We must be extra vigilant.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
People, we don't want another Mexico in the Caribbean and we should be extra careful but have our antenas up and tactically report any drug traffiking in our soil. Just be careful when reporting activities to the authority agent because they could be on the Mexican cartel's payroll. Don't report activities if you can't CYA and your loved ones.

We must stop them before they gain too much power and before other rival cartels come turn our towns into another wild west.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Washington.- Dominican authorities have detected cells of Mexico?s Sinaloa drug Cartel in the northern part of their country, said its ambassador during a congressional hearing in the United States Wednesday.

An?bal de Castro, who appeared before the Senate committee for the combat of international drug trafficking, said the Mexican national Luis Fernando Bertolucci Castillo after his arrest confessed that the Sinaloa Cartel ?aims to create a route to Europe through the Dominican Republic.?

After being detained and questioned, Bertolucci was extradited to the United States, where he faces charges of money laundering and drug trafficking.

The diplomat linked the cartel, which could be operating in the northern cities of Santiago, La Vega and Jarabacoa, with the recent murders of three Colombians, a Spaniard and a Venezuelan and noted that the Sinaloa Cartel can ?be receiving help from Dominican criminal groups in the Cibao (north) region to acquire chemicals used in the manufacture of narcotics.?

Cooperation

De Castro also lauded Washington?s cooperation with the Caribbean nation in the war on drugs, but called ?crucial? the creation of a Tactical Air Control Center with high capacity radars to improve airspace surveillance, especially along the Haitian border, among other measures.

www.dominicantoday.com

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
AND JUST WHO DO WE "INFORM" ABOUT ILLEGAL Drug Activities?????
My suggestion,is just go up to whoever you see involved in those activities,and ask them for a "Police Report Form"!
Since many Drug Activities include the "Policia National",military,and Drug Control agents,they should be able to get the form for you!
The drug/narcostate,here,as everywhere, is controlled/allowed from the highest levels of the police/military/government.
We can't avoid the "Slippery Slope" here in the DR any longer.
We are on it"!
"Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh"!
CC

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Simple problem to solve. Just have Nancy Reagan come to the DR and teach everyone to "Just Say No" to drugs.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
What about hiring Eliot Ness the man that fought Capone... or using the Super Tucanos to bombard the coke plantations?

JJ

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
Anybody for a little bit of legalization?How's the "war on drugs" been working, really? Here in the Excited States, in many prisons, a very large percentage of inmates are incarcerated for non-violent drug-related crimes. Mexican ex-president Fox, as well as current Colombian president Santos, plus many high-level US law enforcement folks are speaking openly about legalization. Is it a perfect solution? No, probably not, but the long-running war on drugs ain't working, Bucky.It may just be time for a change.....

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
What we need is a balaguer controlled type of goverment back again. That knows how to deal with these un-desirables and these situations and allow the police to operate under total immunity. Also allow the judges to throw away the key mentality and lock up and keep these criminals in prison indefinetly, the word will get around. Than this country can regain the peaceful living and good reputation it once enjoyed.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
Colombia has a treaty with the US that allows it,s own citizens to be deported to the US for prosecution on crimes related to drugs and money laundering. This has helped colombia control the drug trade as this has avoided the conflicts of cartel contrlolled goverment and justice system that operate in weaker and poor countrys. This might be good idea in the DR if things continue to get out of control.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Colombia has a treaty with the US that allows it,s own citizens to be deported to the US for prosecution on crimes related to drugs and money laundering. This has helped colombia control the drug trade as this has avoided the conflicts of cartel contrlolled goverment and justice system that operate in weaker and poor countrys. This might be good idea in the DR if things continue to get out of control.

This is in place now. They deport Domincans to the US on a regular basis.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
What we need is a balaguer controlled type of goverment back again. That knows how to deal with these un-desirables and these situations and allow the police to operate under total immunity. Also allow the judges to throw away the key mentality and lock up and keep these criminals in prison indefinetly, the word will get around. Than this country can regain the peaceful living and good reputation it once enjoyed.

Balaguer is THE reason why we have a corrupt police nowadays, so NO we don't need more of that. The reason drugs weren't a big concern back then is because The DR was not a big transit route in those days, if it had been then we would have had just as much trouble as now. What The DR government needs to do is to not get on the high horse of "we're going to fight the cartels" and start an internal war like they did in Mexico...this is the reason for all the murders. Controlling the internal micro traffic is the key to lowering crime rates in The DR. I personally don't care that much if they bring in 20 tonnes of drugs into the country, repackage it and ship it out to The US or Europe...that should be The US and Europe's problem, but I do care if 100 kilos of that drug is left in the country for internal consumption...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Anybody for a little bit of legalization?How's the "war on drugs" been working, really? Here in the Excited States, in many prisons, a very large percentage of inmates are incarcerated for non-violent drug-related crimes. Mexican ex-president Fox, as well as current Colombian president Santos, plus many high-level US law enforcement folks are speaking openly about legalization. Is it a perfect solution? No, probably not, but the long-running war on drugs ain't working, Bucky.It may just be time for a change.....

You are correct, but nobody is listening. There is far too much money to be made keeping the war on drugs going just as it is. Those making the money don't care about a few deaths.

jad604

Nov 17, 2011

Can you name one country where this philosophy has worked? Limited legalization and taxation will remove the exorbitantly high profit margin and thus most of the criminal element, especially the violent sector. It is really that simple.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
Balaguer is THE reason why we have a corrupt police nowadays, so NO we don't need more of that. The reason drugs weren't a big concern back then is because The DR was not a big transit route in those days, if it had been then we would have had just as much trouble as now. What The DR government needs to do is to not get on the high horse of "we're going to fight the cartels" and start an internal war like they did in Mexico...this is the reason for all the murders. Controlling the internal micro traffic is the key to lowering crime rates in The DR. I personally don't care that much if they bring in 20 tonnes of drugs into the country, repackage it and ship it out to The US or Europe...that should be The US and Europe's problem, but I do care if 100 kilos of that drug is left in the country for internal consumption...
With all do respect I have to disagree with you. I moved to the DR in 1990 and I never forget what I was told the first day that I arrived by a taxi driver and was warned not to get involve in drugs in the Dr or you will in be in big trouble and will rot in a prison because you will not be able to get out of jail even with money and pull. I lived there for another 6 years and met very influential and wealthy people in the DR with lots of connection and was always offered help if I got into any jam in the country but was always warned not to call them to get you out of jail for drug related issues. They said they could not help me but for any other problems they could resolve it. I had a "get out of jail card" with my contacts. I never needed them as I was always more than an excellent law abiding citizen but it's to show you that back then during the Balaguer goverment they did not play around with this issue and did not take the drug trade lightly and were very hard againist this type of crime. The only thing I can tell you had to live it to see for yourself.

I am originally from Miami and also heard comments from many Colombian people that lived in Miami in those days that discussed this topic and that many of there fellow countrymen were in Dominicans prisons and could not get out even with bribes and connections due to the nature of their crime in the dr that was drugs. You could have gotten away with murder if you had the right connections and money to payoff the judges however, not for drug crime and it was a taboo in those days and during the Balaguer goverment that the drug business was bad for the country and it would destroy the youth and the civilization in general and a free society and did want what happen in Colombia and other drug culture countries to repeat hsitory and have that happen to in the DR as well. Now looking back in time and seeing whats going on in the DR.... THEY WERE RIGHT!!!!​

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"jad604",Singapor comes to my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You get "Lashed" for spitting your gum on the sidewalk!Guess what,NO GUM ON THE SIDEWALK!
Any "crime" above that,the punihment get much more severe!
When I arrived there in about 1973,during my "Back Packing" days,if you had long hair,you had to cut it,no money,no entry,no shoes,same thing.
But who wants to live in a place like that you ask???
Apparently lots of people,and even more "Lots" of international corporations as well!
Place is more than "Booming"!
And it is a mix of cultures and religeons.
You can have strict government control over crime,and still have personal freedoms as well.
The population has to know,and believe,that if you do the crime,you WILL DO THE TIME!!!
In the DR,what the population knows,and believes,is that,If You Do The CRIME,you WILL,Have A Good Time!!!
And THAT,is from the 'JEFE' down to,and including,the "Limpiabota"!
There is no "Dis-Incentive" here to combat criminality.
CC

bdablack

Jun 30, 2011
What a pickle. If a country is rich, there will be drug sales because people with money will buy drugs recrationally, as in the USA. If a country is poor and people have little chance of financial success they will find a way to feed their families. The drug trade will be a viable alternative to poverty, as in the Dominican Republic.
Drug use should be under the control of the government. As it is in Portugal. All drugs are legal. I do not know exactly how they control it but drugs are legal. I do not think addicts should be held hostage because of their addiction. Neither should the poor be held hostage because of being born in poverty.
We should find means to facilitate the right of people to be treated as human beings who have an addiction, while simultaneously finding a way to take the profit out of the drug trade. That would mean rasing the standard of living of the poor people who sell drugs or are involved in the drug trade.
That is dilema, lets have discussuions from the highest and lowest levels of the societies that are affected. Then Pilot Program(s) must be instituded. Study which one(s) work best then institue the program(s) on a large scale. Do we think this is going to happen. The answer to that determines what will happen to the drug trade.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
Juliani said it best

You can't make chicken soup out of chicken "shyit" The DR is one of the most expensive places to live and one of the most dangerous places for a law enforcement officer to work. A lot of remote mountainous areas, few resources, lousy pay. In most towns there are just a handful of cops with two motorcycles and no fuel to run them.

If the Dominican Federal Government is serious about crime and drug trafficking specifically; like Juliani said, you have to "pay these guys", fund their units and get them up to date equipment and resources. And to keep them in line you create a " Super Law Enforcement Agency" a la FBI, DEA etc..

No, I'm not naive about reality, it is a fact that law enforcement officers are not well paid, trained and/or funded in the DR, if anynone had to endure these hot rainy days on the streets or on the back of a motorcycle with no helmet no raincoat and sucking up diesel fumes like that all day, I would not be surprised if they behaved as such. Ever heard the term " you get what you pay for?"

It's a shame that the people who are our first line of defense [" whether you like it or not" they are!] do not even make enough to maintain their families, when in the DR I see too many of them walking, on the public buses, in the streets catching motorcycle taxis, with old worn out uniforms and equipment, and worse yet hitchiking for a ride. You've all seen it, that is why the general population lacks respect for and ridicule them and that is why they have to be constantly asserting themselves. The image that they portray is not that of a well funded police force. Under those circumstances what would you do? would you take the "bribe or the bullet"?

Make of this what you will, under no circumstances am I condoning any type of illegal behavior. What I'm saying is that the problem is much larger than just a few rogue or crooked cops. The Dominican Republic should have been in a state of emergency after they found out how bad that Puerto-Rican fugitive had tainted their police force. Without a total shakeup, the entire organization now lacks credibility.

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Yes but in all fairness, Guliani is an idiot. He took a lot of credit for the 'decrease in crime' which was organic in nature anyways. He also locked up a lot of poor black people for silly offenses like loitering - yah because they're homeless.

'Tough on crime' = misses the point.