Copa STI to SCL

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Wife is flying this week and a little concerned aabout the stopover in Panama. Has anyone travelled recently?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have about 7 months ago. Panama airport is one of the best airports you will ever go through. They have great duty free shops all over the place, at very good prices. She will not have to go through customs or any security. Just change gates and shop till she drops.

If you need further advice you know how to contact me. By the way I need some Brunello de Montalcino of you have it in stock.

Feb 7, 2007
Yes, latin american airports are better in these terms than most European airports (where you have to go through security again for your connecting flight).

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I had a stopover in PTY in December, no issues whatsoever, probably best airport in the area. Avoid going out to the city if the time is short as it may take an hour to downtown in rush hour. Lots of overpriced duty-free shops. Security was thorough but not overhanded: they found and confiscated no less than 5 lighters from my laptop bag that I didn't even know were there. I didn't have to recheck my bags either, so it was great.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Wife is flying this week and a little concerned aabout the stopover in Panama. Has anyone travelled recently?

We loved Copa, good service, 2 bags free, meal inflight and the airport in Panama is like a shopping mall. Excellent place to connect. Your credit card will love it.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Depends on what you buy, the electronics dominate the shops at seemingly good prices. The brand name clothing was way over priced. The Panamanian Rum was good, $10 for regular.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Are the duty free shops "overpriced" as VJS says or "very good prices" as SKY says?

I was looking at a couple of cameras I was thinking of buying and knew the prices for, and the price wasn't even close to reasonable, - more like 30-40% higher. My overall sense is prices are way higher than what you would get at american duty free shops.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Probably a good idea to make a list of what you want and price compare before travelling. There may be a deal there or may not.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Liquor is good to buy there as if you buy a lot you can ask and get an additional 10 Percent off the already discounted price.

Electronics I would not buy there or anywhere in Latin America or the Caribbean for that matter. But the other stores you need to see for yourself as for prices. But all in all there is plenty to do on your changeover. Excellent airport.

If she is flying Copa Business they have a great facility there. Nice internet, food, liquor, etc.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
We loved Copa, good service, 2 bags free, meal inflight and the airport in Panama is like a shopping mall. Excellent place to connect. Your credit card will love it.
My OL will have to use her own CC. ;)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I have about 7 months ago. Panama airport is one of the best airports you will ever go through. They have great duty free shops all over the place, at very good prices. She will not have to go through customs or any security. Just change gates and shop till she drops.

If you need further advice you know how to contact me. By the way I need some Brunello de Montalcino of you have it in stock.
Thanks for the info. and YES to the wine Q.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have MotoCaribe guests that use Copa regularly from the states, very positive comments from them with no exceptions.

diable410

Sep 14, 2011
Just check your tickets two and from your destination. During my layover in Panama, a family were upset becuase some of their tickets were mysteriously cancelled. On my way back last week from Santo Domingo, my flight was mysteriously cancelled.

Seeing two cases (one personally) lets me know this happens often. Other than that, the airline is excellent!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Just check your tickets two and from your destination. During my layover in Panama, a family were upset becuase some of their tickets were mysteriously cancelled. On my way back last week from Santo Domingo, my flight was mysteriously cancelled.

Seeing two cases (one personally) lets me know this happens often. Other than that, the airline is excellent!
Thanks. Will do. She is travelling alone and in a wheelchair.