Santo Domingo in the eyes of a young boy! (BLOG!)

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Finally, I made it! Estoy en Santo Domingo! :)

I'm starting this "blog" for people like myself, I'm a 25 year old dude who likes to go out, go to clubs, meet people and all that. This is my first time in Santo Domingo, so I'll make mistakes and learn.. I'll keep it 100 in this thread so read and take notes and enjoy.

Let's go!

Crytonb99

Jan 25, 2010
Go ahead bro. I'm exactly like you but i'm 28. So I too will be interested to hear about your adventure. Planning to make a trip for a week at the end of this month.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
So I landed yesterday Sunday the 5th of Feb at around 6pm! Things started out fckd up! Because they lost my keyboard!

But okay, first things first.. your day starts with a charge of $10 or €10 for a tourist card. I so happened to carry both currencies on me so of course I paid in $.

I thought that I had airport pick up arranged, but that didn't happen.. so I paid $40!!! to go to the hotel. I'm beyond greedy and I had arranged 1200 DOP = like $31 but at the same time! WHATEVER! I just took the $10 lost! <- :cry: Take note!

I'm in my hotel, it's all good.. or it's even better! I'm staying in hotel La Danae.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg685/scaled.php?server=685&filename=thehoodg.jpg&res=medium

It's the red zone I'm staying in, the green zone is the tourist friendly zone a.k.a The Colonial Zone.

They tried to be smart with me in the hotel because I asked them at the counter how much it is for 1 night and they told me 1200 DOP. If I didn't write them an e-mail before to ask how much it was I had to pay the 1200 DOP instead of the 1000 DOP I'm paying now like they told me in the e-mail! = like $31 and $26 <- :rambo: Take note!

The room is small, but big enough for me. There is a king size bed (or queen size, I don't know!), there is a van, tv, wi-fi (stay in a room close to the router) and warm water. I'm picky when it comes to not staying in my own place, this is a very very good alternative.

There is a dude here who speaks English and he'll even be your guide.

Other than that, if you want to exchange money, go to Caribe Express. Today I hit $1 = 38.8 DOP and €1 = 50.1 DOP.

This is all for day 1 from the morning till the afternoon, I'll keep this thread updated.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Go ahead bro. I'm exactly like you but i'm 28. So I too will be interested to hear about your adventure. Planning to make a trip for a week at the end of this month.

A week only!? Don't do that to yourself, make it at least 2 weeks.. but I'll hit da clubs later. Now my only mission is to find a gym, and then I'm good to go. So more about clubs is coming later, or if you got other questions just hit me up in this thread.. because if you do PM maybe your question could help someone out as well so if I'll do it here it's better for everyone.

JimmyGibbon

Jun 24, 2010
The room is small, but big enough for me. There is a king size bed (or queen size, I don't know!), there is a van, tv, wi-fi (stay in a room close to the router) and warm water. I'm picky when it comes to not staying in my own place, this is a very very good alternative.

I'm glad your room came with a van :D

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011

I'm glad your room came with a van :D

:hurt: Look at me now!

DID I REALLY SAY VAN!?!?

.. it should be FAN!

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Finally, I made it! Estoy en Santo Domingo! :)

I'm starting this "blog" for people like myself, I'm a 25 year old dude who likes to go out, go to clubs, meet people and all that. This is my first time in Santo Domingo, so I'll make mistakes and learn.. I'll keep it 100 in this thread so read and take notes and enjoy.

Let's go!

Hey what's up MR 305 you are the perfect person to answer this question because it applys to a friend of mine that lives in Miami, and he wants to buy a second home Santo Domingo.

This is my question, Why would a 25 year old from Miami want to party in Santo Domingo? In my opinion Miami and Santo Domingo are very similar if you remove South Beach from the equation.

Miami is not really my scene, but I have visited a couple of times.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Hey what's up MR 305 you are the perfect person to answer this question because it applys to a friend of mine that lives in Miami, and he wants to buy a second home Santo Domingo.

This is my question, Why would a 25 year old from Miami want to party in Santo Domingo? In my opinion Miami and Santo Domingo are very similar if you remove South Beach from the equation.

Miami is not really my scene, but I have visited a couple of times.

The same reason people who live in "party cities" want to party in other "party cities". Who doesn't want to go to Vegas!? Amsterdam!? Tokyo!? London!?

In case of one who would like to visit Santo Domingo?! Maybe one's fantasy about las Dominicanas made his sorry horny S take a flight to see what's really good! :)

Other than that, the above sure applies to me.. but for sure isn't the main reason at all to visit Santo Domingo and if I didn't have my main reason I wouldn't be in Santo Domingo.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
The same reason people who live in "party cities" want to party in other "party cities". Who doesn't want to go to Vegas!? Amsterdam!? Tokyo!? London!?

In case of one who would like to visit Santo Domingo?! Maybe one's fantasy about las Dominicanas made his sorry horny S take a flight to see what's really good! :)

Other than that, the above sure applies to me.. but for sure isn't the main reason at all to visit Santo Domingo and if I didn't have my main reason I wouldn't be in Santo Domingo.

Ok I knew that had something to do with it THANKS!!!!!

Santo Domingo, Vegas, Amsterdam I see what you like to do LOL!!!

Mar 1, 2009
Hey m'man, do you speak Spanish and from where in MD county you from? If you are looking for a sweet gym bodyshop and golds lotsa eyecandy. Or you could hit one of the local mom n pop gyms around there with the tigueres. Let me know if you pass by Guibia, what do you think?

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Hey m'man, do you speak Spanish and from where in MD county you from? If you are looking for a sweet gym bodyshop and golds lotsa eyecandy. Or you could hit one of the local mom n pop gyms around there with the tigueres. Let me know if you pass by Guibia, what do you think?

My Spanish is talking can make a girl put a smile on her face, by far I'm not there yet.. but the understanding part I really really have to practice.

I'm from NW 7th street (overtown), just a 5 minute walk from the Government Center Station.

As for the gyms, I ain't got time to look around anymore.. on Google map it say that all the gyms are way too far from the Gazcue and Colonial zone area. And from taking a walk around the area I only found 2 gyms, 1 which I'm going now after eating my breakfast.

Yesterday I took a walk down the shore, I was in the Guibia area.. I went to a strip club over there and said hi to the ladies! :p If I didn't know better I would think I was the next best thing walking around on earth! These girls almost got me.

But other than that, this is going to be day 2.. I know my way around things now so we'll see.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
By the way, Google maps had me looking like a fool.. I thought the whole shore was a beach area! To only find out waves hitting the walls very very hard! Ooh well, maybe later this week.. :ermm:

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
You don't have time? Seriously?

When even my guide who is well known in the area can't find any other gyms, then it's time to let things go and just go to the one gym I did find. And no, I ain't got time at all. I feel like hitting the gym right now, it's going to be my morning routine and besides that I'm not here on holiday.

The gym looks more than fine, the price is more than okay.. let's go!

Mar 1, 2009
Ok, I know the area really well. I've worked by Government center, I'm sure you'll be super fluent by the time you bounce outta there. If you can't make it to the gym, in the morning. Then go to one of the malls. Plaza central is full of normal pretty girls! I'm stuck in Miami right now, I wish I was there.

Crytonb99

Jan 25, 2010
For those that dont know where the hotel is please don't forget to post the info for Hotel Danea. The address and telephone number. E-mail address if possible. Possible photos if you can.

Doc T

Dec 21, 2011
I'm 26 and thoroughbred Santo Domingo citizen. Clubs you want to hit up are Praia, Mint, Gold or LED if you want the trendy/expensive scene. Mint and Gold lesser so than Praia and LED. LED, Mint and Gold are great after hours spots. Zambra is cool and is right next to Sinatra, which is quite decent also. You can switch between both since they're right next to eachother. SHOTS is at the same plaza. 100 peso shots. You can get $hitfaced in 15 minutes flat if you're not careful. Doubles is one of my favorite Colonial Zone clubs.

HONESTLY, though, I'm a big fan of bar hopping in the Zona Colonial since it's exactly how I move in NYC except for the few days I do club. There's a huge amount of new bars, but the usual suspects are BIO (get a cubeta/bucket, thank me later), 8 puertas, and the Hard Rock cafe is damn good, too. Macdougales is a decent Irish pub. There's a hole in the wall called Casa Ibajagua that you may or may not like depending on what your preference is. Any question you need just ask.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I'm 26 and thoroughbred Santo Domingo citizen.

Wow a Thoroughbred...who'd have thunk we were growing those in Sto. Dgo. Modest any? Neighhhhhhhhh...cough, cough...

images

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Ok, I know the area really well. I've worked by Government center, I'm sure you'll be super fluent by the time you bounce outta there. If you can't make it to the gym, in the morning. Then go to one of the malls. Plaza central is full of normal pretty girls! I'm stuck in Miami right now, I wish I was there.

Nah, I went to the gym.. I haven't been to the malls yet. But being "stuck" in Miami? To be honest, I still don't know where the South Beach of Santo Domingo is. When driving from the airport I've noticed some South Beach type of ish going on, to only find out it's on the other side of the bridge.

All I saw was girls, girls, girls.. the more the driver kept driving the more sad my face turned. They said it was in Venezuela?

Oooh well, my time will come! Maybe tonight! :bunny:

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
I'm 26 and thoroughbred Santo Domingo citizen. Clubs you want to hit up are Praia, Mint, Gold or LED if you want the trendy/expensive scene. Mint and Gold lesser so than Praia and LED. LED, Mint and Gold are great after hours spots. Zambra is cool and is right next to Sinatra, which is quite decent also. You can switch between both since they're right next to eachother. SHOTS is at the same plaza. 100 peso shots. You can get $hitfaced in 15 minutes flat if you're not careful. Doubles is one of my favorite Colonial Zone clubs.

HONESTLY, though, I'm a big fan of bar hopping in the Zona Colonial since it's exactly how I move in NYC except for the few days I do club. There's a huge amount of new bars, but the usual suspects are BIO (get a cubeta/bucket, thank me later), 8 puertas, and the Hard Rock cafe is damn good, too. Macdougales is a decent Irish pub. There's a hole in the wall called Casa Ibajagua that you may or may not like depending on what your preference is. Any question you need just ask.

I'll send you a PM, but I don't like bar hopping at all and I don't like trendy clubs at all.. hell no! What I need is those places where it goes down, where that reggaeton is going hard and all da ladies are shaking that yu know what! PERREO!

I didn't come here to keep it neat & tight, yesterday I went to the end of the Colonial Zone. So not me! I had some words with a view people, it was nice & fun but naaah!

At the moment I'm working a little bit online, but I'll be out later.. let's see if you got it what it takes! :devious:

I've been walking around with my guide, his words make it seems like he runs the streets.. but I haven't seen him talking once to the fine girls who were walking by. My game in Spanish is beyond bad and even I managed to get a number. :ermm:

Wait till I do can speak Spanish..

Doc T

Dec 21, 2011
Suarezn, thoroughbred is a term used not just for horses, but you get 1 tryhard badge and half a smartass point for your efforts, lol. I'm not modest about growing up in Santo Domingo at ALL, bro. I extremely proud of it, sometimes to a fault.

I'll send you a PM, but I don't like bar hopping at all and I don't like trendy clubs at all.. hell no! What I need is those places where it goes down, where that reggaeton is going hard and all da ladies are shaking that yu know what! PERREO!

I didn't come here to keep it neat & tight, yesterday I went to the end of the Colonial Zone. So not me! I had some words with a view people, it was nice & fun but naaah!

At the moment I'm working a little bit online, but I'll be out later.. let's see if you got it what it takes! :devious:

I've been walking around with my guide, his words make it seems like he runs the streets.. but I haven't seen him talking once to the fine girls who were walking by. My game in Spanish is beyond bad and even I managed to get a number. :ermm:

Wait till I do can speak Spanish..

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Perreo. Zambra and Doubles get it in. Trust me. Maybe not to reggaeton, but it get's there.

What you're looking for specifically isn't all over this side. You're on the wrong side of the bridge, my good man. You need to hit up Makumba, La Lata and a few other spots on Venezuela Ave. that the names escape me since I just got back to the city a week ago.