Findng a man in the Dominican Republic

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
Hi All,

I am a 28 year old Canadian woman and I am relocating to DR for work.

I will be living in Santiago. What are the chances of me meeting a nice guy to date there?

Is it completely out of the question? I am hearing horror stories about Dominican men..

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
There are lots of nice Dominican men you just need to learn the difference between a nice Dominican guy and one that's full of BS and will do anything to scam you. ;)

Lots of info here, start reading.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would say leave the clubs for the churches or failing that take some evening classes at PUCMM. They offer many masters programs at night and it's economical and best of all lots of fun.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I am in my fifties and many young ladies of 28 and younger here in the DR seem to find me extremely attractive. I am convinced it is because of my rugged good looks and charm and nothing to do with the fact that they hope I am a stupid gringo who will allow them to spend all my money. It would make a nice change to spend some time with a young gringo lady and I am sure you will find me just as attractive as the Dominican girls do. It would probably save me some money too. So feel free to contact me. ;)

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
hummm, slow Sunday, almost 4 hours later and that's all we got? :laugh:

So true, lol.
A 28 y/o Gringo lady will have sooo many opportunities. Please tell your future boyfriend that I am sorry to hear about his mothers illness, the death of his grandpa and I am sad that he lost his cell phone and needs a visa to Canada to find it.
There AnnaC.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
hummm, slow Sunday, almost 4 hours later and that's all we got? :laugh:

Be careful of those that want to "Bless" your money
...... and those seeking a "Sugar Mommy" to pay their college tuition.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Be vewwy vewwy careful, as Elmer Fudd would say.

But that's the general rule for dating anywhere. But here, take that a step further, and be even more careful. There's good Dominican men and bad ones, generally in the tourist areas you'll find more of the bad ones. Santiago has a large variety to choose from, quite a few middle and working class men. Good luck, and keep a discerning eye open.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
From what the men on DR1 say Santiago is a good place to find a decent woman. It should be the same for finding a good man.
Look for a profession man if you are a professional woman.
Good Luck

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I am a 28 year old Canadian woman and I am relocating to DR for work.
I will be living in Santiago. What are the chances of me meeting a nice guy to date there?
Is it completely out of the question? I am hearing horror stories about Dominican men..

Girlfriend, you are in for the time of your life!

Now, this is going to sound so pitifully old-fashioned that I can't believe I'm the one saying it. First, reputation goes both ways, and reputations are important in the DR. So give yourself sometime to get adjusted to life and work first. Make friends, especially with the women (both married and not) that you work with. Plan on going out "with the group" for a while, leave the one-on-one dating for later.

As Chip said, go to the university, church, or join a group of something you like. Once you have that circle of friends and girlfriends, who can steer you clear and dust you off, then you'll be ready. By this time you'll have seen and been approached so many times, the novelty will have worn off for you.

I've seen the most adamant of feminists fall to her knees for her "Dominican". Resistance is futile. Choose wisely.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Exactly. Like everywhere else success does depend on the quality of candidates she can attract. Also, enough of this church crap. If a person isn't particularly religious then it is quite pointless looking in the church. The most important part of a successful relationship is shared values. People who go to bars and discos aren't inherently bad people. Nor are church folks the cream of the crop.

Without knowing you, I can't say what your chances may be.