Haiti and the shaming of the aid zealots!

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Have just come across this on the Daily Mail website - Makes grim reading.

Haiti and the shaming of the aid zealots: How donated billions have INCREASED poverty and corruption | Mail Online

Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

GNLove

Jan 8, 2012
Check Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine.
[h=2]The Shock Doctrine[/h]
In THE SHOCK DOCTRINE, Naomi Klein explodes the myth that the global free market triumphed democratically. Exposing the thinking, the money trail and the puppet strings behind the world-changing crises and wars of the last four decades, The Shock Doctrine is the gripping story of how America’s “free market” policies have come to dominate the world-- through the exploitation of disaster-shocked people and countries.

Martelly-Clinton Seal Deal for Next Wave of Disaster Capitalism in Haiti

Perhaps the most frank admission of what the struggling Haitian people can expect in the coming years was summed up in Clinton’s praise for the joint effort between the U.S. and the Inter-American Development

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
"The Republic of NGOs" ? lots of those around

In my fifth decade of living around the world in strange places I get greatly surprised that anyone would still harbor warm thoughts of any sort of AID people.

Government sponsored "aid" that I've witnessed always turned out to be money schemes for the great interests and a sop of immorality to their adherents on the ground.
Ditto for many, if not most, of the NGOs, which are really just money laundries for the GOs.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Early this week I was with someone that works with lots of NGO's in Haiti. He was very damming in inefficiency and wastefulness of many of the them, lack of on ground coordination, primadonna syndrome etc.

In his opinion Haiti had a window of opportunity that has now been lost. I guess time will tell :(

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
In my fifth decade of living around the world in strange places I get greatly surprised that anyone would still harbor warm thoughts of any sort of AID people.

Government sponsored "aid" that I've witnessed always turned out to be money schemes for the great interests and a sop of immorality to their adherents on the ground.
Ditto for many, if not most, of the NGOs, which are really just money laundries for the GOs.

As soon as honest leadership shows up this trend will end. Ultimately there will be more damage done to the people of Haiti because of "earthquake related aid" than was done by the earthquake itself.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vDyJPRb35oM?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vDyJPRb35oM?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

GNLove

Jan 8, 2012
And the madness continues:

[h=2]Nigeria: Thrown into Chaos and a State of Civil War: The Role of the IMF[/h] Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation and its largest oil producer, is from all evidence being systematically thrown into chaos and a state of civil war. The recent surprise decision by the government of Goodluck Jonathan to abruptly lift subsidies on imported gasoline and other fuel has a far more sinister background than mere corruption and the Washington-based International Monetary Fund (IMF) is playing a key role. China appears to be the likely loser along with Nigeria’s population.

nassaubert

Apr 27, 2012
Excellent article. I have worked in Nigeria sporadically since I was a callow youth in 1972. It is sad to say that it is a country that has gone backwards consistently, particularly with regard to the welfare of it's people. The IMF certainly does nothing to minimse corruption.
One slight correction, the abolition of the fuel subsidy was not quite the overnight event as described in the article. I was there. It was first mooted and widely reported in the press several months earlier and was decided upon in early November 2011 and announced in that month's budget. The problem was that most ordinary people did not realise or believe it would happen. The ensuing outbreaks of violence were entirely predictable. I advised my client that no staff should return post Christmas holidays.
Many of the facilities in neighbouring countries and in SA that refine Nigerian oil are owned by the Nigerian elite, former Heads of State, Ministers and their families, known as the Untouchables in Nigeria because of their stolen Mega Wealth. What saddens me most is that many western Former Leaders, and one in particular, TB of the former GB fawn and rub shoulders with these people at the same time as wanting to be seen supporting and offering taxpayer support to the impoverished people their "friends" subjugate and rob. Soapbox finished!! Almost......try to find the video (used to be on Youtube) of TB kissing Obasanjo of Nigeria on the cheek, a man acknowledged to be responsible for the murder of 100,000 men, women and children during his 2 terms in office.
Thanks for posting the article

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You mean,,,,,,,you mean that the $14,560,000 that my friend's husband left in the
Bank of Nigeria won't be able to be accessed? What can I do with my airplane tickets to
Togo where we were to meet with officials of the bank in order to release the funds!

D@mn! I was so looking forward to helping that woman whose son has such an odd
assortment of ailments...what a shame...

HB (very tongue in cheek)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Check Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine.
[h=2]The Shock Doctrine[/h]
In THE SHOCK DOCTRINE, Naomi Klein explodes the myth that the global free market triumphed democratically. Exposing the thinking, the money trail and the puppet strings behind the world-changing crises and wars of the last four decades, The Shock Doctrine is the gripping story of how America?s ?free market? policies have come to dominate the world-- through the exploitation of disaster-shocked people and countries.

Martelly-Clinton Seal Deal for Next Wave of Disaster Capitalism in Haiti

Perhaps the most frank admission of what the struggling Haitian people can expect in the coming years was summed up in Clinton?s praise for the joint effort between the U.S. and the Inter-American Development

Yes, Naomi has made a lot of money off that book.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
What?

Do Gooders do more harm than good?

:cheeky:

Who'da thunk it???

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
The bleeding heart do gooders are the worst thieves. They wont donate a penny of their own but they will try to shame everyone else into giving. Then theres the celebrities like Wyclef . He raised 16 million and gave about a hundred grand to the people.
Whenever the gubmint is giving out money it will never go to wherever it is intended. Whenever a celebrity is raising money it will not go where its intended.
Cest la vie.