Black and Latino

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTee12

Apr 4, 2010
Self-Identity is very deep concept. Latinos across the world all look different (skin color, hair color, hair texture, eye color, etc). But in America you have to chose WHITE, BLACK or other. Many latinos are predominately of mixed race stemming from the racial mixing that took place generations ago (Native/Indigenous ancestors, African slaves & Spaniards). There videos below really make you think. How do identify yourself? Or what do people identify you as?

Latino celebrities share their experiences with race.
[video=youtube;tT7_oQzDYMw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tT7_oQzDYMw[/video]

Negro: A Docu-Series about Latino Identity
[video=youtube_share;7lxKIqWXJIs]http://youtu.be/7lxKIqWXJIs[/video]

Enjoy and please share your thoughts and experiences. My wife (whose Dominican) and I Black American had a lot to talk about.

Last edited:

Shee

Jan 2, 2012
Wow, what a difference. Where I come from, curly hair is considered "good hair", especially if you are light-skinned. Course (nappy, not really curly at all...more like fuzzy?) hair is considered "bad hair" but nowadays, a lot of people perm it (chemically straighten it) whether it is naturally straight, nappy, wavy or curly but not just because they have "bad hair", it's just a lot easier to maintain on a daily basis. I have always been told that I have good hair (it's really curly but I don't like my type of curly :p) and how people wish they had it. My hair is very soft so I don't have to perm it. I just blow dry and press it when I'm in the mood. It lasts for 2 weeks, weather permitting. I really enjoyed these 2 videos. Waiting to see the opinion of others.

Mar 1, 2009
It's almost always a black American who brings up these questions and issues. I recognize that I'm a double minority. I understand it and I accept it. Move on, Dr. King's memorial is today, relax, enjoy, pray, have a drink.
Nuff said, peaceTFO.

MrTee12

Apr 4, 2010
It's almost always a black American who brings up these questions and issues. I recognize that I'm a double minority.

What point are you trying to make? Can you clarify. It really doesn't matter who brings it up. It's a topic that brings about great discussion and help people better understand their history, because in "reality" many reject it. This is mentioned in the video. By the way I found this on another Dominican site so I wasn't fishing to bring this up. Just thought I'd share. I could have brought this up countless times when I have been subject to racist comments from people who have a darker skin color than me but I didn't. My point is the spread knowledge, not whine about social/cultural/racial injustice.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thankfully America is not the whole world and most of the world doesn't view race through the American perpective. Having said that each and every race has their own biases and experiences as part of their culture. My wife has mixed hair, as in a little kinky on the front then wavy and curly for the rest. Her immediate family has straight hair for the most part and several of her male cousins used to have Aros in the 80's but prefer short hair now. Colour/race is not an issue for them- they are Dominicans, not Black or Latinos.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I'm every day more confused about my identity as my Dominican Cedula say Blanco... Here in US I'm to check the box that read others...

Went to DMV past week to change my status from legal immigrant to US citizen and they didn't have a check box for Hispanic any more, only white,black & other race.

Now I am other, and don't even know why they ask about that because in the driver license card that box is blank.

Enjoyed the videos in my off day!

JJ

DominiRican

Apr 7, 2004
This topic always peeks my interest. For a father's day gift I took a paternal DNA test via Ancestry.com, so I can show my father (Puerto Rican) his lineage on fibrous, weathered looking paper. It placed my paternal side in the R1b haplo group, which is largely western European. My mother is Dominican, and I plan on doing the same thing for her, so I'm curious to see what it comes up with. I'm sure it will be west African, for the most part, just by going by our features. Racially I usually say I'm mixed, since I think of race as ethnicity and not national or cultural. Sometimes I have to remind an American friend that saying someone is Puerto Rican or Dominican is the same as calling someone American, you can be a white DR/PR or black DR/PR just like in the US. I know in the US they see things more black and white (ha, pun!) and if you have a drop of African in you, then you're black, but I think this mindset should change. Why should someone completely disregard their European, African or other heritage? If that part of their family tree disappeared they would cease to exist.

Last edited:

MrTee12

Apr 4, 2010
This topic always peeks my interest. For a father's day gift I took a paternal DNA test via Ancestry.com, so I can show my father (Puerto Rican) his lineage on fibrous, weathered looking paper. It placed my paternal side in the R1b haplo group, which is largely western European. My mother is Dominican, and I plan on doing the same thing for her, so I'm curious to see what it comes up with. I'm sure it will be west African, for the most part, just by going by our features. Racially I usually say I'm mixed, since I think of race as ethnicity and not national or cultural. Sometimes I have to remind an American friend that saying someone is Puerto Rican or Dominican is the same as calling someone American, you can be a white DR/PR or black DR/PR just like in the US. I know in the US they see things more black and white (ha, pun!) and if you have a drop of African in you, then you're black, but I think this mindset should change. Why should someone completely disregard their European, African or other heritage? If that part of their family tree disappeared they would cease to exist.

EXACTLY! People need to research their ancestry and embrace it. Don't let anyone put you in a "box" with their standards.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
What point are you trying to make? Can you clarify. It really doesn't matter who brings it up. It's a topic that brings about great discussion and help people better understand their history, because in "reality" many reject it. This is mentioned in the video. By the way I found this on another Dominican site so I wasn't fishing to bring this up. Just thought I'd share. I could have brought this up countless times when I have been subject to racist comments from people who have a darker skin color than me but I didn't. My point is the spread knowledge, not whine about social/cultural/racial injustice.
Wow MrTee12 this topic has been coming up in my entire life. My mom is African American and my father is from Puerto Rican. I never saw this on youtube before thanks. I will show this to my daughter who is part Mexican, and when people ask her" are you bi-racial or something" she will have a better understanding. I never want her to say" I'm 50% Mexican 25% Puerto Rican and 25% African American" how stupid does this sound. She will say I'm black or "Soy CHOCOLATE" because that is what she says now SOY CHOCOLATE ALL DAY SON!!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Wow MrTee12 this topic has been coming up in my entire life. My mom is African American and my father is from Puerto Rican. I never saw this on youtube before thanks. I will show this to my daughter who is part Mexican, and when people ask her" are you bi-racial or something" she will have a better understanding. I never want her to say" I'm 50% Mexican 25% Puerto Rican and 25% African American" how stupid does this sound. She will say I'm black or "Soy CHOCOLATE" because that is what she says now SOY CHOCOLATE ALL DAY SON!!!

Sound like you are putting her in a box because, in reality, she is more than half " not black" . She is 100% human.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Sound like you are putting her in a box because, in reality, she is more than half " not black" . She is 100% human.
Once again BOB! Do you have a 8yr old child part Mexican living in a city like Chicago? Do you have any idea if the Mexican community accepts my little girl or not? I can answer that for you, NO you don't. So why would I listen to a person with ZERO ties to Boricuas, Mexicanos,or African American aka Brothers and Sisters. Did you know Puerto Ricans and AA accepts my child far more then Mexicans. You say your country is Canada and you have a Dominican wife who has a degree from YALE or something. You know two places DR and Canada. Call me when you have spent more then 20 years in cities like NYC LA or Chicago. Everyone knows if a child is part AA he or she is ALL AA in the eyes of the world NOT just the USA.

Why do you think just because your much older then I am you know more? YOUR country is Canada enough said.
You maybe older,but until you see the world through the eyes of a person of color you have no idea. You can marry a 100 Dominican women and you still won't understand. A saying in the late 80's I think" ITS A BLACK THING YOU WON'T UNDERSTAND"!!!!

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Short version (less than a minute of the speech)

One man's opinion on this matter .....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fus4nBIjV2I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
This reminds of an unpleasant experience I had at the Aeropuerto International del Cibao in 2004. As I was returning to the US with my son, the immigration officer lady took a quick look at both of our passports and at my son and told me that he was not my son.

I was so ****ed at her that after a few words (in which I would not publish here), I basically told her that just because my son has blonde hair and blue eyes does not mean he not my son, and people in your position should get a refresher on reading since his passport has the same name as mine.

I am mixed with a black father and white mother (both from DR) so my son got my mothers traits, but I explained and introduced my son to the black side of our family so that he could understand lineage comes from and be proud of it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Once again BOB! Do you have a 8yr old child part Mexican living in a city like Chicago? Do you have any idea if the Mexican community accepts my little girl or not? I can answer that for you, NO you don't. So why would I listen to a person with ZERO ties to Boricuas, Mexicanos,or African American aka Brothers and Sisters. Did you know Puerto Ricans and AA accepts my child far more then Mexicans. You say your country is Canada and you have a Dominican wife who has a degree from YALE or something. You know two places DR and Canada. Call me when you have spent more then 20 years in cities like NYC LA or Chicago. Everyone knows if a child is part AA he or she is ALL AA in the eyes of the world NOT just the USA.

Why do you think just because your much older then I am you know more? YOUR country is Canada enough said.
You maybe older,but until you see the world through the eyes of a person of color you have no idea. You can marry a 100 Dominican women and you still won't understand. A saying in the late 80's I think" ITS A BLACK THING YOU WON'T UNDERSTAND"!!!!

My wife is not white and my stepson is half Dominican and half Colombian. His friends are from many different cultures. Do you think Canada is just white people? My oldest son's girlfriend is from Trinidad ( very mixed race - East Indian, Black and German) There are thousands of bi-racial and mixed race children in Canada and I've had hundreds of them in my house through the years. Yes I'm thankful I live in Canada rather than Chicago or LA. What does your daughter's mother tell her she is?

MrTee12

Apr 4, 2010
hmmm....I need help embedding a video. it won't work for me.

Just copy and paste it. First copy the link from the original source. Click "reply". There is a "film strip looking button" were the icons are that says "insert video". Finally, Paste the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.