newcomer

delltdware

Feb 5, 2012
Hi.

I am new to this forum and my name is Dianne. I need some advice and mentoring. I am currently a spanish major at the University in th US, looking to graduate in August. However, I have found myself having a hard time with verbal communicaton and pronounciation. I will be there this summer to study abroad at the University and then I will decide if I would like to live there a year. I believe this will help me get more comfortable with the spanish language and culture. But, I can't leave until next July 2013, because I need to save money and I have to bring my now 14 yr son. What advice can you give me regardinh him, especially. He has never been out of the country. I have for about one month to costa rica. Best area to live? schools? car?do they have a good bus system? I have more than a year to plan this big move.

Please help
Dianne
by the way how do I use?​

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Welcome Dianne!

You've come to the right place for good information on the DR.

I think you're wise in coming here to visit, then deciding if it's for you. Play around with the "search feature" on this site, you'll find a lot of discussion on where to live, good schools etc.

You will find the Spanish in the Dominican Republic very different than that of Costa Rica. It's not a reason to not come, but it can be intimidating at first.

This link explains it (although I'd expect those at the university may have a more understandable Spanish).
Slang in the Dominican Republic

A lot of advice about your son depends on how he's been raised this far, and what he likes. Personally, I'd look at Santiago. Has enough to keep him busy, not so problematic as Santo Domingo, lots of options for weekend trips.

Public transportation is readily available and affordable for the masses, but the "quality" may not be what you are used to, and may include "motoconchos". Major long distance routes have better buses. Living without your own car is doable, and many will advise against driving there anyway.

Good luck, and keep posting!

jabuti

Mar 13, 2011
Are you going to DR for the summer program? Or Costa Rica? Sorry, I got confused. :) Welcome!

Hi.

I am new to this forum and my name is Dianne. I need some advice and mentoring. I am currently a spanish major at the University in th US, looking to graduate in August. However, I have found myself having a hard time with verbal communicaton and pronounciation. I will be there this summer to study abroad at the University and then I will decide if I would like to live there a year. I believe this will help me get more comfortable with the spanish language and culture. But, I can't leave until next July 2013, because I need to save money and I have to bring my now 14 yr son. What advice can you give me regardinh him, especially. He has never been out of the country. I have for about one month to costa rica. Best area to live? schools? car?do they have a good bus system? I have more than a year to plan this big move.

Please help
Dianne
by the way how do I use?​

jabuti

Mar 13, 2011
sorry,

going to DR this summer. went to CR 2010

I went to DR last summer to PUCMM. It is really a nice experience, even if your classroom will be a sauna. :)

My friend took her 14 year old to Ecuador for a year. My impression was that he was pretty mad about leaving his friends behind, but once they started seeing rainforests and volcanoes, he came around. I think he went to an American school there, so he wasn't totally isolated. He seemed to turn out fine. :)

delltdware

Feb 5, 2012
I will be studying abroad to DR this summer for about 8 weeks. I will be comparing costa rica and DR to see which country I want to come back and live for a year. The trip would take place next summer. I will be bringing my 14 year old son,so do you have any suggestions on which city to live? where to rent an apartment 2-3 rooms?

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
Welcome, and I hope you accomplish your heart's desires in the DR. I'm going down myself for the first time later this summer. I particularly envy your 14 y.o. son. What a great age to experience a Latin island society. As a 65 y.o. guy who grew up with an overprotective, though well-meaning mother, may I suggest you give him a long chain and let him roam freely, if he's so disposed. So much fear and caution here in America is not good, imo. I hope you both have a gret time.