is it all about the colonial zone???

rico.rico

Jan 27, 2012
hi there,

after doing just a little bit of research on this site.. the thing i saw the most when it comes to a good place to live in santo domingo is colonial zone.

can somebody help me out a little bit on this one..

80434512.jpg

the right side, the one i circled in red.. is that a more dangerous place to live? what makes the left side better than the right side? (if that's the case at all)

i'm young, so i like to go clubbing and like to go to the gym.. so is the colonial zone well located for this?

other than the colonial zone, which places are good to live in?

thanks in advance,

rico!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The Colonial zone is a bad place to live, just outside is okay so you can walk in, but I wouldn't want to live there. I like the South end of Lincoln, zona universitaria area, quiet, very safe and simple to get everywhere on public transport. Yes the other side of the river is less popular, you got it right, although depends who you are, what your experience is, who you would be living with etc etc.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
If you live in the Zona Universitaria and have a car it's a lot easier to get to from anywhere north of 27 with the new tunnel from Gasset now open.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
For you the Colonial Zone will be an excellent choice. Everything you need is within walking distance bars, stores, resturants etc. If this is your 1st time in DR I would prefer you stayed in the CZ this way you can get a feel on how the island works. You will be able to talk with people from around the world and locals, some of these people have the best insight on the island.

I would not recommend you live in places like Naco, Bella Vista, Piantini, or Mirador Sur or barrios similar until you under stand how the island works. Zona Universitaria is OK, but you say you are young I think CZ will be your best bet, and if you do not lik it you can always move.

As for the other side of the bridge sure a lot of people like to say its awful, dangerous, not a nice place to live, and these same people are saying this from a far. I lived on this side of SD and it is WAY TOO COOL for the masses, but you are new to the island so this part of SD would not be for you just yet.

Many people of the district have a desire to brainwash people who are not fimilar with the island about other parts of SD. Sure you have more highrises, BMWS, Mercedes, Lexus, IPhones, Maids and the superficial mentality that accompanies one for having all of these things. If you don't believe move into one of those barrios I stated above, and ask people about living across the bridge, 99% of the people will say the same thing word for word as if they were brainwash or a CYBORG or something.

Keep your guard up all the time and you will be fine. BTW Do not let anyone tell you that you are safer in one part of town then the other, you can become a victim of crime ANYWHERE on the planet. You can get stuck up in CZ and you can get in Zona Universitaria, and its not greater in one then the other.

Last edited:

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
hi there,

after doing just a little bit of research on this site.. the thing i saw the most when it comes to a good place to live in santo domingo is colonial zone.

can somebody help me out a little bit on this one..

80434512.jpg

the right side, the one i circled in red.. is that a more dangerous place to live? what makes the left side better than the right side? (if that's the case at all)

i'm young, so i like to go clubbing and like to go to the gym.. so is the colonial zone well located for this?

other than the colonial zone, which places are good to live in?

thanks in advance,

rico!

I reposted the image on TinyPic:

avkn6u.jpg

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
You will be fine en el este

Alma rosa is good,It's probably the College point(Queens,NY) of Santo Domingo.Do this,search on Google "Dr1 zona oriental" look up el rey del mangu's post.He's from NY so he's righ on the money,so was JMB's post even though he's from chitown.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
JMB, it is not good to tell someone that all areas of the city are of equal danger, that is simply not true. Yes keep your guard up at all times, but don't go wandering around as if danger is a lottery, there is a logical way of protecting yourself, and that is to try and stay where there is a higher concentration of security/police/people.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you're young, avoid the Colonial Zone, the best clubs, bars, eating places and shopping are not close by. Alma Rosa is ok, but unless you're fluent in Spanish, understand the culture, I would keep away from living in Zona Oriental.

My advice is Naco, Julieta, Fernandez, Piantini etc. Any area within easy reach of Winston Churchill and Lincoln. Nightlife is split into two main areas, in and around Churchill/Lincoln and the other side of the river around Av. Venezuela.

Churchill/Lincoln = Middle to high class. Techno, european/usa music, high end clubs and restaurants. High end malls and areas to live in.

Av. Venezuela = Middle to low class. Salsa, local music. Low end clubs, street food. Low end malls and areas to live in.

If you need any more advice, PM me or post. I have been living in Santo Domingo for 15 years, so have a pretty good idea of what's what :) Also drop a PM to "EverythingJeff" he is pretty clued in on the nightlife scene in SD.

rico.rico

Jan 27, 2012
For you the Colonial Zone will be an excellent choice. Everything you need is within walking distance bars, stores, resturants etc. If this is your 1st time in DR I would prefer you stayed in the CZ this way you can get a feel on how the island works. You will be able to talk with people from around the world and locals, some of these people have the best insight on the island.

I would not recommend you live in places like Naco, Bella Vista, Piantini, or Mirador Sur or barrios similar until you under stand how the island works. Zona Universitaria is OK, but you say you are young I think CZ will be your best bet, and if you do not lik it you can always move.

As for the other side of the bridge sure a lot of people like to say its awful, dangerous, not a nice place to live, and these same people are saying this from a far. I lived on this side of SD and it is WAY TOO COOL for the masses, but you are new to the island so this part of SD would not be for you just yet.

Many people of the district have a desire to brainwash people who are not fimilar with the island about other parts of SD. Sure you have more highrises, BMWS, Mercedes, Lexus, IPhones, Maids and the superficial mentality that accompanies one for having all of these things. If you don't believe move into one of those barrios I stated above, and ask people about living across the bridge, 99% of the people will say the same thing word for word as if they were brainwash or a CYBORG or something.

Keep your guard up all the time and you will be fine. BTW Do not let anyone tell you that you are safer in one part of town then the other, you can become a victim of crime ANYWHERE on the planet. You can get stuck up in CZ and you can get in Zona Universitaria, and its not greater in one then the other.

nice one!

rico.rico

Jan 27, 2012
If you're young, avoid the Colonial Zone, the best clubs, bars, eating places and shopping are not close by. Alma Rosa is ok, but unless you're fluent in Spanish, understand the culture, I would keep away from living in Zona Oriental.

My advice is Naco, Julieta, Fernandez, Piantini etc. Any area within easy reach of Winston Churchill and Lincoln. Nightlife is split into two main areas, in and around Churchill/Lincoln and the other side of the river around Av. Venezuela.

Churchill/Lincoln = Middle to high class. Techno, european/usa music, high end clubs and restaurants. High end malls and areas to live in.

Av. Venezuela = Middle to low class. Salsa, local music. Low end clubs, street food. Low end malls and areas to live in.

If you need any more advice, PM me or post. I have been living in Santo Domingo for 15 years, so have a pretty good idea of what's what :) Also drop a PM to "EverythingJeff" he is pretty clued in on the nightlife scene in SD.

when i go clubbing i always like to go to the clubs where it goes down!!! no up tight bs! just shaking that ass type of ish! i'm 24, i need to go to those reggeaton parties! of course if they're not around the colonial zone i'll just get a cab. but no techno bs for me!

rico.rico

Jan 27, 2012
the way is see it, i think colonial zone is a good place to start and then move on from there. i've never been to santo domingo before so i think staying there is the best thing to do yeah.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Depends on budget, a short term deal is going to cost you 2 or 3 times the cost of a longer term contract. If you can afford it then great, if you have a tighter budget then you won't make it.

For example a monthly rent on a long term contract can be the weekly price of a short term contract. Worth thinking about. Do Aparthotels for the first month. Hotel Danae, 1000 pesos per night on a longer than 2 week situation.

There are others at the same price, but Danae is probably the quietest place in the capital, it is nice not to have traffic.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Depends on budget, a short term deal is going to cost you 2 or 3 times the cost of a longer term contract. If you can afford it then great, if you have a tighter budget then you won't make it.

For example a monthly rent on a long term contract can be the weekly price of a short term contract. Worth thinking about. Do Aparthotels for the first month. Hotel Danae, 1000 pesos per night on a longer than 2 week situation.

There are others at the same price, but Danae is probably the quietest place in the capital, it is nice not to have traffic.
Danae is right around the corner from me... and sure it is quiet but last time I checked, it is not an apartment hotel .. just a hotel.
try Hostal Plaza Yu for a month long stay

you will have a kitchen

but, of course, if you do not cook and are happy with empanadas and la bandera...

(even so, I think you can get Plaza Yu cheaper than Danae which is high -- you should be able to get a month stay in an aparthotel closer to $500 to 600... I stayed in one for three months when I first came to SD