American and Dominican Divorce question

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I have an American friend who married a Dominican Republic woman. He did ask our advice before they were married how we felt about her. Never ask my wife her opinion! My wife said no way, she doesn't love you and she simply wants to go to the states. After they were married they moved to New York. Eighteen months later she
left him for someone else. My friend had provided her with a nice home, car, clothes etc and even found her a nice job. He also takes care of her son from a previous relationship. He is now seeking a divorce here in the DR. His question. After his divorce here in the DR is he responsible for her in the US? He has withdrawn all support and no longer will continue to be her sponsor. He is also in the process of having her deported. wow things really got out of hand, but I'm sure this is becoming common place. thanks for your help

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
This is kinda' like trying to stuff the poop back into the horse. Everyone hates lawyers, until you need one. I think it's time to get a good divorce lawyer.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Thanks for your response. He is madly in love with this woman who has taken him for most of everything he has and is still trying to take more. They say love is blind, and its so true in this case. He loves her so much, he is blind with love, but stupid is coming in a close second. He lives in POP. We have pretty much given up on him as he can not see what she is doing to him. But you only live once and it is his life. He has a lawyer but I sometimes wonder if he thinks by getting her deported from the states that they will get back together in POP. In fact I even asked him the same question. He said no way, I think I'm starting to see what she has done to me. But I still love her and wake up crying. WOW, I'm at a loss for words. Why file for a divorce in the DR? They were married in the DR. He loves it here and hopes to stay here until she takes his house.

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
Thanks for your response. He is madly in love with this woman who has taken him for most of everything he has and is still trying to take more. They say love is blind, and its so true in this case. He loves her so much, he is blind with love, but stupid is coming in a close second. He lives in POP. We have pretty much given up on him as he can not see what she is doing to him. But you only live once and it is his life. He has a lawyer but I sometimes wonder if he thinks by getting her deported from the states that they will get back together in POP. In fact I even asked him the same question. He said no way, I think I'm starting to see what she has done to me. But I still love her and wake up crying. WOW, I'm at a loss for words. Why file for a divorce in the DR? They were married in the DR. He loves it here and hopes to stay here until she takes his house.

Sorry for his misfortune but he's going to get exactly what he deserves and stupid "will win by a nose."

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I have an American friend who married a Dominican Republic woman. He did ask our advice before they were married how we felt about her. Never ask my wife her opinion! My wife said no way, she doesn't love you and she simply wants to go to the states. After they were married they moved to New York. Eighteen months later she
left him for someone else. My friend had provided her with a nice home, car, clothes etc and even found her a nice job. He also takes care of her son from a previous relationship. He is now seeking a divorce here in the DR. His question. After his divorce here in the DR is he responsible for her in the US? He has withdrawn all support and no longer will continue to be her sponsor. He is also in the process of having her deported. wow things really got out of hand, but I'm sure this is becoming common place. thanks for your help
Once her visa to US (green card) he cannot revoke his sponsorship and financial guarantee even in the event of divorce for a period of time. Have to look up what that time period is. I think it is something like she has 40 quarters of work in the US.

dlawyers

Dec 11, 2010
www.dlawyers.com
It depends. Please be careful because there is no a one-fits-all solution.

You mentioned that after the marriage, they moved to New York. Is your friend still living in New York? Where is the wife now? If none of them are in the Dominican Republic at this time your friend cannot file for a divorce in the Dominican Republic, no matter if they got married here.

To answer correctly all other related questions, your friend will need to provide more details to ensure that he will take the correct steps and avoid to ending up paying more than what he supposed to or (worst) to get a divorce that won't be recognized in future.

Please keep in mind that each divorce is different, because of the particularity and facts of each cases, the situation the parties are in at the time the divorce will be filed to include where they are located.

We highly recommend your friend to get a consultation with an experienced family law attorney (and an immigration attorney) in US if both of them are living in US at this time, or with an experienced family law attorney in Dominican Republic -who also have knowledge of international and immigration laws- if one of them (either your friend or his wife) are living in the Dominican Republic.