Mountainannie's Blog

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Read your blog. Be very careful, Annie. As I'm sure you're well aware, the "security" around illegal transactions occurring in the open is the consequences that will happen to anyone who disrupts business.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Read your blog. Be very careful, Annie. As I'm sure you're well aware, the "security" around illegal transactions occurring in the open is the consequences that will happen to anyone who disrupts business.

I am not sure that I understand what you mean.. PM me, please

unless of course you mean that the cartels would rather have me dead than alive

that, I know

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
wow - reading that once again is a wake up call to me in my little house in the UK.

Whilst I have always watched you from afar Annie - all i can say is - i respect and admire what you do.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Not to be redundant, but wow is my first response E! I am looking forward to getting together when I visit in Feb. I applaud your committment and the good work that you continue to do.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Wow! Let me just say first...A big Thank you to you Annie! And secondly, keep up the good work!! You qualify to be canonized as a saint in my opinion.

PS. If it's any consolation, i grew up eating Quaker Oats and loved them.

Growing up in Ohio, i was surrounded by Quakers and Shakers, and man, do they know how to make pies!!!

Keep up the good fight. The world need more people like you!

Frank

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~Annie

Your commitment and dedication to the Dominican and Haitian people is to be commended! I applaud your efforts, and compasion you show to these folks.....;)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
New blog post.. Changing Perspectives: An Island United

and many thanks

and I have put a donate button up on the blog so that CC can take the tip jar down from his computer....

The Association of Haitian Workers in Las Terrenas had their first official meeting in Las Terrenas on Saturday.

And I was NOT EVEN THERE !!!!!

Good job Annie, you started something!

Is the Paypal button/tip jar for the Haitians, or for the guitar??:cheeky:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
It's up for the American Express bill! Which includes $6000 for the food for the Haitians....

No-- it wasn't just food-- about half was food the other half was for the rental car which I kept up there for three months. I do not have a car and would usually be fine but the car was the ONLY car that we had -- so it was usually out making rounds even if I was home. So it was 6k for the car and gas and the food.. the rent I covered.

I have heard back from both Edwin Paraison.. who has offered me the cover of his foundation Fundacion Zile. Edwin is an Episcopal priest ordained here and a former government minister in Haiti.. very well respected by all, a real diplomat .. and Max, who has put me in touch with a coopertive bank here so I am certain that pretty soon we will be able to get a small grant to get an office started.

I have in mind that we can get those neat straw bags -- the Haitians call them macoutes..which
I have only seen for sale in San Jose de Ocoa and Elias Pina... but they are GREAT bags.. and then we can have some of the Haitian artists in the Association paint them and we can pay them and start a little micro business which can help fund the ongoing expenses.

Do you have anyone who might have a contact for getting the baskets?

I have not even seen them in the Mercado Model although I have not checked in the last year.

But they would be a great tourist item.

Goll

Mar 10, 2009
When I saw what you had to say about the narco money I thought you must surely have left the island, I have been keeping an eye on your blog since we met a couple of years ago. I did not get in touch last year but did get to see the situation in Port au Prince. All the best and when my bank account is back in the black I will send a little donation. . . I hope we meet again, Iarla

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Thanks, Iarla... I remember you well.. Please post some of your pix of Haiti as I am sure that you have them. The Irish are beloved over there! And happy Imbolc to you! The narco stuff was only incidental -- just a stumble on -- and I was (And AM) very well protected as a member of the press so I am fine here. After the primary debt is paid, I will buy the Taylor guitar to set up my new dream career as a New England Celtic folk singer at the French Cafes in Las Terrenas.. happily reading Tarot cards for the tourists......

Goll

Mar 10, 2009
Let's be friends on Facebook. I have posted some photos of the Dominican Republic and Haiti.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have in mind that we can get those neat straw bags -- the Haitians call them macoutes..which
I have only seen for sale in San Jose de Ocoa and Elias Pina... but they are GREAT bags.. and then we can have some of the Haitian artists in the Association paint them and we can pay them and start a little micro business which can help fund the ongoing expenses.

Do you have anyone who might have a contact for getting the baskets?

I have not even seen them in the Mercado Model although I have not checked in the last year.

But they would be a great tourist item.

I don't know which straw bags you mean, but we'll be in DR starting the 12th, and will be driving up to Ocoa from time to time over the next 2 months, and you're welcome to come along with us. Maybe we can make a connection for you there.

Keep in touch

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Yes; all may not be what it seems; the art market is extrordinarily fickle. I also know Hatians in responsible but not well paying jobs who are able to provide for extended families. I also know there are plots near the borders that are being worked by hard working Hatians and the produce is good for self - sufficiency. Poverty reporters miss these folks out entirely.
Compose an essay ,Why I am entitled to sell my art at six hundred dollars a canvas,
pi2

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Yes; all may not be what it seems; the art market is extrordinarily fickle. I also know Hatians in responsible but not well paying jobs who are able to provide for extended families. I also know there are plots near the borders that are being worked by hard working Hatians and the produce is good for self - sufficiency. Poverty reporters miss these folks out entirely.
Compose an essay ,Why I am entitled to sell my art at six hundred dollars a canvas,
pi2

for years Charlie was the perhaps the one artist in town who could really talk with the Europeans because he speaks English and French and Spanish. And his art is original and transformative. I know that having his painting up in my living room changed it from a an apartment to a home.

Most of the art that is on display is copies but there are a few artists like Charlie that produce orginal art. His has been sold in galleries in France and the States and lots of the smaller islands.

Now in LT there are new galleries run by foreigners -- so much of the "art" world is marketing..

(Both my mother and my brother were artists so I know this field very well -- if they get a good gallery - if their work is in a good museum etc....)

But among the Haitians themselves, they can tell you who the Best artists are.. who the orginal artists are...