Scuba Diving in the south, Juan Dolio, Info anyone???

B

Billyb

Has anyone done any scuba diving in the south part of the island? I am going to be staying there for two weeks in May and I want to do some diving. Any info about dive operations dive sites etc would be very helpful. Does anyone know if this hotel has it's own dive facility? If not is there a good one near by?? Please let me know! Once again thanks in advance for the help Bill Ottawa, Canada

D

DR One

Lillian, a frequent contributor to the board, posted the following on Jan 1, 1999 (to find the original check the message board archives):

"I go snorkelling regularly in Juan Dolio. There is a fine coral reef. Unfortunately, depending upon which hotel you are staying at, you may have to go through some water with 10" visibility before getting there. You may be lucky and arrive at a time when the waters are crystal clear and you will have great snorkelling. The area between Costa Caribe and Punta Garza hotels is the best to start from, but the area in front of Decameron has a wonderful reef. Have a great trip. The beach is very nice.

There are excursions to Saona Island, Catalina Island and of course excursions to Santo Domingo and Puerta Plata and Jeep excursions available. You should have a wonderful time."

Also see our scuba diving page.

L

Lilian

I would like to add that there are several diving companies in the Juan Dolio area. Some are associated with the hotels, but there is at least one in Juan Dolio. I believe it is run by some German people and is supposed to be quite good. You can't miss it if you go into Juan Dolio, near Punta Garza. My favourite is Dolphin (Delfin) which is from Boca Chica, but also operates in Juan Dolio. My information is not current, but they use to operate out of Decameron Hotel. I was very impressed with their attention to details and the safety of their groups.