Hello...from a NOT so new member!!!

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Hello to all! I joined back in April of last year but just realized I never 'formally' introduced myself! Where are my manners! LOL

I have been a long time lurker before that. I have a habit of being a "forum ninja"...meaning I get in, get my info, and get out fairly quickly. I strive for efficiency when doing searches, but the wild stuff you guys say always keeps me coming back lol, not to mention the wealth of information made available by the very experienced members of this forum.

You guys have been a help in many respects, and I wish to reciprocate that. I am an I.T. Consultant and will offer computer advice to all members. I will start a new thread for that, or just pm me.

So hello, and thanks to all!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We need more members like you,to make up for members like me!
W.C.Fields said,"I don't want to be a member of any club that would accept me as a member"!
Welcome
Cris Colon

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Hello to all! I joined back in April of last year but just realized I never 'formally' introduced myself! Where are my manners! LOL

You guys have been a help in many respects, and I wish to reciprocate that. I am an I.T. Consultant and will offer computer advice to all members. I will start a new thread for that, or just pm me.

I think they just started the forum a couple of months ago, so many, including myself, never have formally introduced themselves here.

On your offer of computer advice, you'll get many takers, that probably could be a full time job in itself!

Nice to have you aboard!

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Thanks to all of you. I live stateside, but I do have a residence there and make several trips a year. This past year I made four trips there and I have unfortunately not had the pleasure to see the north coast, or even a beach for that fact.

I plan on going again for spring break and just take it all in like a tourist. Hopefully I can meet some or most of you guys in person at some point.

Chris, gotta tell you I am quite the character. I am a member of many forums so I have learned to 'temper' my comments ;) I am the kind of person that all sorts of funny things happen to, so I have all sorts of war stories lol We should trade stories...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You will certainly have to make a trip to the north coast when you can.

Are you also versed in Linux?

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I can hold my own, but I definitely keep a cheat sheet handy for the commands lol. I have long suggested that old Windows pc's and laptops can be re-purposed to run Ubuntu or Mint for those that are more prone to catching viruses or just want a system 'that just works'.

I can usually figure out any system with a gui and networking capability. I have setup all sorts of equipment for the first time with no issues. If you have a base level knowledge of networking, you are good to go.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ubuntu for sure.

I can hold my own, but I definitely keep a cheat sheet handy for the commands lol. I have long suggested that old Windows pc's and laptops can be re-purposed to run Ubuntu or Mint for those that are more prone to catching viruses or just want a system 'that just works'.

Exactly what I have done. I use Ubuntu Studio.

I can usually figure out any system with a gui and networking capability. I have setup all sorts of equipment for the first time with no issues. If you have a base level knowledge of networking, you are good to go.

I really push a computer to its limits using music applications. The normal PC user would be quite satisfied with a basic Ubuntu setup. And never have to purchase any software from anyone along with the virus free benefits.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Interesting, what do you do with your setup? DJ, create music, etc?

How would that sound like in a commercial..."How would you like an operating system that is FREE, runs fast, never gets viruses, can help you download all the FREE software you need, and best of all can be installed on a FREE pc that someone thought was outdated and would have thrown away anyway? This is what we call the TRIPLE FREE PC! Run UBUNTU!!!" lol

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Was him talking about me???:p

If we bump in a colmado in DR he would be impressed at my Dominican tiguerage...

llego Papa!

JJ

Morenito0211

Dec 18, 2009
Hi Petey, I would like to know a little more about Ubuntu...Never gets viruses??? I have Windows XP, will this be better? how do I get this OS? and how do I transfer all my files (mostly pics and music) from windows XP to Ubuntu?
Sorry for all the questions and your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Hi Petey, I would like to know a little more about Ubuntu...Never gets viruses??? I have Windows XP, will this be better? how do I get this OS? and how do I transfer all my files (mostly pics and music) from windows XP to Ubuntu?
Sorry for all the questions and your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Maybe my first "Help Topic" should be on how to use Google...Had to poke a little fun at ya ;)

UBUNTU Is a Free Linux based operating system that you load onto a pc, just like you would Windows. You can download it directly from their website. I would HIGHLY suggest to anyone contemplating the switch over to run it as a "Live CD" first.

What a Live CD does is just temporarily runs Ubuntu so you can check it out without making any changes to your system. Just reboot your pc without the cd in the drive and your system is back to normal.

Feeling bolder? Want to make the permanent switch over? Make sure to backup ALL your data...you do have a backup anyway right? If not, then use a thumb drive, cd, dvd, external hard drive, etc,... then boot to the disc and select the full installation option. They do have an excellent tutorial on their website, for those inclined to read it :cheeky:

Morenito0211

Dec 18, 2009
Thanks...I tried Google but a lot of technical stuff i didnt understand :D, I will give this a try.

Thanks again