Student moving to SD for a year

chaze

Jan 6, 2012
hi, I've been doing a couple research regarding the cost of living in santo domingo, and I have a couple of questions. First, Im going to college at Florida International University for International Business and I want to go to school abroad for 6months to a year to experience something different & graduate with a dual degree of Unibe & FIU, and I want to attend Unibe for a couple of semesters.

I want to rent out a one bedroom apt. close to Unibe, maybe in the Zona Universitaria. Rent is around 450USD. I plan on living on Financial Aid Standford Loan (In Miami my college is payed for, and I believe that you cant receive Financial aid grants in Unibe, just loans?!?), most of my concern, is that I want to be able to get a job to pay for some of my expenses, so when I do come back to Miami I wont be in so much debt. Now, Im hearing from people that in DR getting a job is not easy even if is minimum wage. I do speak Spanish, and my work experience are retail, sales, customer service. I also have family that live in Santo Domingo, so my grandma can help me out with some food (Im not living with her because Im not going to have a car & she lives in Luperon) & my dad lives in Los Prados, but I would only ask for his help in case of an emergency (I dont have a close relationship with him).

I also have an aunt that can help me get a job, she works for like the 2nd top university in santo domingo & has connections with hotel management, but I want as much possibility as possible and Im not just counting on her references. The jobs Im looking for are hotets, call centers, customer service, any position at a university, teaching english; but Im really open to most jobs that are manageable.

thanks, and any advice whatsoever is really appreciated!!

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
You might want to inquire at some of the bi-lingual schools in the capital if they would allow you to advertise tutoring or put you on their available tutors list that parents use when searching for help for their children.

Depending on your schedule you could also advertise for dog sitting/house sitting here on DR1 especially if you are going to be available around the holidays.

A steady job will be difficult to find especially if you are not sure of your class schedule yet. Good luck with your classes and with the job search.

Oh yea don't be surprised if someone askes you for your reasons for attending school in a third world country. :bunny::D:bunny:

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
lol

You might want to inquire at some of the bi-lingual schools in the capital if they would allow you to advertise tutoring or put you on their available tutors list that parents use when searching for help for their children.

Depending on your schedule you could also advertise for dog sitting/house sitting here on DR1 especially if you are going to be available around the holidays.

A steady job will be difficult to find especially if you are not sure of your class schedule yet. Good luck with your classes and with the job search.

Oh yea don't be surprised if someone askes you for your reasons for attending school in a third world country. :bunny::D:bunny:

I was gonna say the same thing,he should be,I mean they should be asking soon.Kim and jmb

chaze

Jan 6, 2012
hey thanks for some of the replies, for my class schedule hopefully is flexible putting all my classes at night so I can work in the morning or vice versa. I also got recommend dominico-americano for english tutoring.

lol oh & the reason for going to school in a third world country is.... I love traveling, culture, and it looks good on my international/marketing business degree; and Unibe is pretty good university.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
hi, I've been doing a couple research regarding the cost of living in santo domingo, and I have a couple of questions. First, Im going to college at Florida International University for International Business and I want to go to school abroad for 6months to a year to experience something different & graduate with a dual degree of Unibe & FIU, and I want to attend Unibe for a couple of semesters.

I want to rent out a one bedroom apt. close to Unibe, maybe in the Zona Universitaria. Rent is around 450USD. I plan on living on Financial Aid Standford Loan (In Miami my college is payed for, and I believe that you cant receive Financial aid grants in Unibe, just loans?!?), most of my concern, is that I want to be able to get a job to pay for some of my expenses, so when I do come back to Miami I wont be in so much debt. Now, Im hearing from people that in DR getting a job is not easy even if is minimum wage. I do speak Spanish, and my work experience are retail, sales, customer service. I also have family that live in Santo Domingo, so my grandma can help me out with some food (Im not living with her because Im not going to have a car & she lives in Luperon) & my dad lives in Los Prados, but I would only ask for his help in case of an emergency (I dont have a close relationship with him).

I also have an aunt that can help me get a job, she works for like the 2nd top university in santo domingo & has connections with hotel management, but I want as much possibility as possible and Im not just counting on her references. The jobs Im looking for are hotets, call centers, customer service, any position at a university, teaching english; but Im really open to most jobs that are manageable.

thanks, and any advice whatsoever is really appreciated!!

And do you think Unibe is #1?
Not even in the top 3 Dominican Universities.

chaze

Jan 6, 2012
I know unibe is not #1 but im pretty sure its the only credited school to the US in Santo Domingo.

chaze

Jan 6, 2012
hmm I didnt know that, I heard wrong & even when I called Unibe they told me they were the only credited school (business as usuall). Im going to do some further research. Thanks for help!! Oh and I just remember, my aunt teaches hoteleria at pucamaima.

saunders90

Jan 3, 2012
If you really want to work to offset your expenses you could try call centers, but that would pretty much eat up your whole week from 8-6 depending where it is/ your transportation. And thats paying $3 US dollars an hour give or take. Do you know anything about mechanics/boats?