Tutoring in the DR

95civhb

Jan 25, 2012
Hi all,

I am looking to relocate at some point this year to the DR, and I'm wondering about the private tutoring market. What are the extremes (price wise) in the Santo Domingo area?

I am currently teaching at an international school in Asia, but the research/reading I've done about the private schools here has not been flattering, either due to the administration, the pay, or both.

So, if you can shed some light on the tutoring market, that would be great, OR, if you have a suggestion on a quality institution (k-12 school or university) where a native English speaker (very little Spanish at this point) could gain employment (I have a Bachelor of Education and a Bachelor of Business), that would be great!

Thanks!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My two daughters,8 and 10,have a tutor 1 hour a day,5 days a week.She teaches in a public school near our house ..I pay her $50 US dollars a month.She will be your competition here!
"Google" for a company that recruits teachers for international positions.
Cris Colon
CC

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
the freelance teaching thing is tricky

i have been offered wowowowo as much as300 pesos an hour ... which is about what they pay for a manicure and pedicure in my neighborhood

there are folks from Africa teaching English for 100 pesos an hour

however, I know a man who started out at 300 and now pulls in 1000 an hour

training for the TOEFL will command 400 an hour or more.. IF you can find your clients,,, and have a place to teach.... or are willing to spend hours in traffic in publicos.....

best bet probably is to go teach at Dominican American---where they will be happy to have you and where you will make perhaps a living wage of US $1500 a month

Carol Morgan pays better but is also stricter on requirements and harder work

(note, I do not have an ED degree but am a journalist with good Spanish--- I think it will be hard as a freelancer with NO Spanish)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I DID,and I WILL!
I asked my mother-in-law last Sept.how much we paying the tutor.She said 1,500 pesos.I said that we would give her 2,000.
I KNOW,big spender!
I will start giving her 2,500 this month.
Apparently,1,500 was what she originally asked for.
She is WONDERFUL!
My girls "Notas" are very good.
CC

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I tutor and get 400 pesos/hour, however not in Santo Domingo.

where are you? and what sort of training? How is your Spanish? I am glad to hear that folks are paying that much - as they certainly should for an educated native English speaker who is a good teacher. (I am a gifted teacher but not a credentialed one.. except for a good old liberal arts bachelor's degree....)

95civhb

Jan 25, 2012
Well, that makes it a fairly easy decision. I'm sure I could go and dance in the street for $2 an hour haha...

Thanks for the info...

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
When I tutored there I made the equivalent of approx 15 to 20 USD per hour based on the exchange rate then - depending on if it was one or two students and what work we were doing.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
I have my Bachelors in Education, focus in primary junior through Queens University in Ontario, Canada. My Spanish isn't great. I'm a grade 5 teacher at an English school in the city of Puerto Plata (teaching all subjects in English besides the designated Spanish ones- civica, spanish, and sociales.) I tutor mainly students from the school but also have some that go to different schools as well. Started off with 300 pesos because that was the going rate through a program at the school but now get 400 pesos as all my tutoring is not done through the school. Some homework help, a lot of reading/ reading comprehension help, and also English tutoring as well (with conversation and reading involved).

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i know teachers in santo domingo who get 800pesos an hour, catering to carol morgan and st. george students.

in santiago i get $450.

Apr 10, 2006
Is the tutoring you are doing in your student's homes or businesses? Do you do just one on one tutoring or any group? What would you charge for small group?? Like 3-5 people? Just wondering.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
I tutor some students after school at the school and others I go to their homes. You can do a group rate if you like. If it were 3-5 people you could make it a monthly rate rather than a by the hour rate. It really all depends the area you're in and what you're catering to. If it's just for basic homework supervision/help in a group maybe 2000 pesos/month/child, depending on the size of the group. If it involves more reteaching and tutoring you could adjust the rate... It really all depends. Personally, if they ask me how much, I automatically say 400/hour/student for private, one on one tutoring. I have a family pair that I do individualized tutoring with and for the 2 of them I charge 500 for the hour... So if it were 2 friends together it would give the parents a break as it would only be 250 each... but since these children are family it's all coming out of one pocket anyway.... I'd get a feel for who you are wanting to cater to and the area and then make a plan based on that. You don't want to have outrageous prices for your area and have no one want you, but you also don't want to have cheap prices if what you are offering is worth more. Depending on credentials, etc, your price could go up..

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Hi,
in Santiago I find its not too easy to find good tutoring if you are looking for bilingual tutoring.
I pay 300 Peso a day for between 1 and 1.5 our tutoring 5 times a week for a boy in 3.grade private school.
Additional I pay for the transport to my house.

Aug 21, 2007
I am on the North Coast. I have regular students with whom I do individual tutoring Monday - Thursday and sometimes on weekends if they have tests or projects. My rate is 600 pesos an hour- far less than I earned as an administrator in education, but the hours are great and I love having the individual contact with the kids and seeing their academic growth.

Lindsey