Hello everyone

Bobbie d

Jan 17, 2012
A, A
Hi everyone, I have been doing alot of reading the last couple of days and have found this site both informative and sometimes amusing, well, often amusing actually. In a good way though. I am a 52 yo Cdn who is tired of freezing his ass off every winter, and I live in the warm part of the country. My wife and I went to the caribbean last year for the first time and I fell in love with the weather, I could think of nowhere I would rather live but here is my problem, my wife thinks i'm crazy to think about living in the Dominican. Any ideas on how I can convince her to move there. Our youngest finishes school next year and nothing is holding us here. Sell our house and business and we could be gone. Our income from pensions would be about 3900 US a month after taxes so I think this should be enough to live on. I am open to any suggestions short of divorce.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Welcome to DR1 Bobbie d.
Try breaking your wife in slowly to the idea by spending a few months at a time in the DR first.
Good luck.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Welcome to the Jungle ;)

You stated in your post that you went to "the Caribbean", but did you and your wife actually go to the DR?

I would suggest breaking her in slowly...start with all the 'Tourist Spots' first. See all the natural beauty, beaches, mountains, then do historical locations, maybe if you are lucky you can catch a festival type celebration. Then maybe go to the nicer residential parts of town.

Ahora que lo pienso, si necesita nuestra ayuda con tu mujer, te veo en una mala posici?n compadre!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Not the Dominican Republic

... you went to "the Caribbean", but did you and your wife actually go to the DR?
I do not think so.
He just talked about a place he calls "the Dominican"... :cross-eye
Maybe he means Dominica.

donP

Sohrab

Oct 1, 2010
"Ahora que lo pienso, si necesita nuestra ayuda con tu mujer, te veo en una mala posici?n compadre! "
como correcto!
Bobbie D,
Have you considered living in Florida? With a budget of $3900 per month you can live comfortably in Florida. There are no power outages there, and your wife may like the conveniences of shopping and medical facilities.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
"Ahora que lo pienso, si necesita nuestra ayuda con tu mujer, te veo en una mala posici?n compadre! "
como correcto!
Bobbie D,
Have you considered living in Florida? With a budget of $3900 per month you can live comfortably in Florida. There are no power outages there, and your wife may like the conveniences of shopping and medical facilities.

Florida - if you want to live in beachfront location in much of Florida 3,900 will go nowhere near your expenses. It is over 200 dollars now for modest meal for two with wine in Florida.
$10,000 a month would be better.

DR - Las Terrenas, Punta Cana, Julio Dolio, DR is a far better bet for future years.

There are little power outacges in Punta Cana and Las Terrenas. Hurricane risk is far less than Florida - look at the statistics.

Plus better weather in winter.

pi2.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The monthly budget is fine - DUH!

Solar and wind are your power friends -

You'll get more "bang for your buck" here.

How's your Spanish b/c you may want to venture beyond the tourist zones.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Welcome to the Jungle ;)

You stated in your post that you went to "the Caribbean", but did you and your wife actually go to the DR?

I would suggest breaking her in slowly...start with all the 'Tourist Spots' first. See all the natural beauty, beaches, mountains, then do historical locations, maybe if you are lucky you can catch a festival type celebration. Then maybe go to the nicer residential parts of town.

Ahora que lo pienso, si necesita nuestra ayuda con tu mujer, te veo en una mala posici?n compadre!

Ignore the Grammar police. For some reason some non-Dominicans seem to get peeved when you call the Dominican Republic the Dominican. It doesn't seem to bother Dominicans. I agree break her in slowly. I'm from the Wet Coast myself.

rdelc

Jan 18, 2012
If you need assistance on how to relocate or visit certain places here in the capital (Santo Domingo) I can provide you with the needed assistance.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Florida - if you want to live in beachfront location in much of Florida 3,900 will go nowhere near your expenses. It is over 200 dollars now for modest meal for two with wine in Florida.
$10,000 a month would be better.

DR - Las Terrenas, Punta Cana, Julio Dolio, DR is a far better bet for future years.

There are little power outacges in Punta Cana and Las Terrenas. Hurricane risk is far less than Florida - look at the statistics.

Plus better weather in winter.

pi2.

You forgot to take your medecine today. It's not a question it's a fact.