Express bus - las terrenas-santo domingo

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
I recently took this bus to Santo Domingo with some sort of apprehension since no one really seemed to know much about it. I received all sorts of erroneous information when I was trying to find out about it, so here is the real thing:

The bus is a 38 passenger, airconditioned (no bathroom so make sure you go before you board) that takes off from El Limon at 6:30 a.m. but you have to be there 1/2 hour before.

It gets to Las Terrenas just minutes before 7:00 a.m. and leaves at 7:00 on the nose. The stop is in front of the cemetery. If you have luggage, give it to the guy to put it in the luggage compartment but make sure you get a number to retrieve it when you get off. You don't have to pay before you get on the bus, you just get on it and take a seat. The assistant will collect the money much later after you get under way. The cost is $350.00 Dominican pesos.
The bus stops at the end of the new highway when it gets to Santo Domingo where you can get off and catch a taxi to the airport.

Coming back from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas: Calle Baraona #129. Behind Plaza Lama. If you are not familiar with that part of town, you better have someone take you there, it's like a beehive and there are mini buses all over the place. There is a small sign that says "Samana". It took us a while to find it so you better ask someone.

The bus is seating on the street and ready to go. It leaves at 1:40 p.m. right on the nose. I got there 1/2 hour early and it was already pretty full. Same thing, you don't have to buy a ticket ahead of time, just get on the bus. You can also catch the bus at 2:00 p.m. at the entrance of the new highway to Samana but you better call ahead of time and ask them to reserve you a seat. You can call 809-481-2494 or 829-986-1887.

I found that the driver was a safe driver and both he and the assistant where very conscientious of a couple of children riding alone. They helped them out of the bus and made sure they found the people that were waiting for them.

And yes, the bus does take the new Boulevard del Atlantico!

Juniper

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Thanks for the info Juniper.
How long does it take to the end of the highway, where one can take a Taxi to Airport ?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
Juniper, thanks for the update. The bus also leaves Las Terrenas at 9AM, 2, & 3:30PM for SD. If you are going to Las Americas airport the bus will drop you off where the new highway and the road to airport meet. It is about a $25usd taxi ride from there(max 15 minute)

S

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Steve, the buses you refer to are smaller than the express bus I am refering to. The express bus is a lot more
comfortable and safe. In addition, the smaller buses do not take the Boulevard del Atlantico because it's too expensive.

Juniper

Rickey

Oct 25, 2011
Juniper, Thanks a million for posting this info. We will be flying into SD next month and taking the bus to LT. We've never been to SD or LT before so this info is much appreciated.

Rick

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Rick, make sure you call and reserve a seat. You will have to take a taxi to the bus stop from the airport. Tell them you want to go to the entrance of the highway to Samana.

To Steve, yes, it only leaves at 7:00 a.m. every day.