Any new Dominican Naturalization/citizenship rules for 2012 ?

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Hi, I'm a Permanent-Resident.
I wanted to know if there are any new laws (for 2012) in getting full Dominican citizenship.
Has anyone gone through the process and would this process require a lawyer ?
If you've gone through the naturalization process please let me know of the paperwork that was needed and the timeline from start to full citizenship.

Thanks,

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
This interests me very much. My wife is a US citizen and is interested in becoming a Dominican Citizen as well.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
I was inquiring as a long time Permanent-Resident with no Familial ties to the Dominican-Republic.
If anyone has become a Dominican citizen without marriage to a Dominican.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
I was inquiring as a long time Permanent-Resident with no Familial ties to the Dominican-Republic.
If anyone has become a Dominican citizen without marriage to a Dominican.

According to my lawyer, an applicant can only apply for citizenship 2years into the permanent residency. Search for the 'New Immigration Laws' thread. It's got all info you need

El commandante

Oct 17, 2004
This interests me very much. My wife is a US citizen and is interested in becoming a Dominican Citizen as well.
Lisagauss, I made my wife a citizen just last yr. I got myself a lawyer who is a personal friend of mine and the process went very smothe. I you are interested, you can pm me and I will give you his phone. He lives in Santo Domingo. Good luck

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
LISAGAUSS i am in the process of naturalization right now and it's really easy - no lawyer necessary.
you need a letter of intent (i can send you the template), the US birth certificate with apostille stamp (google it for her home state), the BC translated and stamped, a copy of marriage certificate (if from US, needs to be apostilled, translated and stamped - if from DR, just legalized), your dominican birth certificate (legalized), a color photocopy of your cedula (front and back), the first four pages of wife's passport color copied. and a receipt from a national newspaper (i went to el caribe) for ad space for "intent of naturalization" (around 1,000pesos). Take the whole packet, copy it four times and take it to the depart
ment of policia y interior in santo domingo (13thfloor). $1500 pesos for the right to process,thy'll giveyoua date for an "interview' (and a list of questions). When she gets sworn in, it's another $5000 pesos and then whatever the cedula costs

goodken33

Feb 6, 2012
Lisagauss, I made my wife a citizen just last yr.
g.gif

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Do I need to bring another fresh Birth Certificate (translated to Spanish and stamped by the Dominican consulate abroad) to go ahead with my Naturalization process ?

or is it still possible to retreive the one that was deposited for my residency ?

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
LISAGAUSS i am in the process of naturalization right now and it's really easy - no lawyer necessary.
you need a letter of intent (i can send you the template), the US birth certificate with apostille stamp (google it for her home state), the BC translated and stamped, a copy of marriage certificate (if from US, needs to be apostilled, translated and stamped - if from DR, just legalized), your dominican birth certificate (legalized), a color photocopy of your cedula (front and back), the first four pages of wife's passport color copied. and a receipt from a national newspaper (i went to el caribe) for ad space for "intent of naturalization" (around 1,000pesos). Take the whole packet, copy it four times and take it to the depart
ment of policia y interior in santo domingo (13thfloor). $1500 pesos for the right to process,thy'll giveyoua date for an "interview' (and a list of questions). When she gets sworn in, it's another $5000 pesos and then whatever the cedula costs

LaTeacher, are either you or your wife Dominican?

I spoke to the Dominican Embassy in Manhattan today, and was given different information regarding getting Dominican citizenship, so I'm wondering if things have changed recently, if my info is because I'm married to a Dominican man, or if I was given wrong info.....

I swear, it's more complicated for me to get Dominican citizenship than it was for him to get American citizenship!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
LaTeacher, are either you or your wife Dominican?

I spoke to the Dominican Embassy in Manhattan today, and was given different information regarding getting Dominican citizenship, so I'm wondering if things have changed recently, if my info is because I'm married to a Dominican man, or if I was given wrong info.....

I swear, it's more complicated for me to get Dominican citizenship than it was for him to get American citizenship!

La Teacher is female and American( who is almost a Dominican citizen) married to a Dominican.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Does the birth certificate have to be translated into spanish as well?

They told me today the birth certificate, the marriage certificate and the certificate of good conduct all have to be translated into Spanish BY THE DOMINICAN CONSULATE, and all need apostiles.

They also told me I will need a Dominican medical examination, and take a history exam in Spanish.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
So do we get them translated in your country or here in the DR what if your country does not have a Dominican Consulate?