Thanks from a new member

jlbear57

Jan 6, 2012
My wife and I are vacationing in the Dominican Republic in 2 weeks. We never have been to D.R. and, since reading this forum for the past couple of months, we continually change and update our plans. Thanks for all the info and we can't wait to visit.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Whatcha guys gonna do??? Punta Cana or the rest of the country...

Have we really helped? Cool...

Have a good time is all that is important.

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
From those of us fortunate to call the DR "HOME",we welcome you.
No matter where you go in the DR you will have a wonderful time.
Life is different here.Keep an open mind.
"It's ALL GOOD!"
CC

jlbear57

Jan 6, 2012
We just returned from a week on the North Coast and had a ball. We have traveled to most of the islands and the D.R. is one of the most, if not the most beautiful and interesting of all. The diversity of the land and the stunning beaches set with the backdrop of the mountains reminds us more of the south Pacific rather than the Caribbean. We found the Dominicans to be friendly especially if you tried a little Spanish. We can see why you moved here.
As we said in our first post, we found the info on this board very helpful. We didn't take all of your advice however; we rented a car which was an experience. We felt like we were being attacked by mopeds. Got the hang of it quickly and we were able to explore around the north coast. Interestingly, as you warned, we were stopped by armed men dressed partially in police uniforms outside of Sosua. After a couple of round of " no hablo", we were waved thru.
We wouldn't want to drive in a major city.
A couple of shoutouts. Hotel La Catalina in Cabrera; beautiful location, great food and most importantly a great bar with incredible views. Monkey Jungle; a zip line that was a kick, monkeys that were all over you, and most importantly all proceeds went to a dental clinic to help poor Dominicans and Haitians. While we were there, Drs. were performing oral surgery; their fee appeared to be a couple of beers after they finished.
We are already planning to come back next year. Thanks for the info.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
HEY!! Great to hear back from you guys@! Thanks for the good words...Glad you had a good time.

Let us know if you decide to see the "real" DR here in the Cibao Valley!! Who knows, I might be retired for good one of these days...

HB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Good for you.
I always say not to be "afraid" of the driving, just be extra careful and keep your temper.
After a while, it becomes quite amusing - the things you see being done on the roadways.

Glad you enjoyed the No Coast - yes, La Catalina is worth a visit. We go all the time... we live nearby.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
And thanks for posting about the Monkey Jungle.. dental clinic thing which sounds great.. I certainly do not want to do the zip line since stepladders scare me but

Can you see the monkeys without going on the Zip line?

Jan 17, 2009
Mounatinannie,

The monkeys and the zip line are separate attractions. The monkeys are so darn cute and curious! They were all over my husband, quite funny looking into his pants pockets! We had been warned they love wallets. It is quite an experience. Don't miss it!