Quiet escape from Santiago

rfeg

Jan 1, 2012
We will be on Santiago for a week or so in February (from the US -- our son is there for a semester in school) and will be looking for a quiet 4 days on the water -- I am drawn to the description of Samana (quiet, whales, nature), but am wondering if it is worth the drive -- 3-4 hours in a country I do not know. We have little interest in an all-inclusive or bustling place. Any advice?

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
We will be on Santiago for a week or so in February (from the US -- our son is there for a semester in school) and will be looking for a quiet 4 days on the water -- I am drawn to the description of Samana (quiet, whales, nature), but am wondering if it is worth the drive -- 3-4 hours in a country I do not know. We have little interest in an all-inclusive or bustling place. Any advice?

A friend and I drove separate cars of the same make and model from Sosua to Samana with our girl friends two years ago. The roads were full of pot holes. He had two flats going and I busted my oil pan on the way back.

When we finally arrived we took a road to a very beautiful beach. The road was so rocky I'd thought we'd never get back up and it also crossed a river. I'm adventurous but I would never do that again.

Be prepared if you decide to make the trip. Good luck...

A friend and I drove separate cars of the same make and model from Sosua to Samana with our girl friends two years ago. The roads were full of pot holes. He had two flats going and I busted my oil pan on the way back.

When we finally arrived we took a road to a very beautiful beach. The road was so rocky I'd thought we'd never get back up and it also crossed a river. I'm adventurous but I would never do that again.

The road you mention used to be really bad between Gaspar hernandez and Rio Sanjuan, it has since been repaved. I love Samana especially las Terrenas, worth the trip in my opinion

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Via SFdM and Autopistas

The road you mention used to be really bad between Gaspar hernandez and Rio Sanjuan, it has since been repaved. I love Samana especially las Terrenas, worth the trip in my opinion

Also:
The OP can take the road via SFdM, no need to go north first.

donP

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Also:
The OP can take the road via SFdM, no need to go north first.

donP

Thanks, I will try that road next time. I drove from Mao to Samana in November and went through Sosua to party for 1 night. I thought the drive along the coast was pretty nice and I didn't have any issues but it's always nice to try an alternative route.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Or, you could take one of the buses andsave the hassle. The buses leave almost every hour. Since I'll be in Santiago by then,m you will be able to talk to me for good directions and other information.

The trip is so worth the time and little effort. Villa Sirena is fabulous but pricy. There are other options that are quite nice.

The best whale watching trips are organized in Samana City so you really should think about staying there the night before the expedition.

Again, we can get you more information. Kim Bedell is the lady to see for whale watching and she has a website.

Is your son at PUCMM????

HB

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
I live in Las Terrenas. It is worth the drive. From Santiago go thru San Fransico de Marcoris and follow the highway for about another hr. into Nagua than follow the signs to Samana. If you want to save some time you can take the new section of highway which starts at El Catey Airport and is 27kms into Las Terrenas. The toll is expensive $450 pesos about $12.00 US but it is worth the price for the vistas you will see. If you want more detailed info and any advise on where to stay send me a private message.

S

rfeg

Jan 1, 2012
Thank you for the responces!!

We are still sorting this out, but all your information has been very helpful. Yes, my son will be at PUCMM -- he flew into STI earlier today -- assuming his lost luggage is found, all will be well.

Yes, from looking at the map it seemed like we would go through San Fransico de Marcoris rather than going north and then along the coast, but it is hard to know from looking at the maps what way really makes sense. We are also considering a bus, but it seems as though the big companies (Carib, Metro) do not provide service from Santiago to Samana, and going by way of Santo Domingo seems VERY out of the way. Any bus information would also be great -- if we needed a car (or jeep) for the peninsula, we could probably just get on there for local trips. From the reading I have done, we are thinking Las Galeras, but the whole areas sounds wonderful

We still need to figuring out the timing of all of this -- we want to talk to our son about the best time to visit for his schedule -- but you have all been very helpful.

Preston

Nov 13, 2011
Yes, from looking at the map it seemed like we would go through San Fransico de Marcoris rather than going north and then along the coast, but it is hard to know from looking at the maps what way really makes sense. We are also considering a bus, but it seems as though the big companies (Carib, Metro) do not provide service from Santiago to Samana, and going by way of Santo Domingo seems VERY out of the way. QUOTE]

Rfeg,

On a map, the route from Santiago to Samana via Santo Domingo looks out of the way. But take it from someone who drives from Washington DC to NYC on a regular basis. That new toll road from the capital to Las Terrenas is just a really smooth ride! And yes, the trip is definitely worth it!

Good luck!

Preston

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

The entire road is now near perfect.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Las Terrenas would be an ideal get-away from Santiago--- My rental house here is not available next month, however I highly recommend a wonderful, small hotel: Casas del Mar Neptunia which is owned by a Canadian couple and has a perfect location-
Other than whalewatching, there's not much to do in Samana, and there's no beach!
Susan