Nonprofit or Teaching Jobs in Cibao/Santiago Area (Soccer anyone?)

profetica

Aug 24, 2011
I am moving to Santiago de los Caballeros this July/August to teach English at PUCMM. The classes are all at night and I'm looking for a day job to get involved with, either another teaching position or work for a non-profit that has to do with education and or community development.

Another question is about opportunities coaching soccer or getting involved with a non-profit that uses that for adolescent development. That'd be great!

I'd really appreciate any help or suggestions! If anyone knows of places hiring or even names of organizations or people I could reach out to. ?Much?simas gracias!

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I would suggest that you pm Hillbilly with your questions - he is without a doubt the "go to guy" about education in the Cibao area.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I would suggest that you pm Hillbilly with your questions - he is without a doubt the "go to guy" about education in the Cibao area.

And he is a teacher of PUCMM, so they will have things in common... English speakers and coworkers.

JJ

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I am moving to Santiago de los Caballeros this July/August to teach English at PUCMM. The classes are all at night and I'm looking for a day job to get involved with, either another teaching position or work for a non-profit that has to do with education and or community development.

Another question is about opportunities coaching soccer or getting involved with a non-profit that uses that for adolescent development. That'd be great!

I'd really appreciate any help or suggestions! If anyone knows of places hiring or even names of organizations or people I could reach out to. ?Much?simas gracias!

Most if not 99% of non for profits carrying out works in the DR are focused on Haitian communities in the country, most notably in the Bateys, farming and coastal areas of the DR. You can actually bump into any of the many by just parking by the side of the road to one of these enclaves and waiting for those out of the norm faces packed into passenger vans or SUVs.

If for a change you really want to donate some of your time to help poor Dominicans in their own country, by all means all you need to do is to visit a local orphanage or barrio church of your calling to volunteer your experience with them.

About 99% of NGOs and goodwill ambassadors to the DR bypass our own poor Dominican population and head straight into the newcomers from the other side, which are in worst shape than ours, but still if the NGOs and others sought to help them for real why not donate their time and resources where the root of the problem lies? Like in Haiti?

If you're really serious about helping the Dominican poor, by all means there're plenty of ways to do so!

Thanks!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Most if not 99% of non for profits carrying out works in the DR are focused on Haitian communities in the country, most notably in the Bateys, farming and coastal areas of the DR. You can actually bump into any of the many by just parking by the side of the road to one of these enclaves and waiting for those out of the norm faces packed into passenger vans or SUVs.

If for a change you really want to donate some of your time to help poor Dominicans in their own country, by all means all you need to do is to visit a local orphanage or barrio church of your calling to volunteer your experience with them.

About 99% of NGOs and goodwill ambassadors to the DR bypass our own poor Dominican population and head straight into the newcomers from the other side, which are in worst shape than ours, but still if the NGOs and others sought to help them for real why not donate their time and resources where the root of the problem lies? Like in Haiti?

If you're really serious about helping the Dominican poor, by all means there're plenty of ways to do so!

Thanks!
This has got to be the biggest pile of sh!te ever posted on dr1!

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
what a joke! there are plenty of NGOs working in the dominican community.

profetica, we'll be coworkers in the uni along with Hillbilly.

there are some missionary organizations with sports ministries in the area, but i've never heard of any secular ones. you could easily start your own little club.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Maybe I should have chimed in sooner!!

Anyway, there is plenty to do. There is an orphanage for rescued kids--discards really--that a couple of us help out...there are f?tbol groups that can use professional training, even at the university itself!! I can certainly introduce you to the people in the local association...

I get the feeling a lot of us do not realize that "not for profit" does not mean "no money"...I have seen too many of these people living "high on the hog" while doing their "not for profit" work...

I think if something is free, it is not really appreciated and leads to dependance.

Remember if you are going to teach at PUCMM you need one of these new "work" visas unless you are a resident or citizen...

Welcome..

HB

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Check out this thread about NGOs in the DR:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/best-dr/92389-best-non-profit-agency-working-dr.html

Some work in in the Santiago/Cibao area; many of the larger ones do not because they focus their work on the statistically most impoverished geographic areas of the country. Yes, that means the southwest, border areas, and poorest urban barrios. FEW focus exclusively or preferentially on working with Haitians in the DR and Dominicans of Haitian descent.

It sounds like you are really motivated and I wish you the best! Certainly you will find some somewhere meaningful to volunteer, and hopefully you can find a paid position that allows you to contribute. It's good that you have a "night job", as you may have to work on making contacts and volunteering first, depending on your experience and skills set.

PICHARDO, please cite your source about the % of non profits in the DR that focus on this population. "99%"? Really? I see you've already exhausted steps 1 and 2 of your posting plan:

1) blame it on the Haitians 2) it's worse elsewhere

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

Some work in in the Santiago/Cibao area; many of the larger ones do not because they focus their work on the statistically most impoverished geographic areas of the country. Yes, that means the southwest, border areas, and poorest urban barrios. FEW focus exclusively or preferentially on working with Haitians in the DR and Dominicans of Haitian descent.

It sounds like you are really motivated and I wish you the best! Certainly you will find some somewhere meaningful to volunteer, and hopefully you can find a paid position that allows you to contribute. It's good that you have a "night job", as you may have to work on making contacts and volunteering first, depending on your experience and skills set.

PICHARDO, please cite your source about the % of non profits in the DR that focus on this population. "99%"? Really? I see you've already exhausted steps 1 and 2 of your posting plan:

I don't need sources, since I'm Dominican and know my country better than you could ever understand it!

You can do yourself a favor and research all you want for ALL the NGO's and goodwill stuff and programs working in the DR and see where and with whom they work 99% of the time.

That you hold a child born to a Haitian woman and his Haitian father in a DR public Hospital (for free at my taxpayer expense) as a Dominican because the DR has an open border policy to sick and pregnant Haitian women is your calling. NOT ours!

It's people like you with all your well wishing and humanity that have perpetuated this myth of blame from Dominicans to Haitians, when the facts speak otherwise in the streets each Day of week for decades on end.

A Batey is populated by Haitians 99% and their offsprings, as well as all the new comers that barely can speak Spanish.

In the barrios all over the DR, the poor Dominicans are being moved aside by the newcomers that rent a home (if you can call come of them that in the first place) and not less than 3 to 4 generations of their kin move in (if lucky to have that many or else it would be all strangers pooling their wages to pay for the rent).

The only way poor Dominicans see some "aid" is from our own gov and people, since all the NGO's and people like you seem to brand anything alive and living in the DR a "Dominican" and claim this aid is for "Dominicans".

Sh*t is the cr*p that many here come to speak up in public forums as if we Dominicans are deaf/blind/mute...

NO country in the face of the earth has more HUMANITY towards Haitians than the DR does and our people, we have never blamed Haitians for the stuff that WE know is the result of poor action from our own politicians and biz people.

Likewise, how many of you here do hire Haitians or use their services inn the DR on a daily basis, then come here to speak about the evil we Dominicans are for pointing out the truth?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Talk about tilting at windmills! How about helping the OP by suggesting some of the 1% of organisations in Santiago that don't work with Haitians? ;)

In any case the figures are in the public domain. All that is needed is a listing of all NGOs, international and national, working in the country, and their annual reports. These reports contain figures broken down by geographical and thematic sector, and target population group. Then let's see that 99% figure backed up by solid data.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Talk about tilting at windmills! How about helping the OP by suggesting some of the 1% of organisations in Santiago that don't work with Haitians? ;)

In any case the figures are in the public domain. All that is needed is a listing of all NGOs, international and national, working in the country, and their annual reports. These reports contain figures broken down by geographical and thematic sector, and target population group. Then let's see that 99% figure backed up by solid data.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

I just did!
Read my post to the OP and then come again!

POPULATION which they (as many here) identify as Dominicans?

How many posters here with the same old story? Have a GF, unable to get US/UK/CAN/etc... Visa because racist JCE doesn't want to provide BC or Cedula as DR citizen? No way possible to get a DR passport?

How many?

The north coast is littered with expats going out with women they swear on their necks are nothing but Dominicans for all their experience in the country, some even married them to later find out the original truth behind it all...

The DR's government (thanks God for this) does not use any type of racial or nationality identification bracket to account for Haitians in the DR getting assistance from any NGO or Dominican agency (this is by LAW, the same one that keeps ours public hospitals and elementary schools open to the general overcrowding from our other side friends).

But one thing we have is the JCE's own records of population of Cedula age + school enrollment base on their BC issued...
They are done by sectors down to the barrios and such!

Like I said, it's some of you who question the facts as they are! Seek a bit and be surprised!

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
... [irrelevant content to OP, inaccurate and non-supported claims, claiming to know more simply by being Dominican than people that have worked or been involved in that sector, in the DR, for years] ...

And last but not least of the PICHARDO posting plan:

3) look for a way to personally discredit the poster since surely they don't know what they're talking about.

Nailed it. (from post #69 of this thread: http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/120670-why-so-many-expats-clueless-7.html#post1044825)

Only thing missing is some pics of a non-profit giving stuff out to really dark skinned poor people (who MUST be Haitians!).

Why hijack the thread?...it has nothing to do with Haitians. I'm not even going to respond to the false statements in your post because it's not about that topic. And if the work done by non-profits in the DR irks you so much, make a thread proposing that the DR be more like Venezuela and similar governments and not allow them to operate, or argue that no aid should go to that population.

profetica, best of luck, at least this gives you a preview into a contentious issue in the DR.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Open the door of your own home and step out briefly to ANY street in any sizable city in the DR, just holding your hands out count with your finger and see the evidence you can't argue against at all!

This repeats in public schools, the poorest the sector the more the effect.

Visit ANY public hospital in the DR...

Visit ANY down to dirt poor barrio in the major cities...

Only those whom want to avoid the naked truth, care not to see what's there to be confirmed at simple view...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
And last but not least of the PICHARDO posting plan:

3) look for a way to personally discredit the poster since surely they don't know what they're talking about.

Nailed it. (from post #69 of this thread: http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/120670-why-so-many-expats-clueless-7.html#post1044825)

Only thing missing is some pics of a non-profit giving stuff out to really dark skinned poor people (who MUST be Haitians!).

Why hijack the thread?...it has nothing to do with Haitians. I'm not even going to respond to the false statements in your post because it's not about that topic. And if the work done by non-profits in the DR irks you so much, make a thread proposing that the DR be more like Venezuela and similar governments and not allow them to operate, or argue that no aid should go to that population.

profetica, best of luck, at least this gives you a preview into a contentious issue in the DR.

You called it sh*t based ON your super educated brain power and super knowledge of the DR!

Here we go with the the racial connotations always based on skin color and Dominicans! Does not surprises me one bit!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
what a joke! there are plenty of NGOs working in the dominican community.

profetica, we'll be coworkers in the uni along with Hillbilly.

there are some missionary organizations with sports ministries in the area, but i've never heard of any secular ones. you could easily start your own little club.

Yes there are, they are just OUTNUMBERED 99 to 1 when it comes to whom they seek to serve and aid in the DR, no?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

What a joke!