Legal translators in higuey

Wildly Organic

Aug 6, 2009
Hi, my daughter and her husband just paid a guy to legally translate important documents from spanish to english.From what I am told guys in suits with breifcases sit on the steps outside the courthouse in Higuey and give out numbers of translators who take the document and copy it for you and stamp it.It is starting to sound like a SCAM and will not be valid.I contacted a legitimate LAW office in Bavaro and the lady spoke english and she gave me a number of a translator.I did not share with her the situation just described.Everything is just so difficult.They are not doing this blindly, (my daughter and hubby)it just seems like everywhere you turn one has to be suspicious.She is now thinking another "what if" scenario and I am working hard at this end to help in any way I can.I love this site as it has real people with real issues and concerns and great things to share about the DR. The guy has translated a few hundred dollars worth of papers already but they are USELESS if they are not actually legal. After two happy years in the DR it is time for them to come here.We want to do everything right but if mistakes are made and people can assist in correction then we will be very grateful.ANy info on translators will be most appreciated. gracias

Audrey:paranoid:

It is starting to sound like a SCAM and will not be valid.IAudrey:paranoid:

Sounds like a scam it is a scam, how would you say your daugther has just been **cked, and got no feeling from it.

Learn from their mistakes, many many schemes around that just bilk people from their money.

6a00d83455b3db69e20133f1ec49b0970b-800wi

Runs Rampant in the DR.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
It depends on who requires the translation. If the documents are being prepared for some government office, such as immigration, they have a list of approved translators who provide the service. This is a double edged sword because in some cases the government is steering business to its favorites who may jack up the cost but can be of comfort because they are approved. If you opt for a street referred translator you may get a translation not worth the paper its recorded on because the translator is not on the gov't guest list.

You have wisely contacted a law office in Bavaro and should have no problem with translated documents as most likely they have treaded this path before. But be aware, whenever someone including lawyers act as third parties to obtain services for you expect the cost of the service to be inflated, the lawyers want to get their cut of the pie.

Regards,

PJT