Rectificaci?n (3era Circunscripci?n) for JCE (Cedulaci?n)

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
I completed my nacionalization (or so I thought) and was waiting for the "cambios mayores" to be processed that would change my permanent resident cedula to a citizen's one when...

I found out that suddenly (after I already did my swearing in ceremony and confirmed all my info for the new cedula) there's a snag :ermm:

Turns out the oficial who married my husband and I in the 3rd circunscription in 2008 forgot to initial corrections made to my mother's name and my own (you know when they ask you to confirm that everything is ok) on our marriage certificate. Our names all appear perfect in the computer but the verificator says there are multiple "boraduras" y/o "tachaduras" in the handwritten book and because of this they cannot issue my new cedula.

I am in Canada (with my husband) now finishing my university studies. He finished his DR law degree just before coming here, he is a member of the colegio de abogados but had not made a "sello" because he did not start practicing yet...

My questions are:

Do we need a "poder" to send someone to the tercera for us?

a) I was told a lawyer has to write a "rectificaci?n" request?
b) What does that look like?
c) Can my husband write it himself?

a) I was told that, IF the book is still at the tercera then all we have to do is ask the official to initial things?

I know it is no longer the same person... so I imagine that: even though our supporting documents have been submitted in triplicate for the citizenship, were submitted when we got married, and were submitted again to the Junta...

b) Will we have to present documents again?
c) Will photocopies do?

a) IF the document is now at the central (which is more than likely) we have to ask for an "instancia"?
b) What is that exactly?
c) Can we send someone to get the instancia?

I was hopeing to be able to vote this year.... what a mess...

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Sorry to hear about that...sounds like quite a mess. I have heard stories from others in a similar situation (the name part) and they were able to resolve it with a lawyers helping hand.

If your husband is a lawyer, or at least has the right to perform as one, I would tell you to have him go down there and sort this out. If he is not or can not, definitely find a lawyer with some experience in this field.

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
Neither one of us is in a position to leave right now (and not for a few months).

I really would have liked to have this finished + it really would have been nice to be able to vote.

It really bugs me that these documents were verified and all ok up until now (I was sworn in and everything). Now when we are both away there is this "problemita". I know, I know... that's how it goes (lol).

I want to know exactly what I need to do and if there is any way I can resolve this or get it started anyway.

Last edited:

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
This isn't an easy proposition since it usually involves a full-blown inspection of the document in question at the Junta Central Electoral, which is notorious for delays. You should contact a lawyer with experience in these matters.

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
:/

It's too bad. We will have to take of it in person then when we get home I guess.

Thank you for your reply.

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
This isn't an easy proposition since it usually involves a full-blown inspection of the document in question at the Junta Central Electoral, which is notorious for delays. You should contact a lawyer with experience in these matters.

My husband and a friend are working on this again (in person now) and apparently there are no actual errors in the documents (or maybe there had been in only one of the books but everything is fine?)... so now it seems that I was marked as "inabilitada" in the system by error and this was suppose to be fixed in 10 days but that was a month ago...

I will post a resolution once we get through it.

Tig