Whales have arrived in the Punta Cana area!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
A reliable source informs me that humpback whales were spotted from a boat yesterday. Guess which direction I'll be looking in for the next few days... :D

Welcome home!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
just wondering why the whales were in Punta Cana since I thought that the NE Family comes from Norway and Quebec to Samana? Well, I guess that PC and Samana are just a tail flip away for them.

If there is an expat here who has NOT gone up to see them-- you are missing one of the great life experiences! Do plan on going this year.

Anyone know what the Cruise ship schedules are? I think it would be very uncomfortable to go out on a day when one of those ships dumps its thousands of folks ...
Guess you could call Kim Bedall at Victoria Marine-- who is really the only one to go with on your first trip since she has lots of scientists aboard who can answer questions.

The DR is the birthplace of ALL the North east Atlantic humpbacks. Even if you have seen whales in the north, if you have not been to Samana, you have not seen the little ones as they learn to dive,

There are really two trips every year which will give you a different view of them.. when they first arrive they are cavorting and mating.. then after the little ones are born, they spend about a month learning to dive

Humpbacks are baleen whales meaning they have a sort of seive arrangement for teeth -- and there is no food for them here. So they migrate and fast for 6 months,

These mammals grow to 52 feet, live about 50 years, and are an ENDAGERED SPECIES

The trip out on the bay - for either a morning or afternoon -- is a lovely day trip from LT.

This--- in my opinion -- is the PREMIER tourist attraction of the DR

I always regret it if I miss seeing them each year

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
For the past several years we've seen dozens of them swim up and down the Punta Cana / Bavaro coast. Not as many as in Samana but there's a group that goes back and forth on a daily basis. I'm definitely planning on going up to Samana to see them this year!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
For the past several years we've seen dozens of them swim up and down the Punta Cana / Bavaro coast. Not as many as in Samana but there's a group that goes back and forth on a daily basis. I'm definitely planning on going up to Samana to see them this year!

I wonder why they are doing that?

Anyone fluent in Humpback who can ask them?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Do any of the restaurants in that area serve whale meat???
It's very good.I ate it all the time when I was in Japan.
Next to "Stewed Cat",Whale is the BEST!
CC

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
People have seen them feeding in this area so I would guess they're finding a good source of food... I'll ask them when I see them :p

If that's the case, they may be the only ones eating Dominican seafood.

I certainly hope they don't get cholera.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
just wondering why the whales were in Punta Cana since I thought that the NE Family comes from Norway and Quebec to Samana? Well, I guess that PC and Samana are just a tail flip away for them.

If there is an expat here who has NOT gone up to see them-- you are missing one of the great life experiences! Do plan on going this year.

Anyone know what the Cruise ship schedules are? I think it would be very uncomfortable to go out on a day when one of those ships dumps its thousands of folks ...
Guess you could call Kim Bedall at Victoria Marine-- who is really the only one to go with on your first trip since she has lots of scientists aboard who can answer questions.

The DR is the birthplace of ALL the North east Atlantic humpbacks. Even if you have seen whales in the north, if you have not been to Samana, you have not seen the little ones as they learn to dive,

There are really two trips every year which will give you a different view of them.. when they first arrive they are cavorting and mating.. then after the little ones are born, they spend about a month learning to dive

Humpbacks are baleen whales meaning they have a sort of seive arrangement for teeth -- and there is no food for them here. So they migrate and fast for 6 months,

These mammals grow to 52 feet, live about 50 years, and are an ENDAGERED SPECIES

The trip out on the bay - for either a morning or afternoon -- is a lovely day trip from LT.

This--- in my opinion -- is the PREMIER tourist attraction of the DR

I always regret it if I miss seeing them each year

When is the typical time window in which the whales are at PC/Samana? I would love to make that trip to see them!

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Jeez Just missed them!!

We just left Bavaro on Monday, sorry to have missed this rare occurance, have always wanted to travel up to Samana bay to see them...must be a site!!

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
These whales do not exhibit the same behaviour as pod whales and they spread out over a wider area.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
These whales do not exhibit the same behaviour as pod whales and they spread out over a wider area.

I thought any group of whales were called a pod

following an old English game, I think.. called an exhaltation of Larks in which children guess what a group of different animals are called.. at least I suspect it is an English game or
List of collective nouns for birds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

maybe just us grammar geeks

which or what are "pod" whales?

a pod of wh

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
The whales here do not hang out in groups so you are probably correct. Some whales like killer whales are more social

The humpbacks are very social... and they sing... and Kim Beddall is now hooked up with Wood's Hole center for Oceanography so they now can track the whales by the big thumb print on their tails.. Every one is different

they have some families now where they can trace the whales back to their grandmothers

of course one never knows who the father is

natch

agw

Feb 14, 2010
We are staying in Bavaro, but are taking a side trip up to Samana for a few days and I have just emailed to book a spot on Kim Beddall's boat. If I get really really lucky, I can see them both in Punta Cana/Bavaro and Bahia de Samana this trip!

Is there any area in particular that they are found more often than another on the east coast? I would go anywhere from Boca de Yuma to Miches to see them... (and yes, we have been to both before on previous trips so I know what I'm saying!) :glasses: