Express bus from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas and vice-versa

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
I recently took this bus to Santo Domingo with some sort of apprehension since no one really seemed to know much about it. I received all sorts of erroneous information when I was trying to find out about it, so here is the real thing:

The bus is a 38 passenger, airconditioned (no bathroom so make sure you go before you board) that takes off from El Limon at 6:30 a.m. but you have to be there 1/2 hour before.

It gets to Las Terrenas just minutes before 7:00 a.m. and leaves at 7:00 on the nose. The stop is in front of the cemetery. If you have luggage, give it to the guy to put it in the luggage compartment but make sure you get a number to retrieve it when you get off. You don't have to pay before you get on the bus, you just get on it and take a seat. The assistant will collect the money much later after you get under way. The cost is $350.00 Dominican pesos.
The bus stops at the end of the new highway when it gets to Santo Domingo where you can get off and catch a taxi to the airport.

Coming back from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas: Calle Baraona #129. Behind Plaza Lama. If you are not familiar with that part of town, you better have someone take you there, it's like a beehive and there are mini buses all over the place. There is a small sign that says "Samana". It took us a while to find it so you better ask someone.

The bus is seating on the street and ready to go. It leaves at 1:40 p.m. right on the nose. I got there 1/2 hour early and it was already pretty full. Same thing, you don't have to buy a ticket ahead of time, just get on the bus. You can also catch the bus at 2:00 p.m. at the entrance of the new highway to Samana but you better call ahead of time and ask them to reserve you a seat. You can call 809-481-2494 or 829-986-1887.

I found that the driver was a safe driver and both he and the assistant where very conscientious of a couple of children riding alone. They helped them out of the bus and made sure they found the people that were waiting for them.

And yes, the bus does take the new Boulevard del Atlantico!

Juniper

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
good informative post. Might be nice to get this info into a sticky somewhere so it's easy to find for future reference.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Depends on budget - places to stay are from 25 dollars up. Meals in restautrants from 100 pesos: beers on beach from 100 pesos a grande.
For a short stay definitely good to visit 4 main beaches - Coson, Bonita, Punta Poppi, Ballenas. Nightlife has many bars, discos, restaurants etc.
Hire of a bicycle/motorcyle/scooter may be good to expore the countryside. Now many good roads.
Advertisers on this site offer good value on accomodation generally.

Have a good trip!

pi2

deroque49

Mar 15, 2012
Google Maps

Is this the Plaza Lama you are talking about? When you say it is "behind" the Plaza Lama which direction are you talking about, South? Thanks for the info.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
10f46dv.jpg

YounWha

Apr 4, 2012
Hello Juniper-

Great Post- however, when we arrive (2 people) into SDQ (Santo Domingo) it will be around 2:45PM. After we gather our luggage and go through customs I will guess it will be closer to 4:00PM.
How would you suggest getting from the airport to Las Terrenas? (We are actually going to El Portillo up the road).

Thanks much!!

vlokje

May 13, 2004
Las Terrenas--------Santo Domingo
5.00--------7.00 ------- 9.00--------14.00 -----------15.30

Santo Domingo-------Las Terrenas
8.30------9.30---------11.00-----13.45------15.00

Las Terrenas ------Santiago
6.00------8.10---------12.30

Santiago---------Las Terrenas
6.45-----11.30----15.00

Las Terrenas----------Puerto Plata

Puerto Plata-------------Las Terrenas

Las Terrenas----Nagua
7 .00-------14.00

Nagua—Las Terrenas
11.00-------17.00

So now you know to make life easier,
Greetings Vlokje

deroque49

Mar 15, 2012
This is a great option for going from the capital to the Saman? Peninsula. We took this bus while on our trip this past August. The plaza lama seemed like a somewhat sketchy place, so we took a taxi straight from our hotel to the bus and just sat on the bus until it was time to leave, but I'm VERY glad we took the bus instead of spending like $120 on a taxi to Las Terrenas.