How to get ex-pats interested in NGO work?

Makedocreative

Dec 4, 2011
Hello! I'm working with an organization in Puerta Plata called Project Esperanza (www). We work primarily with lower-socio economic groups to create programming that helps break the cycle of poverty.

So for example, we've got two schools, support groups, and most recently a community art space (12 de julio, #38 puerta plata) where we work with people to make jewelry and craft out of natural and recycled materials.

We've tried to recruit ex-pats in order to utilize their skills in whatever capacity (volunteer? teach us some new crafts? teach english to kids?) but it has been a challenge.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
The psychology of the spirit of "contribution" is a very complex study indeed. I have yet to even begin to figure it out although I have been a passive observer for a long time. We are actively involved in supporting our local community here in Samana and it is very difficult to continue as we would really like to as the demand is high and support is difficult.

We have personally contributed and fund raised for many years and have been very successful with the direct stage highly involved and time consuming aspect of raising cash. People love to help like sheep and once you are out of sight they seem to want to graze somewhere else or brag about supporting some other effort that has huge overhead costs and is disappointing for a grass roots style fundraiser.

We see a lot of people pass through this area as we have both local initiatives, friends in the contribution community, villa rentals and hostels. At the hostel we meet people that actually pay to be lowered into the bowels of poverty with little signs of visible support from the primary organization except more fundraising, we see people that want to distribute to areas here without any real knowledge of who the are helping and hurting, we see people that support cons and thieves and recommend them to others, we see generosity at its finest and worst. There seems to be no logic to why some people are so stupid, some so helpful and some so misguided. I know the people that are genuine and actually helpful provide us with some massive amounts of positive energy that makes it so we continue without and despite the others.

Over all the thing that seems to work the best, unless you have a large amount of momentum, is word of mouth. Avoid the naysayers and do not try to convert them. Concentrate on the good ones and you will eventually be rewarded. Your kindness will be noticed somewhere. Congratulations on your efforts.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
That's probably because so many expats are aware of what lies deep within the true Dominicans' psyche, which is TAKE TAKE TAKE.

Once they've taken everything you can offer, including the shirt off your back, they'll take some more.

As opposed to the poor people of Africa for example. If they are helped by NGOs or charities, at least they have the ability to be grateful and humble. They don't see it, that just because you are a foreigner they have the right to try to extract every last drop of goodness a person has to offer.

That's my opinion based on experiences.

You're better off approaching gap-year kids from North America or Europe with Daddy's credit card who want do feel as if they are doing some good to the world, whilst partying in the Caribbean!

Altruistic holidays!

Hey I could market that!

Last edited:

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
In order to successfully build a helpful activity in the DR (and I imagine most places) it will take time and patience. Gordon's summary of the complexities of charitable work is excellent. You need to find out who you can trust and how to penetrate a community and work in a positive sustainable manner. I hate to say it, but you really need to work within the middle class who better know who to distribute resources to the truly needy and deserving. They know who has needy children and the husband spends all the money on booze and women. They know who has a cousin sending money from Nueva York or Espana. They know who the honest, hardworking members of their communities who have real needs.

Just within my wife's family, one sister in law goes down every July with about 30 church women from Washington Heights to Barahora with a couple of fogones of stuff. They do a lot of health related activities and pray. She even adopted a on his death bed infant some 14 years ago and Willy is doing well. This is about 10 years in development. Another sister in law and her daughter now raise about $40,000 a year mostly from a fundraising dinner in November which has grown to about 250 people. They distribute Xmas canastas to 100's of needy families in the campo. Also paid for ramps and upgraded a bathroom for a family with 2 kids in wheelchairs. This is 9 years in development and keeps on growing. Her son is a phacisist and takes about 30 doctors and nurses to Dajabon twice a year from New Jersey to do their internship requirements. I think they are in the 4th or 5th year and getting better every trip. My one sister in law who still lives in the DR is very active in the local community and in SFM. Much of what they do is done through the church. Dominicans are taking care of Dominicans a heck of a lot more than us gringos are.

As far as you guys in Puerta Plata, have a quality and reputable organization and you will be fine. Word will get out and figure out how to have people volunteer and participate for 1 day, 3 days, 7 days, a month, summer or a year. Some people might even pay to volunteer. Connect into the ecoturism network or networks which already exist in the country. Tim Hall in your area would the perfect start.

Last edited:

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Beeza I feel for you, but its probably time for you to move on for your own good and underused marketing skills.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
We have found that the best way for local distribution is in fact through a middle class local spokesperson and the real work is mostly done through the community groups after that. The biggest hurdle is usually finding the proper middle class person. The community leaders left on their own can often be adversely influenced by the some greedy locals and they need a liaison that has some guidance potential and understanding of the intricacies of the community. Those people are the real gold in the DR. To see how some of the children respond to a hand up and opportunity is the ultimate reward. To see the sense of pride in parents being able to in included in the process is a bonus if one takes the time to assist the elders as well. To see the energy in the ones that choose to donate their time, resources and love is exciting.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Hello! I'm working with an organization in Puerta Plata called Project Esperanza (www). We work primarily with lower-socio economic groups to create programming that helps break the cycle of poverty.

So for example, we've got two schools, support groups, and most recently a community art space (12 de julio, #38 puerta plata) where we work with people to make jewelry and craft out of natural and recycled materials.

We've tried to recruit ex-pats in order to utilize their skills in whatever capacity (volunteer? teach us some new crafts? teach english to kids?) but it has been a challenge.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Simple for me :

Clear structure and some serious management.
Clear goals.
Cristal clear financial structure and publications of the books each year for every body to see. People who donate have every right to see where there donated money is being spend on.
At least a few professionals or one if a small project to guide the volunteers.
A serious selection of volunteers, people, even volunteering, in my eyes should be screened as any other 'paying' job otherwise you could end up with a flock of people who are more interested in the 'benefits' of being a volunteer then being a volunteer.

Acira

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
One of the first evaluations I do is to look for financial statements and disclosure. It is amazing how tricky some seemingly well intended grass root groups can be. I see some volunteers and donors that should know better. They do not bother with this step and could do so much more with their donations, volunteer time and good hearts. I wish every volunteer would take the advice of Acira and check out her "simple for me" and with special attention to the crystal clear financial structure. It should be a no brainer after that. The good causes would receive a lot more support that is currently being misdirected to ones less deserving and less generous.

Makedocreative

Dec 4, 2011
Thank you for all of these suggestions. Our director and I are reviewing this thread for ideas and I will post shortly about some
(if any!) breakthroughs we have.