Rates for the guagua and publico

Boh

Jan 3, 2002
Hi there,
What are the current guagua and publico rates from Puerto Plata to Sosua and Sosua to Cabarete? Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The present rate from Sosua to POP: RD$45 by publico, RD$40 by guagua. Sosua to Cabarete: RD$25 by publico, RD$20 by guagua.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I think the rate for publico between Sosua and Cabarete goes up to RD$35 at night time.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I just took a publico tonight from Cabarete to Sosua. The guy said it was 40 pesos at night.
I was just happy to get in one because sometimes Sunday nights it's hard to find one.
I also asked him what time they stop. He said they go all night but it could be a 20 minute
wait. I told him Friday night at 11pm in Cabarete we waited almost 30 minute and finally
negotiated a cab for 400 pesos. Would love to know Kens driver for 250.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I take publicos and gua guas to Cabarete almost weekly, daytime 20 pesos for each, no difference. After 6 pm Friday night I paid 25 pesos from Cabarete to Sosua in a publico.

jacgir

May 27, 2008
what should we do or say if ask for overcharge ? For exemple the cobrador ..ask for 75 pesos Puerto -Plata -Cabarete...while normal rate is 50 pesos?. What should we answer to him next time it happen?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
what should we do or say if ask for overcharge ? For exemple the cobrador ..ask for 75 pesos Puerto -Plata -Cabarete...while normal rate is 50 pesos?. What should we answer to him next time it happen?

Your best protection is to know the rate and have the right change or something close to it. If you don't speak Spanish, just smile and shake your head "no". If you do, tell him in a loud voice that you are not a tourist. The other passengers will laugh and that will be the end of it.

edm7583

May 29, 2007

1)Don't ask how much
2)Have the exact change and hand it to the cobrador like you have been doing your whole life
3) If he asks for more (unlikely if number 1 and 2 are followed) just laugh in his face and get out.

Google "Puerto Plata guagua" and you will see a blog entry for a gringo couple charged 200 pesos each for a guagua from Sosua to Cabarete. They did everything wrong. Just pay 50 pesos and get out.

Sometimes I pay as I climb in - in exact change. Like 20 pesos from Sosua to Cabarete, and just stay "a Cabarete" and hand over RD$20 as I climb in. This puts the cobrador on notice that I know how much it really costs and he won't BS me. I have never been charged extortionate amounts on a guagua. I am obviously gringo but speak enough Spanish to get by.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I think the key is to never ask how much. If you don't say a word, and sit there like you do this regularly (not pointing at everything with mouth open !), they assume you know the price.

Just hand over the money and wait for the change with your hand extended. Obviously you should give a maximum of 100 pesos, no more than that. I ALWAYS have smaller coins and notes than that.

If I only have 100 pesos then I give them the money before - so have time to deal with it if any problem with the change (gua gua and publico).

In all the past years they have ever only over-charged me by 5p or 10p maximum (and that rarely happens).

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I now pay when I get out. Few times I've paid earlier some of the drivers try to get more than the going rate.