Film Club in Puero Plata

Jan 27, 2011
Like old time classic films? Want to see the newest ones that are Oscar contenders? For Puerto Plata residents there are two interesting venues. At City Hall there is a cine-club almost every Tuesday eveing at 7 pn in the Casa de la Cultura which shows classic (like Lawrence of Arabia, etc) films and has discussions about the films. This is mainly in Spanish though the films are often subtetled. Admission is free. For more modern films including Oscar contenders every second Sunday at 3 pm at The Meeting Place -- Meeting Place Puerto Plata -- (this Sunday it is the Le Carre film Tinker Taillor Soldier Spy). After the film there is the chance to discover over coffee etc the merits of the fiml. Films and discussions are in English mailnly. Both of these are great opportunities for students of fiom and those of us who simply liike this medium of entertainment.

danmonte

Jan 27, 2012
I found the Le Carre film a bit confusing. I know that it is an Oscar contender, but .... The next film on the Sunday at the Movies at The Meeting Place is Feb. 26 is The Help. Having grown up in the south in the early 60s this should be interesting -- and much more entertaining that the Le Carre (I hope!). I read the book but I hear the film is something special. Does anyone know of films about the DR (ones that are in English or subtitled in English (or French)?