kale or spinach? dark leafy greens? North Coast

johnjnice

Jan 9, 2012
Hello--

Any ideas on where to get some dark leafy greens on the north coast? We're staying in Cabarete. Janet's didnt really have it. Collards? Kale? Spinach? Chards?
Thanks,

John

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Arugala maybe? Available most of the time.

arugula_300.jpg

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Arugala is available is packages at janets and Playero in Sosua for about 22 pesos. Bok Choy for about 15-25 pesos. Organic Kale, Mustard Greens, and sometimes Collard Greens and Swiss Chard are available from Finca Verde in Playero and sometimes Janets for 50-75 pesos a bag. Fresh Spinach is available at Playero for about 70 pesos and frozen spinach from Vima available at both stores.

Jan 17, 2009
Janet has some interesting organic greens. You need to ask which day they receive the organics. Sorry I asked but forgot. They carry something Dominicans call Spinach but it is definitely not a spinach looking leave. I buy it only for soups. They also carry frozen spinach. I never saw Kale at Janet's or Playero.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Janet has some interesting organic greens. You need to ask which day they receive the organics. Sorry I asked but forgot. They carry something Dominicans call Spinach but it is definitely not a spinach looking leave. I buy it only for soups. They also carry frozen spinach. I never saw Kale at Janet's or Playero.

The loose "espinaca" is bok choy...and it's great sauteed with olive oil and garlic. They also sell traditional spinach, also called espinaca, in a plastic bag, but the leaves are kind of tough. I just bought organic red russian Kale at Playero and Janets in the last two weeks, and mustard greens from Playero a couple of days ago. I think they only deliver once or twice a week and it goes fast. Also, some things don't come every week, same with the arugala from the company in the smaller plastic bags...that also sells fresh basil, mint, rosmery, etc...