Good Night "Simply Red"

Thegreenguy

Dec 12, 2011
It is so sad but one more restaurant closes in Sosua. Simply Red have closed their doors for the last time after struggling to keep going and all the hard work of Phillip. He is off to Santo Domingo to start over and I wish him well and good luck but a lot can be said for location, location. :ermm:

Last edited:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
No... more like NOISE, at least in the beginning and then not very good.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
It is so sad but one more restaurant closes in Sosua. Simply Red have closed their doors for the last time after struggling to keep going and all the hard work of Phillip. He is off to Santo Domingo to start over and I wish him well and good luck but a lot can be said for location, location. :ermm:

Nice guy, I wish him all the best in SD. Sad to say but others will follow. Sosua is over built. Blame it on the greedy politicians. At one time it was very difficult to get a permit to operate. Now it's a free for all.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
I ate there a couple of times....and the food, itself, was good.

I stopped going there, because like many places in Sosua, the food was pretty expensive and the portion size was small.

I shouldn't have to pay 700+ pesos to eat a meal that will leave me feeling full!!!!!!!!

What Sosua really needs is a Chinese restaurant/buffet.............

May 29, 2006
I used to go there when it was La Canoa, almost exclusively a Dominican bar and I was usually the only tourist in there(11 years ago?). It was often busy with crowds of 200-300, sometimes a local band, speakers the size of refrigerators and you could buy bottles of rum to make your own Cuba Libres. Once it was turned into a tourist bar, they lost their original demographic.

God forbid there should be a Dominican bar in Sosua!

Aug 21, 2007
Soon it will be an excellent location for a good restaurant- across the street from both Infiniti Blu and Hispaniola. Bologna is right on the corner and they seem to do well....especially with their delivery and cafe.

Sorry for the owner of Simply Red. We have had several good meals there over the years. I always had trouble knowing if it was open, as it always appeared so dark from the street.

Lindsey

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I used to go there when it was La Canoa, almost exclusively a Dominican bar and I was usually the only tourist in there(11 years ago?). It was often busy with crowds of 200-300, sometimes a local band, speakers the size of refrigerators and you could buy bottles of rum to make your own Cuba Libres. Once it was turned into a tourist bar, they lost their original demographic.

God forbid there should be a Dominican bar in Sosua!
I hope never. Well at least in the area where I live. Couldn't stand the loud music.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Asian restaurant coming up. A Thai place will be opening soon in the Infinti Blue complex, and the food will be cooked by Thais.

Thegreenguy

Dec 12, 2011
As I understand it, Proffeta the store owner after “Mary Rose” apartments is the owner of the property at “Simply Red” and will be opening a Dominican restaurant and bar so same thing only different music and louder no doubt.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
would have done better with more curbside appeal, sort out big pot hole and drainage, put lights outside and paint an inviting colour, take down washing etc put nice plants in, learn how to deal with complaints

apart from that the food was actually good, just needed someone else to manage it

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
I ate there twice in November and December last year. First time by myself as I had wanted to try the restaurant after sampling the apple beignets and waffles at the Sosua Gastronomic Festival. 2nd time with some friends.
I found the food very good, and reasonably priced but unfortunately there were no other customers. Phillip knew the writing was on the wall and was making other plans.
So all the best to Phillip and good luck on whatever you are working on now.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I ate there a couple of times and both times I was disappointed. The portions were small and the food was cold. On one occasion I sent the food out and Phillip just stared at me like I had complained that the food was terrible. The food was actually OK with the exception of the 'nouvelle cuisine' pureed vegetables all over the plate that reminded me of baby food. On the second occasion me and my friend had both ordered steak. There was only one other table occupied and they were waiting for their food when the waitress was taking our order. Five minutes later the waitress returned to our table with the cutlery including steak knives. The food arrived on the other table and to our amazement the waitress came over to our table and removed our steak knives and said that they were here first!!! WTF???? Then our steaks arrived about 40 minutes later, the other table had long finished their food and lo and behold, the steak knives were back!! Never went back after that. My favorite restaurant is La Costera just by Scotia Bank in Sosua. Was there last night and had a fantastic breaded pork steak, (similar to a schnitzel but twice as thick...got a steak knife too...lol), garlic pan fried potatoes, and a small soup for 260 pesos...the portion was big and the food was piping hot..can't beat it.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I totally agree with La Costera but, as usually only lunchtime available to me, just wish it wasn't on a busy and noisy street but guess that's what keeps the prices down whilst the quality of food remains extremely high and plentiful.