pate palo restaurant

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
will be in SD for 50th US peace corps anniversary in February

trip advisor says this is the best reviewed restaurant
true?
staying at nicolas de ovando

3 other recommendations for the other nights that we are staying in SD???

saving 1 night for a trip to a fritura for my chiccarones de puerco with a cold jumbo, bien fria como vestida de novia

thanks'

dd

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It's not bad. It's a tourist trap IMO. There are better restaurants in Santo Domingo. It all depends on what kind of food, ambience you're looking for. There are several other restaurants right there by Plaza de Espana.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
will be in SD for 50th US peace corps anniversary in February

trip advisor says this is the best reviewed restaurant
true?
staying at nicolas de ovando

3 other recommendations for the other nights that we are staying in SD???

saving 1 night for a trip to a fritura for my chiccarones de puerco with a cold jumbo, bien fria como vestida de novia

thanks'

dd

Pate Palo has good food and the ribs are great. Service OK. Location good. But it is, as suarezn posted, a tourist trap and very expensive. We take our visiting tourist friends when in S.D., but we never go by ourselves.

I'm sure someone here can recommend a good place at a good price. Perhaps telling the number of people would help.

And congrats to the US Peace Corps for the 50 years of service.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hi ddoran - we will probably be at the PC event too so look forward to seeing you.

Our top Zona Colonial restaurant rec is Mes?n de Bari (Dominican) on Calle Hostos.

I always thought Pat'e Palo was overrated, I haven't been to the Plaza Espa?a for some time but always preferred Museo de Jam?n (Spanish).

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
If you don't change your mind on dining at patel palo i can get you into contact w a close friend he's european works at the management level. He can help out with your needs..

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Pate Palo has good food and the ribs are great. Service OK. Location good. But it is, as suarezn posted, a tourist trap and very expensive. We take our visiting tourist friends when in S.D., but we never go by ourselves.

I'm sure someone here can recommend a good place at a good price. Perhaps telling the number of people would help.

And congrats to the US Peace Corps for the 50 years of service.

Ribs are not great anymore. Dont know what happened, if they changed the chef or what? but in my last visit last month, I order their ribs (I had ribs, maybe 8 times before, always excellent). this was the worst ribs I have eaten in years.
The restaurant is great, good atmosphere and ambience, but the list of great restaurants in Santo Domingo is endless.
Fellini, Sophias, Olivo, Porterhouse, David Crockett, Vesubio, Reina de Espana, Don Pepe, Chef Pepper, Peperoni, La Bricciola, Angelo, Caffe Milano, Marocha, Neptunos (boca chica), Deli Swiss (Juan dolio), etc, etc. All of them Excellent

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
Hi ddoran - we will probably be at the PC event too so look forward to seeing you.

Our top Zona Colonial restaurant rec is Mes?n de Bari (Dominican) on Calle Hostos.

I always thought Pat'e Palo was overrated, I haven't been to the Plaza Espa?a for some time but always preferred Museo de Jam?n (Spanish).

I ate at Meson de Bari just before christmas. I liked the feel of the place and the service was good but low key. Try the chicken with the house sauce, not sure the actual name on the menu, very tasty. Very easy to find, just walk about one block north from the the Mercure Hotel on Hostos, on the same side of the street.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The house specialty is a crab dish (cangrejo guisado). My favourite is the lamb? guisado with tostones, and the empanaditas/catib?as de lamb?. They also do them with crab or chicken. By all accounts everything else on the menu is very good indeed.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
My favourite is the lamb? guisado with tostones, and the empanaditas/catib?as de lamb?.

This is exactly what Ive ordered my last few times there!! (plus an extra empanada de Cangrejo) I think over the last few years, the food quality has gone down slightly, and the prices have gone up a bit, but it's still my favorite all-around restaurant in the Colonial Zone.

I think Pate' Palo is about the best "tourist trap" you can find...food, service, ambiance, location are all very good, if not great, and it's not that expensive, especially compared to the Top Ten-type restaurants in SD (Sophia's, Porterhouse, David Crockett's, Vesuvio, Cafe Milano, etc...)

Another recommendation would be Adrian Tropical on the Malecon (near the Hilton Hotel). Slightly upscale Dominican Style food, multi-level restaurant right on the water. Reasonable prices, great for a group.

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
The house specialty is a crab dish (cangrejo guisado). My favourite is the lamb? guisado with tostones, and the empanaditas/catib?as de lamb?. They also do them with crab or chicken. By all accounts everything else on the menu is very good indeed.

We will have to go back next time I am in the city. Thanks for the suggestion.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Pate Palo food is excellent but I found the menu limited and the food is very very expensive for the portions offered IMO. Service was average, but the waiter did not want to bring me back 320 pesos in change until I complained. Then he only brought back part of it which really ****ed me off, then finally he relented.

Two of my more preferred restaurants in the Plaza are Museo del Jamon and Angelo.

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
thanks to all!!!!!!!
hi chirimoya and "pete' and "lucas'
would you want to have dinner with us over that weekend?
the peace corps dinner party is friday and the night before there is an event at us embassy and then we are free
hillbilly will not be attending these events but we will see him on our way to Moncion
will try meson de bari for sure
david

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, thanks: 'Pete' was invited to bring his photos for sale at the Fair. It'll be great to see you both.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Reina de Espa?a, El Asador Argentino, Pat e Palo, you can't miss. Also Casa de Jade...

Enjoy...

HB