Why SD so expensive to live in? worthy?

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
So the million dollars question is: Why the capital of a developing-third world country is such an expensive place to live even in a normal standards? not for a luxury style. I say this because I read in some posts that you need for a couple around 5,000$ to live there in just "very normal" way.

I have travelled around many countries, and I could name other developing countries, which more or less same GDP , like for example Thailand or Vietnam (GDP below DR!!!!) , where life is so cheap for western standards, even in the capitals, Bangkok and Ho Chi Min city. In those capitals earning half of a western salary you live pretty pretty well, and you have anything you want like in any big capital around the planet.

Taking the 5,000$ figure many people say you need to live for two in SD, I can tell you that in the capitals mentioned above, you would live like a king ...

Why this does not happen in SD? Why so expensive to live in a capital where most of its areas are plenty of trash in the streets, where there is so much crime, black outs, chaos, etc, etc, etc .... looks like not worthy ...

A really big mistery ....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have no idea why people desire to live there and drive up the price. But then I feel the same way about New York City. San Diego or San Francisco (both in California) would be a different story. I would not be likely to live in Santo Domingo if I was paid $5,000 a month to do so. I dread visiting the city and the occasional trip necessary because the only place certain paperwork can be renewed is Santo Domingo.

That said, I am certain that many people, including expats, live in SD on a lot less than $5,000 US a month.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
5000 $ for a couple? waouawww. Dont beleive everything you read... :) I know what i am talking about
I am a journalist...

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
I cannot believe that neither ... but there are many posts where people tell huge figures to be able to live in SD in a decent way ...
It is so ridiculous ...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Only some live like that. People tend to take that kind of figure as they want to live here better than they did from where ever they came from. Some of the electricity bills I hear about on here are stupid, careless infact. Infact for the most part I don't believe some of the figures people throw about and claim to be needing to live. Don't stress it, you can live very very much cheaper than that in a nice area, just don't adopt a family to move in with you or you could end up costing yourself idiot money.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Well of course it s always possible to spend $us 5000. Even much more actually... But I think the amount of money one spends is also a matter of blending in the country, especially among natives... I think if you spend 5000 a month, then you haven't understood much of RD. And you'll probably get into trouble

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
maybe

So the million dollars question is: Why the capital of a developing-third world country is such an expensive place to live even in a normal standards? not for a luxury style. I say this because I read in some posts that you need for a couple around 5,000$ to live there in just "very normal" way.

I have travelled around many countries, and I could name other developing countries, which more or less same GDP , like for example Thailand or Vietnam (GDP below DR!!!!) , where life is so cheap for western standards, even in the capitals, Bangkok and Ho Chi Min city. In those capitals earning half of a western salary you live pretty pretty well, and you have anything you want like in any big capital around the planet.

Taking the 5,000$ figure many people say you need to live for two in SD, I can tell you that in the capitals mentioned above, you would live like a king ...

Why this does not happen in SD? Why so expensive to live in a capital where most of its areas are plenty of trash in the streets, where there is so much crime, black outs, chaos, etc, etc, etc .... looks like not worthy ...

A really big mistery ....

I did some rough estimates,but more or less,based on my standards,a family of five should be around usd2100$

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Also a tropical island is the perfect place to grow some of your goods, like vegs and fruits... It saves a lot of money and you dont get low quality food from supermercados
:)

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
with no healthcare

I don't think I included healthcare,private schools....maybe...and I estimated the rent to be round 1000 usd

Apr 13, 2011
I did some rough estimates,but more or less,based on my standards,a family of five should be around usd2100$

I am curious as to what you included in your budget for a family of five. Because I would love to get it down to that.
But for a family of four - Between house rental, food, electricity, gas, water, trash pick up, gas for car, health insurance, car insurance, cable tv, and yes, some ACs, cell phones - but no items that I would consider in excess in comparison to a middle class American family, other than we did a Service Lady because I travel back to the US for work often - and the budget is averaging me around $4000/month - and I do not think I have factored in enough for the Miscellaneous costs of when things need repairs or the holiday costs like we just went through (are going through)... and that is Santo Domingo Este - so not even the most expensive area of SD...
Would love to hear more about how others are doing it in Santo Domingo - any area of the city.

Apr 13, 2011

I am curious as to what you included in your budget for a family of five. Because I would love to get it down to that.
But for a family of four - Between house rental, food, electricity, gas, water, trash pick up, gas for car, health insurance, car insurance, cable tv, and yes, some ACs, cell phones - but no items that I would consider in excess in comparison to a middle class American family, other than we did a Service Lady because I travel back to the US for work often - and the budget is averaging me around $4000/month - and I do not think I have factored in enough for the Miscellaneous costs of when things need repairs or the holiday costs like we just went through (are going through)... and that is Santo Domingo Este - so not even the most expensive area of SD...
Would love to hear more about how others are doing it in Santo Domingo - any area of the city.

May 12, 2005
Well for that $5000, it would take about $20K in NYC when you consider that $5K includes private schools for kids and housekeeper and or a gardner.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Whats funny and outright so unbelievable its the person with the 5000 dollar a month budget, read again what they spend on food and resturants for 3 months 4,017 USD in a city like Santo Domingo. I still to this day can see how to people can spend this kind of money on food.

Apr 13, 2011
Yes - $5000/month is easily reached if you go out quite often.
And less than $4000 might be possible without a car, but then do not use taxis too often or that will end up more expensive than a car for errands each day. Never mind the PriceSmart food shopping trip would be difficult without a car.
The service lady and the private school are not that expensive - a service lady is a luxury that I never had before and the private school for kids is necessary. We might go out once a month, but that is usually a Pizza night or a Movie night. I would love to be able to afford to go out more.
Would love to know what the $2100 budget look like - I am curious, because I think more than health care and private schools might be missing.
Plus - no one ever seems to budget for all the first time purchase items needed (stove, fridge, inversor, batteries, tank for gas, any furniture, etc...) or any maintenance/repair (because I have found that things that I am used to lasting 3-4 years only last 1-2 years here, for some odd reason, before needing repair or replacement - and that can be frustrating).

May 29, 2006
I think one of the posts mentioned that they were spending $50+ a week just on hair salons. There are ex-pats living reasonably for about 1000/month for more than one person. Start sending kids to English language private school and other "necessities" (such as eating imported high quality beef or going out on a near daily basis, a full-time maid and private security, etc) and the numbers go up.

Many renters rely on housing being covered by a foreign parent company or NGO. This has also been the case for Haiti since the earthquake. I'd bet that for whatever you can live on in the DR in SD for $2000/month would cost double in Haiti in PaP.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I don't think I included healthcare,private schools....maybe...and I estimated the rent to be round 1000 usd
Well that is the key -- what is the rent?

If you are in the 1000 a month range, you are living high end.. SDeste or not....

everything seems to hinge on that

Best to find a rent fixed in pesos, if you can..

because the ones who are posting their rents in dollars are looking for the gringo

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Well that is the key -- what is the rent?

If you are in the 1000 a month range, you are living high end.. SDeste or not....

everything seems to hinge on that

Best to find a rent fixed in pesos, if you can..

because the ones who are posting their rents in dollars are looking for the gringo

agreed.I just learned that a two bedroom,even in Naco,shoulnd't be more than $650 usd

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Most property owners who have a house,or apartment,to rent,are looking for "Gringos" as tenants.
NOT to take advantage of them,but to get their rent every month,and have a tenant who will not destroy their property.
I would want to rent a property with a fixed rent in dollars.
As the peso devalues,"vis a vi" the dollar,you will be paying less.
Lots of landlords advertise,"Solo Extrajero", and will not rent to dominicans.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC