Introduction

arwilliams1968

Feb 8, 2012
Greetings!

I am brand new to this site. I am a single father in my 40s and planning to move from Boston to Juan Dolio with my 8 year old son over the summer. It would be extremely helpful for me to gain some insight regarding how to go about finding quality domestic help and thoughts and experiences about the international school in Juan Dolio (Villas del Mar).

Specifically I am wondering:

1) What is the best way to go about finding a childcare provider and a housekeeper/cook?
2) What is the best way to check references for domestic help?
3) How much should I expect to pay (monthly) for a part-time childcare provider who speaks English and can occasionally work overnight?
4) How much should I expect to pay (monthly) for a housekeeper/cook (assuming 4 hour a day, 6 days a week)
5) What are some general perspectives regarding the Villas del Mar school in Juan Dolio - particularly for elementary school?

Thanks for your help! We are very excited about our pending move!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
1) What is the best way to go about finding a childcare provider and a housekeeper/cook?

on the ground really. most likely to be dominican as few expats in jd now
2) What is the best way to check references for domestic help?
unlikely to find references
3) How much should I expect to pay (monthly) for a part-time childcare provider who speaks English and can occasionally work overnight?
Unlikely to find anyone who speaks english
4) How much should I expect to pay (monthly) for a housekeeper/cook (assuming 4 hour a day, 6 days a week)
8k a month
5) What are some general perspectives regarding the Villas del Mar school in Juan Dolio - particularly for elementary school?
has a reasonable rep but very religious. depends on the other kids in the class at the time

Juan Dolio is going through changes in that is more apts for rich dominicans at the weekend. There are many Haitian women there looking for work but none speak english. To be honest your best bet would be to find an English speaking person and there are a few there or in San Pedro who are with Dominican boyfriends or husbands, and pay them a decent wage like US$1000 a month.

Matilda

arwilliams1968

Feb 8, 2012
Could you provide a little more insight regarding the changes that are going on in Juan Dolio? I am in the process of buying there and it would be great to gain some other perspectives before committing to spend over a 1/4 million US$. I was steered towards Juan Dolio as a more family friendly place than SD, with the benefits of the beach. What would you say are its negatives?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I left around 18 months ago having lived there for 10 years so things might have changed. Positives are that it is near a fab beach, not far from the capital for all those things that have to be done there, and excellent healthcare in the capital, 15 mins from San Pedro with an international supermarket, a beautiful beach.

Negatives are that once you leave the main boulevard and go into the area behind, the poverty is appalling, as there are hundreds of Haitians living there who work, or who used to work in construction. I have nothing at all against Haitians, far from it but their living conditions do not contribute to the ambiance, security nor health of the area. There is significant crime in Juan Dolio as it is easy to make a quick getaway using the highway - there are on average 2-3 murders a year - and yes some have some 'explained' rationale behind them, but some were simply robberies. before I left there were a gang of armed robbers targetting expat homes and several were robbed and beaten. It is pretty dead in the week and chaotic at the weekend when the rich Dominicans come to their weekend apartments.

the international school is good, access to the airport is good, but I have discovered that if you want peace, crime free, friendly people, family friendly you would be far better living in an all Dominican area than one with expats and rich weekend visitors.

However, given that you probably need an international school and you want beach access, if the closeness to Santo Domingo is not that important then maybe think of looking at Punta Cana - I have been there but not lived there and it seems to me it has a lot more to offer.

matilda

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Could you provide a little more insight regarding the changes that are going on in Juan Dolio? I am in the process of buying there and it would be great to gain some other perspectives before committing to spend over a 1/4 million US$. I was steered towards Juan Dolio as a more family friendly place than SD, with the benefits of the beach. What would you say are its negatives?

I certainly would not buy anything in JD before living there for a while to see if it fits your needs. That same advice goes for any area in the DR. Renting is normal for expats. Owning isn't necessary. It is not like in the US where we buy and sell when we relocate for whatever reason. Selling doesn't happen so fast in the DR.
I too have lived in JD and agree with Matildas comments. The town has changed a lot.
Good Luck