My trip to DR over the holidays

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
I booked a round trip from JKF to SDQ with JetBlue. First time flying JetBlue; I will definitely go JetBlue again. It was a great flight both ways.

I arrived at SDQ on Dec 23rd and returned to JFK on Dec 30th.
I was not hassled at SDQ either arriving or departing. Awesome!

As usual, I picked a car @ Hertz, a Fiat Tektronix. What a piece of crap!

I stayed at the Marriott hotel, in Maximo Gomez. I needed to redeem a few points; so my stay was free. Although the hotel was clean and people were extremely nice. I wouldn?t stay there again. The King size bed was not that comfortable. The room felt dammed all the time. At night, there were always people on the balcony making noise. Also, the door slamming made it difficult to catch a snooze. I believe the humidity swelled up the doors, forcing patrons to slam them close. Although I had no interest in swimming, I took a look at the pool. How could they call that a pool? 

Although I made sure I was aware of my surroundings, I felt very safe.
I drove around literally everywhere, nice areas and the hood.

Besides, visiting the family in ?Los Jardines?, ?San Geronimo?, ?San Isidro?, around San Vicente the Paul (around the Mega Center) and ?La Vega?, I also ventured out at night to: ?El Maunaloa?, ?El enbajador?, Calle Venezuela Disco strip, where I spent Dec 24th. I also drove around el Malecon and dined at Adrian Tropical. Let?s not forget I got my ?Chimi? and ?Bofe? fix.

Well, I am happy to report that I did not feel as unsafe as I felt three years ago. I relaxed a bit more; therefore I was able to embrace and take in a little of my culture. I believe that the DR1 forum had a little influence on my comfort level also the 17,000 additional police patrolling the country.

I?ll be back soon! Then again, I said the same three years ago. 

NAS

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
dined at Adrian Tropical.
NAS

What did you think about this place? I had a pretty decent meal there. The prices were a little high but its 24-hours and you're right on the water. I just had a burger so I don't know how it is for "real" food.