Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whales have arrived in the Punta Cana area!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Whales have arrived in the Punta Cana area!

A reliable source informs me that humpback whales were spotted from a boat yesterday. Guess which direction I'll be looking in for the next few days...

Welcome home!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Please keep us posted. Can't wait to see them again this year.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

just wondering why the whales were in Punta Cana since I thought that the NE Family comes from Norway and Quebec to Samana? Well, I guess that PC and Samana are just a tail flip away for them.

If there is an expat here who has NOT gone up to see them-- you are missing one of the great life experiences! Do plan on going this year.

Anyone know what the Cruise ship schedules are? I think it would be very uncomfortable to go out on a day when one of those ships dumps its thousands of folks ...
    Guess you could call Kim Bedall at Victoria Marine-- who is really the only one to go with on your first trip since she has lots of scientists aboard who can answer questions.

The DR is the birthplace of ALL the North east Atlantic humpbacks. Even if you have seen whales in the north, if you have not been to Samana, you have not seen the little ones as they learn to dive,

There are really two trips every year which will give you a different view of them.. when they first arrive they are cavorting and mating.. then after the little ones are born, they spend about a month learning to dive

Humpbacks are baleen whales meaning they have a sort of seive arrangement for teeth -- and there is no food for them here. So they migrate and fast for 6 months,

These mammals grow to 52 feet, live about 50 years, and are an ENDAGERED SPECIES

The trip out on the bay - for either a morning or afternoon -- is a lovely day trip from LT.

This--- in my opinion -- is the PREMIER tourist attraction of the DR

I always regret it if I miss seeing them each year

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

For the past several years we've seen dozens of them swim up and down the Punta Cana / Bavaro coast. Not as many as in Samana but there's a group that goes back and forth on a daily basis. I'm definitely planning on going up to Samana to see them this year!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KateP View Post
    For the past several years we've seen dozens of them swim up and down the Punta Cana / Bavaro coast. Not as many as in Samana but there's a group that goes back and forth on a daily basis. I'm definitely planning on going up to Samana to see them this year!
    I wonder why they are doing that?

Anyone fluent in Humpback who can ask them?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    I wonder why they are doing that?

Anyone fluent in Humpback who can ask them?
    People have seen them feeding in this area so I would guess they're finding a good source of food... I'll ask them when I see them :P

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool. That's a good boost to PC tourism. I havent seen a whale up close lol

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Do any of the restaurants in that area serve whale meat???
    It's very good.I ate it all the time when I was in Japan.
    Next to "Stewed Cat",Whale is the BEST!
    CC

9. Likes ctrob liked this post
    Dislikes hootie disliked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KateP View Post
    People have seen them feeding in this area so I would guess they're finding a good source of food... I'll ask them when I see them :P
    If that's the case, they may be the only ones eating Dominican seafood.

I certainly hope they don't get cholera.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    just wondering why the whales were in Punta Cana since I thought that the NE Family comes from Norway and Quebec to Samana? Well, I guess that PC and Samana are just a tail flip away for them.

If there is an expat here who has NOT gone up to see them-- you are missing one of the great life experiences! Do plan on going this year.

Anyone know what the Cruise ship schedules are? I think it would be very uncomfortable to go out on a day when one of those ships dumps its thousands of folks ...
    Guess you could call Kim Bedall at Victoria Marine-- who is really the only one to go with on your first trip since she has lots of scientists aboard who can answer questions.

The DR is the birthplace of ALL the North east Atlantic humpbacks. Even if you have seen whales in the north, if you have not been to Samana, you have not seen the little ones as they learn to dive,

There are really two trips every year which will give you a different view of them.. when they first arrive they are cavorting and mating.. then after the little ones are born, they spend about a month learning to dive

Humpbacks are baleen whales meaning they have a sort of seive arrangement for teeth -- and there is no food for them here. So they migrate and fast for 6 months,

These mammals grow to 52 feet, live about 50 years, and are an ENDAGERED SPECIES

The trip out on the bay - for either a morning or afternoon -- is a lovely day trip from LT.

This--- in my opinion -- is the PREMIER tourist attraction of the DR

I always regret it if I miss seeing them each year

When is the typical time window in which the whales are at PC/Samana? I would love to make that trip to see them!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast