Has anyone eaten at Tipico Bonao?

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I have heard that this is a nice restaurant and that reporters and politicians usually stop to eat there whenever they travel from south to north (or vice versa).

Word on the street is that it is pricey to eat there. Has anyone tried this place? Is it worth it?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Yes, that is correct. everyday you can find everyone from politicians, to reporters, to Barrick Gold mine managers, Falcon Bridge managers, big wigs, doctors, lawyers, etc.

It's the nicest restaurant in-between La Vega and Sano Domingo in my opinion, by far. and the restaurant behind it "Monte Carlo" (owned my the same owners) is fantastic as well.

Also, both places have free WIFI, and they've had it longer than anyone in the Cibao Valley as far as i know. I was using the WIFI there back in 2004!!

Oscar is the son's owner who runs both places, plus another Tipico Bonao (it's located on the highway). Oscar a very really cool, nice guy, and just happens to love motorcycles as well.

Make sure you go to the Tipico Bonao that is off of the highway, down the exit ramp to Bonao. it's nicer than the Tipico Bonao that sits directly alongside the highway, and it's where all the politicians, reporters, Mine managers, and big wigs stop and eat.

FRank

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We ate there last time we drove back to SD from Jarabacoa, and had the chivo, it was GREAT. It was also packed, I think every table was taken. Great coffee too - I know that's odd to say in DR, because all the coffee there is good, but I noticed a difference - they grind the beans right there. It was about 4,000 pesos for 5 adults, soup to nuts.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
What about the food and price ;)

**EDIT**

AlterEgo, you posted just before I asked this....thanks

Anything on the menu that stands out (besides chivo)? Sorry I can't get into the Chivo thing. I know... my 'Dominican Card' has been revoked lol

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Belmont, thanks for the link! Those prices seem very reasonable to me. Some of the locals were making that place out to be super duper expensive.

Wonder if the steaks are any good....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
49 years ago I ate there and 45 years ago and 40 years ago and,,,,well, you get the picture....They serve a filete a la criolla that has been a mainstay for all these years...Pretty good IMO, but hey, I am not a gourmand by any means...There food is good, period.

Like the old Duffy's Tavern: Where the elite meet to eat.

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've always liked T?pico Bonao but the last few times we've made that journey we've stopped at Miguelina's instead. On the northbound side, it's a couple of minutes before you get to T?pico Bonao.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
It's a fantastic restaurant. I live in Maimon and we eat there once per month (30 minute drive). Cheers!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Have eaten at Tipico Bonao many times, both places are very good. Miguelina's is also good as Chiri mentioned for pastries etc.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I forgot to mention that Tipico's American Cheesecake is absolutely fantastic! And like someone here mentioned, there coffee con leche is the best i've had on this island. period. i stop and eat there everytime i visit Bonao. But when i lived in Bonao i ate there nearly every single day either by myself or with my father; he was friend's with the owner and the owner's father--who started the place way back when.

FRank