, quien nos denuncio que eso de las 11:30 horas de la ma?ana del d?a 10-01-2012, personas hasta el momento no identificadas le sustrajeron de un bolsillo de un pantal?n que ella hab?a dejado en el closet, de su habitaci?n la suma de mil (US$ 1,000.00) d?lares y cuatro mil (RD$ 4,000.00) pesos , quienes para cometer el hecho no ejercieron ning?n tipo de violencia. Caso se investiga."

donP

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
I live in LT. I don't think you would have any problems driving a quad and snorkeling from any of beaches in Las Terrenas, Playa Bonita or Coson. Playa Ricon or Fronton are another matter. It is a about 1.5hrs minimum to drive to Playa Ricon by SUV. Playa Fronton is only accessible by boat from Las Galeras. You can arrange a tour out of LT for these and also Whale watching. Transportation is provided. You would be better considering this option. Also for whale watching book a tour with Kim Bedell. She is a scientist and guide who has been studying the whales for over 20 years. You can google her. There is also a new zip line tour. Google zip line samana. It sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck and enjoy Las Terrenas and the Samana Peninsula.

S