SDQ->Santo Domingo->La Romana->Bayahibe

steveray911

Jan 16, 2012
Here's the information I have pieced together from the forum and assistance thereof.

I'm trying to avoid a Taxi as much as possible.

Website with bus schedules

Dominican Republic Buses | dominicanrepublic-guide.info

For SDQ-> Santo Domingo
Walk out towards the exit of the airport and flag down a motoconcho to take you to the main road where you can take a guagua or carito into town.

For Santo Domingo-> La romana
It seems my best bet is to take an Express Bus to La Romana

La Romana-> Bayhibe

Take a guaguita to Bayahibe

My main question is where do I get information on these guagua/guagita(is there a difference?) schedules?

Any advice on the preceding information?

Thank you!

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
from SDQ to the city the motor concho will take you to the place near the service station where a guagua will stop for you ..To go from the capital to Bayahibe via la Romana ,,you take the express bus which is in the first street above Ave mexico off ave Duarte and then the bus will take you to parque central in la Romana where in the street next to the church .all the little buses and guaguas go to Bayahibe ,,The main bus stop in la Romana is a few kilometres before the centre but almost all buses from santo domingo go to the central park infront of the church

demi56

Jun 2, 2007
bayahibewebcam.com
You can also get on a bus that is going from SDQ to Higuey and ask them to stop at the intersection to Bayahibe (by Isla gasolina) and get a moto concho or guagua to Bayahibe from there and skip the transfer in La Romana.
Guagua station in La Romana is beside Jumbo, they run only till sunset, so if you come later you will have to take a taxi.

TheExpert

Sep 13, 2011
www.dreamridelimousines.com.au
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hi steveray911! Your information is helpful indeed. I was wondering if anyone out there has traveled this route and have any idea how much a taxi would cost if we just caught one at the airport. If someone could provide any info, I would greatly appreciate it.

demi56

Jun 2, 2007
bayahibewebcam.com
You can take a taxi from SDQ to Bayahibe, plenty of them waiting at the airport, the price is 110 USD for up to 5 people during the day, at night additional 10% extra. It will take about an hour and half to get to Bayahibe - depending on the traffic of course. But most of the drive is on the highway so it shouldn't be that bad.

yuy104

Apr 30, 2012
Hi Steveray911
Was wondering if you've traveled to DR yet? I will be traveling there in a few weeks, and have been wondering how to go from SDQ to La Romana/Bayahibe (Catalonia La Romana/Gran Dominicus). How did you end up getting to Bayahibe?

Also, the Bus Schedule link you've included doesn't seem to travel to La Romana...did you take the guaguas?
I might end up taking Demi56's suggestion to take guagua directly to Bayahibe...any suggestions? :)

demi56

Jun 2, 2007
bayahibewebcam.com
The bus schedule is only for the north coast. But if you look at the note below the table it says :
"Service from Santo Domingo to La Romana is provided by Express Bus and leaves every hour on the hour from 5:00 a.m to 9:00 p.m. "

But this is not from the airport, this is from the city, the airport is on the east side of Santo Domingo, you would have to take a taxi to go west (opposite way) to the city and from there to take a bus and go back east. It would take you between 30-60 minutes to get to the bus, depending on the time of the day / traffic of course.

yuy104

Apr 30, 2012
The bus schedule is only for the north coast. But if you look at the note below the table it says :
"Service from Santo Domingo to La Romana is provided by Express Bus and leaves every hour on the hour from 5:00 a.m to 9:00 p.m. "

But this is not from the airport, this is from the city, the airport is on the east side of Santo Domingo, you would have to take a taxi to go west (opposite way) to the city and from there to take a bus and go back east. It would take you between 30-60 minutes to get to the bus, depending on the time of the day / traffic of course.

Thanks for the info, demi56! I'm trying to find the easiest + cheapest way to travel from SDQ -> my resort in Bayahibe...so would you suggest taking the bus from SDQ -> Higuey and then taking a guagua to Bayahibe? How long is the bus ride to Higuey? I'm assuming I would need to take a taxi to get to my resort once I get to Bayahibe...

Thanks again!

demi56

Jun 2, 2007
bayahibewebcam.com
If you take the bus from Santo Domingo (again don't forget it's not from the airport!) it will take you by express bus probably 2 hours, if the traffic is not bad. Then the guagua from the intersection takes about 10 minutes. What resorts are you going to? If you are going to Dreams, then you have to take a taxi from the village, if you are going to any other resort around Bayahibe / Dominicus, the guagua will take you directly to the gate - usually 1 minute walk from the reception area, so no need for a taxi.

yuy104

Apr 30, 2012
If you take the bus from Santo Domingo (again don't forget it's not from the airport!) it will take you by express bus probably 2 hours, if the traffic is not bad. Then the guagua from the intersection takes about 10 minutes. What resorts are you going to? If you are going to Dreams, then you have to take a taxi from the village, if you are going to any other resort around Bayahibe / Dominicus, the guagua will take you directly to the gate - usually 1 minute walk from the reception area, so no need for a taxi.

I will be going to Catalonia La Romana (I heard it's also called Catalonia Gran Dominicus)...will also have a big luggage though...hopefully there will be room on the guagua. How long does the bus from SDQ -> Higuey take? Is that the one you said that is NOT from airport? Or that is?

Thanks again!

demi56

Jun 2, 2007
bayahibewebcam.com
The name of the resort is Catalonia Gran Dominicus, people just call it Catalonia La Romana because La Romana is known more then Dominicus, that's all - the actual LA Romana city (you will go through) is about 25 minutes from Bayahibe / Dominicus area. Anyways the guagua will take you to the front of the resort, so you don't need to get a taxi. But make sure you go to the one tat goes to Dominicus not to Bayahibe, some of them go to both villages, it would just take you longer.
There isn't any bus going from the airport, you have to use taxi to get anywhere out of airport, even just to the main road. So as I said you have to take a taxi from the airport to get to Santo Domingo city bus station and from there to take a bus going to Higuey. And that would take about 2 hours - just to the Bayahibe intersection, to Higuey (you don't want to go that far! - would be additional 45 minutes or so).
If you cannot get on a bus to Higuey, take one going to La Romana and from there a taxi or guagua to Bayahibe / Dominicus. But since you will have a big luggage, probably taxi would be your best bet. Cannot imagine to go thought all the hustle changing between taxi / bus/ guagua - that would take you half day to get here, instead of just getting a taxi at the airport and be here in an hour and half.

Let me recap it for you:
taking taxi to the city - minimum 45 minutes - cost minimum 40 USD if not more - never taken it so don't know exactly
bus from Santo Domingo to Bayahibe intersection 2 hours if you don't have to change in La Romana, if you do that will be close to 3 hours - cost around 50 USD
guagua to Dominicus 15 minutes - 2 USD
Total time spent around 4 hours and cost almost 100 USD
Taking taxi - time hour and half and cost 110 - 120 USD
So at the end of the day you might save 10 dollars and spend extra 2 - 2.5 hours on the roads, which you could spend on the beach instead :)
If you need more info you can email me denise@discoverbayahibe.com
Denise

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Bringing this up to ask what has changed in last year and a half. Seems to me that for an old lady (me :) ) it would be best to take a taxi from Dominicus to Santo Domingo right?

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Age is relative Anna. If you don't have a lot of luggage then a taxi to Parque Central in La Romana and then 1 bus to the SD. If going to SDQ then you have to get off near the airport and to a motoconcho or taxi into the airport (a little trick that may work is to get off by Alamo Car rent on the main road and give the shuttle guy a few bucks to take you to SDQ) or just take a taxi all the way.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thank you but not going to the airport. Just checking in case I want to meet with friends at some point.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Then the bus into Santo Domingo is easy from el Parque. Taxi to bus and you're there.