Looking for job in santo domingo

abretusojos10

Dec 2, 2007
Hey

I am currenly looking for an administrative position, english only if possible.
Secretary or assitant.

I am currently working in a call center in a sales position to people in NYC and PA, I am providing an energy 'savings' program.... I won't get into details.

I have plenty of skills and have learned many sales techniques working in this area. I've had enough and need something where I can learn and earn a decent salary. I am able to gain a good amount here but it requires a lot of hustling.....swindling if you will....

below is some information about myself:

Female/ 24years old/ Double citizenship (USA/DR)
experience in law offices specializing in car accidents and immigration providence, ri
these were about 3 different offices I handled translations of documents and from client to lawyer
also filing of paperwork and filling out legal paperwork
I've got customer service experience in retail settings and call center.
Sales experience in retail as well as cold calling and incoming in call center.
I only have a high school diploma from Providence, RI

I can't do much with theses stats but any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Mar 1, 2009
I say you can find a job in a call center, as a receptionist secretary you not going to make more than 400 dollars a month. If you head east to Punta Cana there is a lot more jobs and money for your skill set. However you may get lucky and find a really nice gig in la capital. Don't give up, once you get there things will happen for you. Tu eres bien Joven go to la universidad and get a Dominican university degree, it's peanuts pricewise! They are teaching SQL, java and all the programming languages for nothing! In the USA you'd have to go into HUGE debt for the same thing, Dale p'lante!

abretusojos10

Dec 2, 2007
I was actual taking a course at centu for web page programming, I didnt really like the course though, It was hard for me to translate everything to English. I know Spanish but my English is way better. You're right with the salary of secretaries and all that but working in a call center is so tiring and the people are either deported/ not educated .. or working for extra money because their parents are loaded...... I am planning on moving back to the states but I just want to get out of this area in the meanwhile for some peace of mind

abretusojos10

Dec 2, 2007
I was considering going back to CENTU though, I just wonder if that diploma will be recognized in the USA...

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Abretu,

The conventional wisdom around here is:

- There are very few "good" (meaning well-paying) jobs available in DR, especially for those without substantial connections

- Most people who come here who are not either independently wealthy or retired live by 1) having a job/business in their home country where they can work remotely, 2) getting hired in their home country for a job based in DR, 3) owning a biz in DR, or 4) having a unique business or skill set in demand in DR. Most do NOT make a solid living working as an ESL teacher.

Please note the last two are the most difficult to pull off, especially at a young age.

My advice: TAKE YOUR TIME. Learn Spanish until you are all but fluent. Learn or develop a useful trade or business (preferably something online, like e-commerce). When you're able to sustain at least 3-4k per month in income, then consider making permanent moves. Until then, a good move might be to enroll in a local university (meaning in your home country), and spend a semester or year down there. You'll pick up credits, get to know people the right way, learn an awful lot, and won't fully commit yourself.

Best of luck,

DRob :glasses:

abretusojos10

Dec 2, 2007
Thanks Drob!

I've been here for 4years trying and trying and I'm all set.

I do hope to open up an internet and copy center either here in the capital or in bani in the future.
but I'm all set with life here I am just trying to be comfortable before I get out so I can get a break from this call center life.

These are the best earning positions in the country though I am aware of that.
If of course you do not have any connections.

A degree isn't much here there are thousands doing what you do the same or better than you so it's tricky getting lucky with a good job. I knew a girl who had her masters and was working in a call center due to the high salary. any career forces you to start at the bottom to then try and hope to move your way up.

My boyfriend for example is working in a very well known advertising company and they're sucking the life out of him and paying him nothing. But we have a son so he can't just quit. He is extremely talented both on canvas and designs on paper and on the computer. he can carve anything and do anything. but yeah love DR but it just hasn't been the place for me.
I did my time here for him so we're planning to leave to the states where he can do some time for me!
then we can retire here if were lucky.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Call/Computer Centers" will take money to set up,and earn little in return.
The more people have computers,calling plans with international priviledges,the less they need "call centers".
Even the poor have the "above".
Go to Miami.The money is better,and the weather not bad either.
Cris Colon

abretusojos10

Dec 2, 2007
Thanks Criss.. I don't know many people in miami. I am thinking Boston. that is where I am originally from. But I am going to look at all the options.