SDQ to Juan Dolio Resort

SDQ19

Feb 6, 2012
I replied to a post asking a question but nobody has answered. I realized after posting that the thread was somewhat old, maybe this is why. So I decided to start my own thread with my question.

My wife and I will be taking a weekend getaway in about two weeks to Juan Dolio. We will be flying into Santo Domingo, and need transportation to the resort we will be staying in Juan Dolio. I know that they can be real "crooks" down there, so I wanted to have an idea as to what to expect to pay.

A relative of mine who lives in Santiago mentioned to me how we can take the bus to Juan Dolio from the airport. Any of you guys have experience with this? As far as to where to catch the bus, and around how much that would be. From what my relative said, it would be way cheaper than paying a taxi.

Thanks for any replies, and again, this site is great

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The bus does not leave from the airport so you will have to get a taxi or a motoconcho from the airport to the highway. It is about 5 minutes. The buses all go to Juan Dolio and will cost, from memory, around 50 pesos. They will let you off on the highway, depending on your hotel depends whether you will need another motoconcho to get to your hotel. With all that messing, unless travelling very light is probably best either to prebook a taxi and there are contacts on DR1 if you do the search function, or go to departures at the airport and negotiate with one who is dropping off - it is usually cheaper.

Matilda

edm7583

May 29, 2007
go upstairs to the departure level and offer 1000 pesos (26 USD) to an arriving taxi to take you to Juan Dolio and you will get it. I've never waited more than 5 minutes upstairs for a taxi to take me to the capital or west to Juan Dolio at the non ripoff price.

The official taxi at the arrivals level charges in most cases charges $50; sometimes quoting you more to see if you will pay it, then "bargain" down to 50 dollars.

SDQ19

Feb 6, 2012
The bus does not leave from the airport so you will have to get a taxi or a motoconcho from the airport to the highway. It is about 5 minutes. The buses all go to Juan Dolio and will cost, from memory, around 50 pesos. They will let you off on the highway, depending on your hotel depends whether you will need another motoconcho to get to your hotel. With all that messing, unless travelling very light is probably best either to prebook a taxi and there are contacts on DR1 if you do the search function, or go to departures at the airport and negotiate with one who is dropping off - it is usually cheaper.

Matilda

After reading your post I realized that will be a pain in the A** to do. I was trying to look for the most economical way of getting to the resort, but to go through all that is too much. Plus, I'm not traveling alone. If it was just me, then I would. I will be contacting Dre Broeders as recommended above by frank recktenwald. Thanks for your reply.

SDQ19

Feb 6, 2012
go upstairs to the departure level and offer 1000 pesos (26 USD) to an arriving taxi to take you to Juan Dolio and you will get it. I've never waited more than 5 minutes upstairs for a taxi to take me to the capital or west to Juan Dolio at the non ripoff price.

The official taxi at the arrivals level charges in most cases charges $50; sometimes quoting you more to see if you will pay it, then "bargain" down to 50 dollars.

Sounds pretty good. Now, is this a per person price? And are these "arriving taxis" pretty safe? I ask because I've heard that now over there the Dept of Tourism has specific taxis at the airport with drivers that have gone through background checks and things of that nature. I've heard of alot of horror stories and just want to make sure my wife and I are safe and not taking any risks. I was born and raised in Santo Domingo, but things have changed in the country since then.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
I think its not that simple on the arrivals level to get it with 1000p to JD if you are new to RD. Last week I went there to get a taxi to SD-Center and actually it was the same as downstears: a lot of offical and other guys offering you this and that. I was in hurry so I had only time to handle it from 1300 to 1150. And I think JD is a longer trip. I wouldn't spend too much time to argue of a few $. With you situation the taxis are safe.