Unlocking cell phones

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Hello all.

I have a quick ?............I have a corporate AT&T phone that is connected to my company's BES server (enterprise server). If I unlock it at one of the main orange shops in the DR will the enterprise settings be wiped out? If so, I assume that when I return to the US I would have to re-set my phone to connect to the enterprise server at my job.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Yes I do. Unlocking your phone does not remove your BES settings. Your email (BES) and 'phone lock' write to completely different sections of the phone's memory...they have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Hack away my friend ;)

On a side note, if you do expect your BES service to still work, you will need a Blackberry plan. Then your BES will work while you are on Orange (although I don't know if you want that lol).

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Fantastic! Yes I will want to receive work email and I will have a local BB plan.

Thanks for your reply.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Now I got a guy that works @ an Orange store saying not to unlock it because you risk losing the enterprise server settings. This sucks! Why did my cousin put this guy on the phone. Now I am totally confused.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Now I got a guy that works @ an Orange store saying not to unlock it because you risk losing the enterprise server settings. This sucks! Why did my cousin put this guy on the phone. Now I am totally confused.

Orange has spotty service in many areas. Claro has great signal but I still carry 2 cell phones in DR (claro and orange)

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
I have used many corporate AT&T phones in DR. It does not affect the server settings.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011

I have unlocked many a phone without it changing a single setting. I have sent many corporate employees overseas with their BB's and suggested they use a local sim and they still received their emails.

On my first trip to the island, I wanted to get internet going on my phone to use Google Maps (it works awesome in DR btw). The guys at the Claro store were clueless as to why internet wasn't working. I went to Orange to find out if they could give me service, went through the same situation and it still didn't work. I went that whole trip without internet and had to ask directions A LOT!

When I got back home, I researched it and found out that the WAP setting on my phone needed to be changed to Claro or Orange for internet to work...a 1 minute fix that I could do myself. The moral of this story? I was not overly impressed with their technical knowledge.

Let's hit the absolute worse case scenario...and your BES activation goes out the window. For your admin it is a few mouse clicks to resend the BES activation...done!

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
I have unlocked many a phone without it changing a single setting. I have sent many corporate employees overseas with their BB's and suggested they use a local sim and they still received their emails.

On my first trip to the island, I wanted to get internet going on my phone to use Google Maps (it works awesome in DR btw). The guys at the Claro store were clueless as to why internet wasn't working. I went to Orange to find out if they could give me service, went through the same situation and it still didn't work. I went that whole trip without internet and had to ask directions A LOT!

When I got back home, I researched it and found out that the WAP setting on my phone needed to be changed to Claro or Orange for internet to work...a 1 minute fix that I could do myself. The moral of this story? I was not overly impressed with their technical knowledge.

Let's hit the absolute worse case scenario...and your BES activation goes out the window. For your admin it is a few mouse clicks to resend the BES activation...done!

Well my friend...you sure do know your $$$$HIT!!!!!!!!!!!! I will def do it now upon my next visit. Worse case scenario like you said is when I get back to NY have them resend me the BES activation.

Thanks again for your input.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
I wanted to report that I didn't have to use the unblocking services of Orange or Claro in the DR. I bought an unlock code on eBay for my phone and it worked flawlessly. I paid only $1...yes ONE DOLLAR. When I got to the DR I bought a claro sim card with internet for the blackberry for a week, put it in my phone and WALLA...magic. And I even had 4G.