Car Rental: SDQ vs LT

Rickey

Oct 25, 2011
Been considering a car rental for our 12 days in the DR.

My question is; Do we rent a car at SDQ?..or take the caribe tours bus to LT, rent there for the ten days and then bus back to SD. Reason I am considering waiting till we're in LT is because our flight arrives to SDQ after 10:00 pm on a Saturday night. I've read postings that said it wasn't a good idea for greenhorns to drive in SD at night.

We're flying into SDQ, staying the night in the Zona Colonial, then 10 days in LT and back to SD for another night in the Zona Colonial before our flight home. With everything we want to see spread out allover the Samana Penninsula and taxis costing $50 USD each way, a car rental is starting to make sense.

We are planning on seveal day trips; Playas, Rincon, Fronton & Moron, El Limon and day trips to Samana for whale watching, zip lining, Los Haitises, caving and Cayo Levantodo.

What do you think?

Driftwood

Feb 7, 2012
I've read postings that said it wasn't a good idea for greenhorns to drive in SD at night.

We're flying into SDQ, staying the night in the Zona Colonial, then 10 days in LT and back to SD for another night in the Zona Colonial before our flight home.

It would make perfect sense to collect your car (or have it delivered to your hotel) in the morning of your arrival and departure for LT. This will eliminate the problem of driving at night.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Rent in SDQ... The drive is magnificent... really one of the best highways in the world

and your selection of cars and service will be better

I always use Dollar Rent a Car here.. I know that they will come find me if I break down .. ANYWHERE!

(Ok, now they only rent me the BRAND new cars because they know where I am likely to end up!)

There is a great tipica truck stop just a Nagua .. I always stop for lunch there.

Then take the OLD road up the mountain at Sanchez

(that is DO NOT turn left at the new highway when you exit at Nagua.)

This gives you the hair raising drive up over the mountains into LT and a much deeper understanding of what it took to get the place built!

You can take the new road back - it will save you about a half and hour but will cost an extra 900 pesos in tolls.

If you can afford an SUV, that will be your best adventure bet for Samana but a little car will make it fine, as well. (Not sure about getting to Playa Rincon with one, never tried it)

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
It would make perfect sense to collect your car (or have it delivered to your hotel) in the morning of your arrival and departure for LT. This will eliminate the problem of driving at night.

Agreed. Driving in SD at night is an unnecessary hassle on vacation unless your goal for travel is learning about the driving experience in a 3rd world country..... for example as my contacts (and drivers) in SD have grown over the course of multiple trips to SD, I have gotten to the point where I rarely (don't have the need) rent a car anymore if I am staying in and around town.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Its less than 2 hours to LT from the Zona. No problem in daylight.

That truck stop is left off the autopista, Lt is to the right.

450 pesos is the toll and the trip out is the less scenic. Pay it coming back to SDQ.

Autopista to the end ~350 pesos, right at the end and thru the Sanchez booth w/ no toll.
Left at Sanchez up and over the hill. The road is new and much easier w/ a great view of the bay over your shoulder.

Definitely car from SDQ not LT - hotel delivery as suggested.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
The night you arrive at Las Americas airport I would take a taxi to the Colonial zone. It is difficult drive at night and it is not easy to find the Colonial zone if you are not familiar with the roads. You could make arrangements to have a rental company meet you at your hotel with the car the next day. Driving to Las Terrenas is fairly easy once you are on the Santo Domingo/Samana h'way

S

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
Why go to the colonial zone at 10 pm if you are going to rent a vehicle and take the samana highway the next morning? Stay near SDQ and rent the next morning, you will get a much better deal at the airport and the road is much easier to find from the airport.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
well the truck stop that I eat at is the one right on the highway

and I would not drive into the Zona at night

is it true that you get a better deal on car rental at the airport? I don't think that is the case with Dollar. Of course you do save on the cab fare into the Zona and you want to leave it at the airport.

Rickey

Oct 25, 2011
Thank y'all very much for the recommendations. We are going to rent an suv and have it delivered to the hotel. That is a great solution.

Reason we are staying in the Zona Colonial on either end of our travel is because we want a couple of half days to see the sights around El Conde. We are history buffs and are excited to visit this historical area. There are a couple of museums we want to visit and historic architechture to see. Also, we want to attend mass sunday morning at the Catedral Primada...oldest church in the americas!

Thanks,

Rick

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Why go to the colonial zone at 10 pm if you are going to rent a vehicle and take the samana highway the next morning? Stay near SDQ and rent the next morning, you will get a much better deal at the airport and the road is much easier to find from the airport.

I don't know about SDQ, but at Budget at PUJ you pay a 10 percent premium for renting from the office in the airport vs. the Bavaro office a few miles away at the Coco loco intersection.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
CaptnGlenn is right - there is a surcharge at SDQ for renting at the airport. Which is the reason we always pick up our car in Santo Domingo. Of course, we have family to pick us up at the airport, if you have to take a taxi it's a moot point.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I know it could be different in S.D., but the Bavaro Budget will pick you up at the airport and take you to their office to get your car. No taxi needed. Doubt if this is any help to the O.P. because of the late arrival. Like others warned, I don't think I'd advise driving into S.D. late at night.

Rickey

Oct 25, 2011
Well it took a little digging around, but finally found Avis car rental will deliver to the hotel. They are going to have us rent out of the downtown office and then drop off at the airport. Pretty cool! Works well for us.

Also,wound up saving a bit of dough by purchasing car rental insurance through my AAA membership rather than at the rental company.

Additionally, in a previous post, we had been told that the Discover card is not accepted in LT. Were glad to confirm with Avis that they accept Discover in SD for car rental.

Thanks Again,
Rick