What is my best bet from Costambar to Sosua?

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
I know there is a union or "mafia" of taxis that have fixed higher prices from Costambar directly to Sosua, and I have experienced having a taxi surrounded and being told that only "their" taxis could transport me during a previous trip. Would I save some money if I were to have the driver drop me off in nearby Puerto Plata at the Caribe Tours station and take Techni Taxi from there to Sosua or would it end up being a waste of time. Thank you to all in advance!!

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I had that happen to me too. Next time I would go down to the main road and catch a publico or guagua.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
anng3, I would do that, but I will have a few pieces of luggage with me.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Maybe reconsider the amount of luggage you need. If I ever go back there that's what I am going to do.
Just need shorts, bathing suit, shirts and umbrella in case of rain. The water sports center at Tropical
does 1/2 day snorkel trips where they van people to Casa Marina. You might be able to ask them if you could
catch a ride with them.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
I will be in several different areas of the countries prior to that including Santiago so I will have to pack more luggage. If it were up to me I would pack as lightly as possible, but that isn't going to happen on this trip.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
take a cab from costambar to metro or caribe. both metro buses and caribe tours go to sosua (caribe more frequently). when in sosua you can take another cab.
or have a costambar taxi drop you off in front of a hospital where you can get a POP-sosua public car. give them extra 100 pespos and they will take you to whatever destination in sosua (they normally end in one spot, next to playero).

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
I will be in several different areas of the countries prior to that including Santiago so I will have to pack more luggage. If it were up to me I would pack as lightly as possible, but that isn't going to happen on this trip.

Women and their luggage!

One does not go without the other.

And yet they still look for small miracles in travel! Lol

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
How do you know it's not a man carrying all his dress clothes and shoes to hit the clubs?

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
What is the fixxed price for the trip? Seems like alot of logistics to save 20 bucks or so.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Ffritz, are you a Costambar local? Anng, yes a guy here, lol, and will be in DR for a while. Not planning on wearing bathing suits and shorts in Santiago :)

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
take a cab from costambar to metro or caribe. both metro buses and caribe tours go to sosua (caribe more frequently). when in sosua you can take another cab.
or have a costambar taxi drop you off in front of a hospital where you can get a POP-sosua public car. give them extra 100 pespos and they will take you to whatever destination in sosua (they normally end in one spot, next to playero).
This is the correct answer if you have luggage. As a further variant you could, if you so wish, negotiate with the driver of the first empty carrito waiting at the Parada to take you to your destination in Sosua as a dedicated cab for your private use. Would cost you 400 pesos in the daytime.