New to ALL of this!

aes2boomer

Jan 27, 2012
I'm not even sure where to begin. I am very new to the whole "Message Board" thing so I will do my best to keep up.
My husband and I are planning on moving to the DR once he retires next year. He was born in Santiago but has lived here in the US since he was 10. We have visited several times and I absolutely fell in love with everything the moment I stepped off the plane.
My husband is finishing his Masters in Education and wants to teach and give back to his "home". We have thought about the international schools and teach abroad but he wants to work in more of the disadvantaged areas and not in some rich private school.
We do have a little bit of a pension that we will be able to use to supplement the little income that he will make from any of these smaller schools so money is a little of a worry for me but not too much. We certainly are not looking to make it rich... Money rich, that is!
I am looking for any info I can get. I'm a sponge when it comes to stuff like this and I do TONS of research but there is only so much you can get from books. I have been reading this site like crazy since I found it and love all the wonderful info I have read so far.
Any info on schools (other than are listed on the info page) and family friendly areas we could look to rent a place when we first arrive would be greatly appreciated.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Giving back is always nice, as long as the folks want to take what you want to give.

That said, I would suggest looking into teaching at a good university like PUCMM where he can train people to train others.

Another road might be to join one of the smaller schools that do cater to disadvantaged students like Hermano Miguel or Padre Fortin or even the Albergue Infantil Santiago Apostol...Lunch money and your pension will work out pretty good.

Idealism is fine, as long as there are no bill collectors at the door. He could also set up a tutoring program at almost any of the clubs: GUG. SAMEJI. CDP. CUPES etc...Afternoon after-school programs...stuff like that.

(One word of advice: No more mention of anything to do with what you will or will not receive. There are people watching that will target you for the money...be careful with these details)

If you need help, go off the board and use the PM to ask tough questions or stuff relating to finances and such..

Welcome to a great community and welcome to DR1...

HB

aes2boomer

Jan 27, 2012
HB, thanks for the great advice. Hopefully this next year of planning will help me ripen up a bit :)