Dominican Republic presidential candidate targets reporters

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Dominican Republic presidential candidate targets reporters
periodista_png_480x290_crop-,0_upscale_q95.jpg

La periodista Joahnna P?rez mientras es aturrullada por miembros de la escolta de Hip?lito Mej?a.

Santo Domingo.- Channel 16 TV reporter Joahnna P?rez denounced Thursday that the bodyguards of opposition PRD party presidential candidate Hipolito Mej?a “roughed her up” while covering his campaign, and becomes the fourth journalist in just three weeks to complain of rough treatment by the ex President’s security personnel.
“I got close to Mej?a and wanted to ask him a question, but the bodyguards pushed me, but I insisted and then they pushed me so hard that I fell to the ground, and couldn’t get up because of the multitude. I was trampled,” she said, as cameras from other channels caught the melee on tape.
The most recent incident has now become part of a pattern which has marred Mejia’s image since holding office, when his then security detail chief, then active Army general Pedro Julio Goico Guerrero “Pepe Goico” earned a reputation for treating reporters with aggression.
Recent cases
Two more reporters were “manhandled” by Mejia’s security in the Country Club La Vega Real (central) yesterday, according to news source bani.com.do.
Ambiorix Ortega, of TV channels Vegateve, and Pepe de la Rosa, of Platinum, found themselves looking at the barrel of guns wielded by Mej?a bodyguards, and affirmed they were physically mistreated, despite affirming that they are members of the party of the ex President, the PRD.
Just three weeks ago, the TV journalist Gilbert Guzm?n resigned from the SIN news program, in the wake of a controversy over the release of a video in which one of Mej?a’s bodyguards is seen pushing him.
Guzman said he resigned because of comments that he wanted to hide the video, and prevent jeopardizing the former chief executive’s presidential candidacy.
In the National Palace
During Mejia’s term in office, Goico was dubbed the President’s “mad dog” for his aggression against journalists, one incident even led to the firing of a video technician assigned to the National Palace Press Department.
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...blic-presidential-candidate-targets-reporters

<ins style="display: inline-table; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; height: 60px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; position: relative; visibility: visible; width: 468px; "></ins>

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
PERRY COMO HIT RECORD ABOUT YOU IN THE LATE "50s"
To "paraphrase" Perry,it went something like this;
"Find a wheel and it goes round,round,round,as it "Spin Doctors" along with a hap happy sound".
Are you on the PLD payroll,or do you get "something" at Christmas time in your "Canasta"?
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
And then one must consider the source of your "reportage".
The best part was at the end of the "Hatchet Job" reprt.
The advertised website to,"Find A Dominican Wife"

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
PERRY COMO HIT RECORD ABOUT YOU IN THE LATE "50s"
To "paraphrase" Perry,it went something like this;
"Find a wheel and it goes round,round,round,as it "Spin Doctors" along with a hap happy sound".
Are you on the PLD payroll,or do you get "something" at Christmas time in your "Canasta"?
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
And then one must consider the source of your "reportage".
The best part was at the end of the "Hatchet Job" reprt.
The advertised website to,"Find A Dominican Wife"

LOL you really enjoy taking shots at Pichardo, huh?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'm sure that "Nals" is your #1 Fan.
"Birds of a feather",and all that considered.
"Crazies" usually support each other's AGENDA!
I see all your "LIKES",NOT!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Heck! He's not even back in the office and already is roughing the media early on!

What can you expect from this guy once he sits at the helm?????

Wow, I was unaware of your interest in defending freedom of expression and human rights! Such indignation was markedly absent during other instances of these types of things. Maybe you think only the media has such rights, not just regular citizens....or is it only when it can be blamed on the PRD?

Let's recall how people fared against the national police as they have functioned under Leonel's administration:

At best got pushed around and had their yellow umbrellas taken away like these people:

[video=youtube;N1KPOtJLN9k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KPOtJLN9k[/video]

At worst they're dead:

Amnesty: Killings by Dominican police 'alarming' - CNN.com

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Wow, I was unaware of your interest in defending freedom of expression and human rights! Such indignation was markedly absent during other instances of these types of things. Maybe you think only the media has such rights, not just regular citizens....or is it only when it can be blamed on the PRD?

Let's recall how people fared against the national police as they have functioned under Leonel's administration:

At best got pushed around and had their yellow umbrellas taken away like these people:

[video=youtube;N1KPOtJLN9k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KPOtJLN9k[/video]

At worst they're dead:

Amnesty: Killings by Dominican police 'alarming' - CNN.com

Spoken as a true PRD supporter and Pichardo's fan club leader!

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Spoken as a true PRD supporter and Pichardo's fan club leader!

Wrong!

I support Alianza Pa?s. Not that it matters anyway; all of these examples have to do with just following the laws already in place.

The roughing-up of the reporters in itself is a valid concern, past and present, for Hipolito. But the spin you put on it merits a counter-balance to keep things in perspective.

You shouldn't perceive people's responses to your posts/threads as an homage to you, it's just that some people find it hard to 'let it go' lest the less-experienced/informed reader buy into a distorted presentation of reality.

Besides, I think "CC" is a bigger "fan" of yours than I.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Minerva; "A distorted presentation of reality"...is what we get on daily basis from regular media (and some none so regular)

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Bob; The media is Owned by a handful of corporations, MSN or FOX they just follow corporate interest. The rest is "a distorted presentation of reality" (sort of)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Minerva,thanks for "Calling Out","MR,PLDChardo!
When presented with the "FACTS" in the video,he had "No Answer"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Which,I guess,is better than his usual "Agenda Driven" answers.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Don't worry,I "GOT", your analogy!